Why is the work done by gravity not equal to the -ΔGPE? (unrolling carpet)

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done by gravity on a carpet that is unrolling from a cylindrical shape to a flat shape. The mass of the cylindrical part of the carpet is modeled as M = kR2, and the differential work done by gravity is calculated as dW = -MgdR = -kR2gdR. The total work done by gravity is found to be W = ∫dW = -(kg/3)Δ(R3). However, there is a discrepancy in the calculation as the change in gravitational potential energy (-ΔGPE) should equal the work done by gravity, regardless of any loss of energy to deformation. The conversation also discusses
Nathanael
Homework Helper
Suppose we have a carpet rolled (along it's length) into the shape of a cylinder (of radius R0). Now we allow the carpet to unroll to a radius Rf < R0.
We can model the mass of the cylindrical part of the carpet as M = kR2

The differential work done by gravity would be dW = -MgdR = -kR2gdR
This leads to the total work done by gravity W = ∫dW = -(kg/3)Δ(R3)

But if we consider just the initial and final states: We start with mass M0=kR02 a distance R0 above the ground and end with Mf=kRf2 a distance Rf above the ground.
So the (negative of the) change in gravitational potential energy is M0gR0-MfgRf = kg(R03-Rf3) = -kgΔ(R3) which is three times what the work done by gravity was.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you letting it unroll of its own accord, so that the remaining roll gains KE?

NascentOxygen said:
Are you letting it unroll of its own accord, so that the remaining roll gains KE?
Yes. We can also assume it unrolls without slipping.

Seems irrelevant; shouldn't the work done by gravity equal the -ΔGPE regardless?

If we let a particle fall freely a distance, or if we apply an upwards force so that it falls with a constant velocity, the work done by gravity will still equal the -ΔGPE either way.

The carpet is not a rigid body. Some energy is lost to deforming it. (Assuming the math was correct).

DaleSpam said:
The carpet is not a rigid body. Some energy is lost to deforming it. (Assuming the math was correct).
I am not arguing that energy is conserved.

The work done by gravity should be equal to the -ΔGPE regardless of if energy is lost. This is basically the definition of GPE.

Nathanael said:
This leads to the total work done by gravity W = ∫dW = -(kg/3)Δ(R3)

I'm not too terribly familiar with integrals. Where did d happen to go?

How do you figure that formula for work? If you unroll it by a small angle, some parts go up, some go down. You seem to assume that the whole mass M goes down by dR.

Likes Nugatory
It also doesn't seem to account for the delta PE of the unrolled section.

nasu said:
How do you figure that formula for work? If you unroll it by a small angle, some parts go up, some go down. You seem to assume that the whole mass M goes down by dR.
Sorry, I don't see your point: If we were to account for every piece of mass then we should find that only the displacement of the center of mass is relevant, right?
If a ball is rotating and falling, some parts go up, some go down... but the CoM movement still gives the work done by gravity (as that is where gravity is effectively acting).

I am implicitly splitting it into two objects at each instant, the cylindrical part of the carpet and the flat part of the carpet. I don't see why this is wrong, though.

DaleSpam said:
It also doesn't seem to account for the delta PE of the unrolled section.
I'm not sure what you mean. By unrolled section you mean the cylindrical part? By "it also" you are talking about my work calculation? Can you explain?
Drakkith said:
I'm not too terribly familiar with integrals. Where did d happen to go?
The "d" is not a variable or value, it's like the "d" in dy/dx (if you know about derivatives). So "dR" means a differential change in R.

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
and end with Mf=kRf2 a distance Rf above the ground.
I mean that this formula is incorrect. It ignores the mass which has been unrolled.

By unrolled section I mean the part which is not in the cylinder any more.

Looks to me like you set up dW incorrectly: The mass is a variable too, since as you unroll it, it loses mass. Your dW appears to use a constant mass (at each "step") and only a differential of height.

In essence/from the other side (as the others were saying), you are leaving mass on the floor, so that mass is dropped the entire distance of the radius, not just the incremental distance.

DaleSpam said:
I mean that this formula is incorrect. It ignores the mass which has been unrolled.

By unrolled section I mean the part which is not in the cylinder any more.
The total work on the carpet is the work on the cylindrical part plus the work on the flat part, right? The work on the flat part is zero, which is why I left it out. Sorry if I missed your point.

russ_watters said:
Looks to me like you set up dW incorrectly: The mass is a variable too, since as you unroll it, it loses mass. Your dW appears to use a constant mass (at each "step") and only a differential of height.

