Why is the Force on the Wire Directed from Stronger to Weaker Field?

In summary: You can show that the force is given by$$\vec{F}_{\text{mag}}=\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{\nabla} (\vec{M} \cdot \vec{B}_{\text{wire}}),$$where the integral is over the volume of the magnet and ##\vec{M}## is the magnetic-dipole density within the magnet.
songoku
1602850831859.png

I understand how the weaker and stronger field occurs but I don't understand why the force on the wire is directed from stronger to weaker field. I mean why not from weaker to stronger?

I also want to ask about Newton's 3rd law in this case. Newton's 3rd law states that for every action there will be equal and opposite reaction. So let say the force on wire in the picture as "action", what will be the "reaction"? The force on the wire is due to the (unbalanced) field so the "reaction" will be the force on (unbalanced) field by the wire?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the wire is due to the current running through it. If you make the field of the magnet ##\vec{B}=B \vec{e}_x## then ##\vec{j}=-j \vec{e}_z## and the force per unit volume of the wire is ##\vec{f}=\vec{j} \times \vec{B}=-j B \vec{e}_y##. I don't know, what this has to do with an "unbalanced field" (whatever this might be).

Last edited:
Likes songoku and etotheipi
I am really sorry, I don't understand the notation used.

vanhees71 said:
The force on the wire is due to the current running through it. If you make the field of the magnet ##\vec{B}=B \vec{e}_x## then ##\vec{j}=-j \vec{e}_z##

Do you mean ##\vec{B}## is the magnetic field of the magnet (which is to the right based on the picture)?

And what is ##\vec{j}## ?

I don't know, what this has to do with an "unbalanced field" (whatever this might be).
By unbalanced field, I mean there is stronger and weaker region of magnetic field (in picture (b)).

I was taught that the magnetic force occurs due to interaction between 2 magnetic fields, one is from the magnet and one is produced by the current flowing through the wire. This interaction will create unbalanced field, one region is stronger (upper part of wire in picture (b) ) and one region is weaker (lower part of wire in picture (b) ). This stronger and weaker field will give rise to magnetic force acting on the wire, which is directed from stronger field to weaker field (downwards based on picture (b) )

Thanks

Two magnetic fields do not interact (in classical electrodynamics). The total field is just the sum of the fields of the permanent magnet (which I assumed to be approximately constant as given in the picture) and the field due to the current through the wire, and ##\vec{j}## is the current density in the wire. The total force is
$$\vec{F}=V \vec{f}=-A l j B \vec{e}_y=-l I B \vec{e}_y,$$
where ##l## is the length of the wire and ##A## its cross-sectional area.

songoku said:
I also want to ask about Newton's 3rd law in this case. Newton's 3rd law states that for every action there will be equal and opposite reaction. So let say the force on wire in the picture as "action", what will be the "reaction"?

The wire also exerts a force on the magnet!

Likes songoku, berkeman and vanhees71
songoku said:
I understand how the weaker and stronger field occurs but I don't understand why the force on the wire is directed from stronger to weaker field. I mean why not from weaker to stronger?
You can think of this in terms of energy. The energy in the field is proportional to the square of the B field. If the wire moves in the direction of the weaker field then that will increase the weak field and decrease the strong field. Because the energy is proportional to the square of the field the energy reduction of the strong field will be larger than the energy increase of the weak field. This implies a force in that direction which can be used to do work equal to the net reduction in energy.

Likes songoku and vanhees71
etotheipi said:
The wire also exerts a force on the magnet!
Let say the force on the wire is F, so there will be upwards force of magnitude F on right magnet and there will also be upwards force of magnitude F on left magnet?

Thanks

songoku said:
Let say the force on the wire is F, so there will be upwards force of magnitude F on right magnet and there will also be upwards force of magnitude F on left magnet?
If there were then you would have a reactionless drive. So no.

Likes songoku
Dale said:
If there were then you would have a reactionless drive. So no.
Or maybe the force on left and right magnet should be F/2 upwards for each?

Thanks

Of course, there's a force on the magnet by the wire. You can calculate it in the same way as for the force on the wire by the magnet. It's only not so straight forward, because you don't have an obvious current density here, because it's a permanent magnet.

For this you can show that the force is given by
$$\vec{F}_{\text{mag}}=\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{\nabla} (\vec{M} \cdot \vec{B}_{\text{wire}}),$$
where the integral is over the volume of the magnet and ##\vec{M}## is the magnetic-dipole density within the magnet.

Thank you very much vanhees71, etotheipi, Dale

1. Why is the force on the wire directed from stronger to weaker field?

The force on a wire is directed from stronger to weaker field because of the principle of electromagnetic induction. This principle states that when a wire moves through a magnetic field, a current is induced in the wire. The direction of this current is such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field. This creates a force on the wire that is directed from the stronger to the weaker field.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on the wire. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force on the wire will be. This is because a stronger magnetic field will induce a larger current in the wire, which in turn creates a stronger opposing magnetic field and a larger force on the wire.

3. What factors besides the magnetic field strength can affect the force on the wire?

Besides the magnetic field strength, the force on the wire can also be affected by the length of the wire, the angle between the wire and the magnetic field, and the amount of current flowing through the wire. These factors can all impact the strength of the induced current and therefore, the force on the wire.

4. Can the force on the wire be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field?

Yes, the force on the wire can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field. This is because the direction of the induced current in the wire will also change, resulting in a force that is now directed from the weaker to the stronger magnetic field.

5. How is the direction of the force on the wire determined?

The direction of the force on the wire is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the thumb of your right hand is pointed in the direction of the current in the wire, and your fingers are pointed in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of your hand will be facing in the direction of the force on the wire. This rule can also be used to determine the direction of the induced current or magnetic field, given the other two variables.