Why is there a dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term dx/dx in the derivative of a function, specifically in the context of F(x,y) = 0 and the total derivative. It is questioned why this step is necessary and it is mentioned that it may seem redundant. The conversation mentions the Briggs Calculus as a reference.
DrummingAtom
I tried deriving this one on my own and I'm just not understanding where the dx/dx term comes from. I'm looking dy/dx.

Starting with F(x,y) = 0:

[itex]\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}\frac{dx}{dx} + \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}}\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/itex]

It seems redundant to say dx/dx when it turns out to be one anyway. Why does this step need to be done? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:
I tried deriving this one on my own and I'm just not understanding where the dx/dx term comes from. I'm looking dy/dx.

Starting with F(x,y) = 0:

[itex]\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}\frac{dx}{dx} + \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{y}}\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/itex]

It seems redundant to say dx/dx when it turns out to be one anyway. Why does this step need to be done? Thanks
It doesn't need to be done. What text did you see that in?

HallsofIvy said:
It doesn't need to be done. What text did you see that in?

Briggs Calculus. It just seemed kinda strange to say that x is a function of x so we need to take the derivative of it.

HallsofIvy said:
It doesn't need to be done.

i do it! o:)

1. Why is there a dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule?

The dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule represents the derivative of the independent variable with respect to itself. In other words, it is the rate of change of the variable with itself, which is always equal to 1. This is a fundamental property of derivatives and is necessary for the Implicit Differentiation rule to work correctly.

2. Can the dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule be simplified or canceled out?

No, the dx/dx cannot be simplified or canceled out in the Implicit Differentiation rule. As mentioned before, it is a fundamental part of the rule and cannot be removed without altering the equation and its solution.

3. Does the dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule have any physical meaning?

The dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule does not have a physical meaning in itself. However, it is a crucial part of the mathematical process of finding the derivative of an implicit function and is essential in solving many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Why is the dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule sometimes written as d/dx?

The notation used for derivatives can vary, and both dx/dx and d/dx are commonly used to represent the derivative of a function with respect to the independent variable. However, the dx/dx notation is more commonly used in the Implicit Differentiation rule to emphasize the fact that it is a derivative of the variable with itself.

5. Is the dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule always equal to 1?

Yes, the dx/dx in the Implicit Differentiation rule is always equal to 1. This is because it represents the derivative of the independent variable with respect to itself, and the rate of change of a variable with itself is always 1. This is a fundamental rule of calculus and applies to all cases where the derivative is taken with respect to the same variable.