In essence/from the other side (as the others were saying), you are leaving mass on the floor, so that mass is dropped the entire distance of the radius, not just the incremental distance.
But if we consider how much of the carpet is left on the floor (at each "step") it would be Rdθ (which we could express in terms of dR and the thickness if we wanted) which is only a differential amount.
Since only a differential amount of mass is left behind at each "step," it will have a negligible effect on the location of center of mass of the cylindrical part.

It is because of this effect that I took the mass to be variable (w.r.t. R). How else would I quantify this effect?

Nathanael said:
But if we consider how much of the carpet is left on the floor (at each "step") it would be Rdθ (which we could express in terms of dR and the thickness if we wanted) which is only a differential amount.
Since only a differential amount of mass is left behind at each "step," it will have a negligible effect on the location of center of mass of the cylindrical part.
If differentials we're truly negligible, we wouldn't use them at all. That one, when you sum it, accounts for all of the mass of the carpet if you unroll the whole thing!

Edited;

Okay, I was thinking it just leads to higher-order-differentials but I was doing it wrong, sorry.

Using the formula RCoM = ΣiRimi/(Σimi) we get:
##dy_{CoM} = R-\frac{k(R-dr)^2(R-dr)}{kR^2} = 3dR##
Whereas in my OP I was using ##dy_{CoM} = dR## which is why it was small by a factor of 3

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
The "d" is not a variable or value, it's like the "d" in dy/dx (if you know about derivatives). So "dR" means a differential change in R.

Whoops, I meant the d in MgdR. You have it up until you do the integral, at which point it disappears. Just wondering why.

Drakkith said:
Whoops, I meant the d in MgdR. You have it up until you do the integral, at which point it disappears. Just wondering why.
Just to be clear, it is (M)*(g)*(dR). In other words the "dR" is a single term.

The reason it disappears is because I integrated it: ##\int -MgdR = \int -kgR^2dR = -kg \int R^2dR = -kg\frac{R_f^3-R_0^3}{3} = -\frac{kg}{3}\Delta (R^3)##

(Sorry for the confusion, I left out this step in the OP)

Nathanael said:
The total work on the carpet is the work on the cylindrical part plus the work on the flat part, right? The work on the flat part is zero, which is why I left it out. Sorry if I missed your point.
I am talking about your expression for the energy in the initial and final state. That expression fails to account for the energy of the flat part.

Edit: I didn't check the math but it looks like you may have figured out the problem in post 14

DaleSpam said:
I am talking about your expression for the energy in the initial and final state. That expression fails to account for the energy of the flat part.
I can write it like this if you'd like:

##[PE_{initial}]-[PE_{final}] = [M_0g(R+C)]-[M_fg(R+C)+(M_0-M_f)gC]##

In my OP I took the ground to be the zero potential (hence C = 0) because it doesn't make a difference.

Are you unrolling this horizontally or vertically?

DaleSpam said:
Are you unrolling this horizontally or vertically?
Horizontally (should have mentioned that in the OP, sorry).

I was envisioning it vertically please ignore my comments. I am not sure if any of them are relevant.

Nathanael said:
Just to be clear, it is (M)*(g)*(dR). In other words the "dR" is a single term.

Oh. I thought d was distance above/below some reference height.

1. Why is the work done by gravity not equal to the -ΔGPE?

The work done by gravity is not equal to the -ΔGPE because the -ΔGPE only takes into account the change in the potential energy of the system, while the work done by gravity also takes into account the displacement of the object. This means that the work done by gravity includes both the change in potential energy and the change in kinetic energy of the object.

2. How does the displacement of the object affect the work done by gravity?

The displacement of the object affects the work done by gravity because the work done is equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the displacement of the object in the direction of gravity. This means that the further the object is displaced, the more work is done by gravity.

3. Can you explain the concept of potential energy in relation to gravity?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system. In the case of gravity, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the more potential energy it has.

4. What is the relationship between work, energy, and gravity?

The relationship between work, energy, and gravity can be explained through the concept of conservation of energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, and gravity is one of the forces that can do work on an object. This means that the work done by gravity can transfer the potential energy of an object into kinetic energy.

5. How does the unrolling of a carpet relate to the concept of work done by gravity?

The unrolling of a carpet is a real-life example of work being done by gravity. As the carpet unrolls, the force of gravity is acting on it, causing it to move and transfer potential energy into kinetic energy. This is an example of how the work done by gravity can affect the displacement of an object in a gravitational field.