Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the magnetic field stronger at this specific point?

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    A rod (shown in the picture on the link) rotates around the point O in a magnetic field. It is said for sure that the induced EMF in the rod is larger at point R compared to point P. Why's that?

The picture: http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicskx4.png
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    The EMF is larger because the area of the enclosed circuit is larger. The magnetic field is NOT larger, it is constant.
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Oh I meant the EMF of course. But can you please explain your answer more thoroughly I don't fully understand the situation.
  5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    The EMF is given by:
    [tex]\epsilon = \oint \left( \textbf{v} \times \textbf{B}\right) \cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]
    Here, B is the magnetic field, dl is a small segment of a circuit, and v is the velocity of a charge in that circuit.

If you think of the electrons in the rotating rod as charges going around in a circular circuit, then you can easily see why the EMF is larger when you get further from the origin.
    First of all, the velocity v is larger, secondly the path of integration (the length of the loop) is larger.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?