Why is the voltage regulator waveform identical to the diode bridge waveform?

In summary, the voltage regulator waveform (purple curve) is identical to the voltage waveform coming from the diode bridge (green curve) because it represents the voltage drop across the BJT. The output voltage (12V) is the input voltage to the BJT minus the voltage drop across the BJT. This results in a constant voltage (red curve) when added together. The purple waveform is not an inverse of the green waveform, as it represents the voltage drop across the BJT and not the voltage itself. The purple waveform can be found by subtracting the red waveform from the green waveform. This is because the output voltage (12V) is the input voltage minus the voltage drop across the BJT.
Xyius
I am doing a homework problem for my Power Electronics class. I have attached the relevant image. My question is, (referring to the TOP plot) why is the voltage regulator waveform (purple curve) identical to the voltage waveform coming from the diode bridge (green curve)? Shouldn't it be the inverse? My understanding was that when you add the voltage regulator waveform and the waveform that isn't constant (which would be the green curve in this case) you will get a constant voltage (red curve). However, the way it is shown, it would seem like you have to subtract them. Why is this??

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 674
Physics news on Phys.org
Purple = Green - Red.

The purple waveform is the voltage drop across the BJT. The output voltage (12V) is the input voltage to the BJT minus the voltage drop across the BJT.

Related to Why is the voltage regulator waveform identical to the diode bridge waveform?

1. What is a voltage regulator waveform?

A voltage regulator waveform is a graphical representation of the output voltage of a voltage regulator over a period of time. It shows how the output voltage changes in response to changes in the input voltage or load.

2. How is a voltage regulator waveform measured?

A voltage regulator waveform is measured using an oscilloscope, which is a device that captures and displays electrical signals as a graph. The oscilloscope is connected to the output of the voltage regulator and the voltage fluctuations are displayed as a waveform on the screen.

3. What is the significance of analyzing a voltage regulator waveform?

Analyzing a voltage regulator waveform allows us to understand the performance of the regulator and identify any issues or abnormalities. It can also help in troubleshooting and optimizing the regulator's output voltage.

4. What are some common abnormalities in a voltage regulator waveform?

Some common abnormalities in a voltage regulator waveform include voltage spikes, ripple voltage, and voltage drop. These can be caused by issues such as faulty components, inadequate cooling, or improper circuit design.

5. How can a voltage regulator waveform be improved?

A voltage regulator waveform can be improved by selecting high-quality components, proper circuit design, and adequate cooling. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help in ensuring the waveform remains stable and within the desired range.