Why is the speed of light what it is?

In summary, the speed of light is a result of mankind's choice of units for time and space, and is independent of those units.
cybernomad
I'm a newbie here - this is my first post - and have interest in physics. Now we understand if force ‘a’ is applied to mass ‘b’ for ‘c’ seconds we can determine it velocity in the absence of any friction or other force.

So my question is do we have a similar fundamental understanding of the speed of light of why it is what it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
We do know that the speed of light is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu_0 \epsilon_0}}[/tex]

[itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is the permittivity of free space, [itex]\mu_0[/itex] is the permeability. The speed of light is a cosequence of these two numbers via maxwell's equation.

Of course, you can always ask why these parameters have the values they have. (But in general one can always keep asking "why this? why that? why the other thing?).

cybernomad said:
So my question is do we have a similar fundamental understanding of the speed of light of why it is what it is?
Speed is (measurement unit)/(measurement unit). The fact that the speed of light happens to be the seemingly random number 299792458 m/s is a result of mankind's choice of units for time and space, which is obviously not Nature's preference. These units are often redefined in relativistic calculations so that the speed of light becomes exactly 1, which is probably more in line with the system of units that Nature prefers.

The numerical value of the speed of light of course depends on our choice of units for distance and time. Nevertheless the speed of light has a sort of magnitude that is independent of those units, because we can relate the traveling of light to other physical phenomena.

For example, the speed of light (in whatever units) is such that it takes about 4.3 times as long for light to travel from Earth to Alpha Centauri, as it does for the Earth to travel once around the sun, as measured in the Earth's reference frame. Why not 43 times as long, or 4300?

As far as I know there is no generally accepted explanation for why light travels at the first speed and not the other ones. I can't even think of any non-generally-accepted explanations, off the top of my head.

1. Why is the speed of light considered to be a universal constant?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is considered to be a universal constant because it is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This means that no matter where an observer is located in the universe, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. Rømer used observations of the moons of Jupiter to estimate the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth, resulting in a speed of light measurement of approximately 220,000 kilometers per second.

3. What does the speed of light have to do with the theory of relativity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity. In his special theory of relativity, Einstein postulated that the speed of light is constant for all observers and is independent of the motion of the source or the observer. This concept led to the famous equation E=mc^2, which states that mass and energy are equivalent and that the speed of light is a fundamental limit in the universe.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is impossible for any object or information to exceed the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further. Additionally, the laws of physics, as we know them, break down at speeds faster than the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of light affect our daily lives?

The speed of light has a profound impact on our everyday lives, even though we may not always realize it. For example, without the speed of light, we wouldn't be able to see anything around us, as light is responsible for our sense of vision. Additionally, the speed of light is utilized in technologies such as fiber optics, lasers, and satellite communications, making it a crucial aspect of modern life.