Why is the Lorentz force linear with velocity?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the derivation of Lorentz force, which involves both fields and velocity dependence. The speaker is looking for a physical derivation that can be illustrated through a thought experiment, potentially involving the oscillations of electrons in an atom. They mention previous attempts at deriving the force using special relativity and the definition of electric field, but they are not satisfied with those methods. They also express curiosity about any available sources for this type of derivation.
Phycist161
I am working on derivation of Lorentz force. (I know that Lorentz force is in some sense definition of fields, but still there is nontrivial dependence on velocity).

I want to derive that the force is linear in components of velocity, so for example $$F_x=q(E+Av_x + Bv_y + Cv_z ),$$where ##A, B, C## are some numbers. From that, I already derived the vector multiplication ##\vec v \times \vec B##.
I want to derive it only from relativity and conservation laws.

I've seen similar derivation starting with ##F=qE## (definition of electric field) and special relativity. That force is transformed to another frame of reference and it is shown that there is velocity dependent part of force in that frame.

But I want a physical derivation, something like thought experiment. I think it has something to do with oscillations of electrons in an atom.

I would be grateful for some ideas. I would also appreciate if you could send me a source (website or name of a book) for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't derive electromagnetism from relativity and 'conservation laws'; if you could, please go collect your Nobel prize :)

Replusz said:
You can't derive electromagnetism from relativity and 'conservation laws'; if you could, please go collect your Nobel prize :)

I forgot to mention that I would also assume definition of electric field ##F=qE##
Anyway there is similar derivation starting with ##F=qE## (definition of electric field) and special relativity. That force is transformed to another frame of reference and it is shown that there is velocity dependent part of force in that frame.

But I want a physical derivation, something like thought experiment. I think it has something to do with oscillations of electrons in an atom.

Last edited:

1. Why is the Lorentz force linear with velocity?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the interaction between an electric field and a moving charged particle. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. The linearity of this force with velocity can be explained by the fact that the magnetic field is directly proportional to the velocity of the particle, and therefore, the force is also linearly dependent on velocity.

2. What is the significance of the Lorentz force being linear with velocity?

The linearity of the Lorentz force with velocity is significant because it allows us to predict the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. This relationship also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators.

3. Is the Lorentz force always linear with velocity?

No, the Lorentz force is only linear with velocity when the magnetic field is constant and the particle's velocity is non-relativistic. In other cases, such as when the magnetic field is changing or the particle's velocity is close to the speed of light, the force may not be linear with velocity.

4. Can the Lorentz force be negative?

Yes, the Lorentz force can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the particle's motion. In such cases, the force is said to be acting against the particle's motion, causing it to slow down or change direction.

5. How does the Lorentz force affect the trajectory of a charged particle?

The Lorentz force acts perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields and is responsible for the curved motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field. This force causes the particle to accelerate towards the center of the circular path, resulting in a helical or circular trajectory depending on the initial velocity and magnetic field strength.