Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the scale 1:10

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Because I cannot draw a picture in this problem, I will do my best to describe it in words.

This problem is about a circular railway track. The diagram that goes with it shows one of the 15 curved pieces. Its width is MEASURED 1 cm and its arc length of the inner edge is MEASURED 30 cm.

The circular model railway track is made by connecting the 15 identical pieces. When the 15 pieces are assembled, the circumference of the inner edge is 450 cm. The radius of the inner edge is 71.6 cm. So, the scale used in the DIAGRAM is 1:10.

I don't understand why the scale for the diagram is 1:10.

Can someone please explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    It's just saying that the drawing is [itex]\frac{1}{10}[/itex]th the size of what it would be in real life. It's giving an aspect of scale. So each CM is actually represented by a millimeter in the drawing.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Can you grab on of the pieces and put right on top of its diagram? Is the drawing the same size as the actual piece? If so, the drawing's scale is 1:1 ....if the drawing is a lot smaller than the actual piece (10 times smaller) that it is 1:10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook