Why is there no Hubble-like telescope on the International Space Station?

In summary, the main reason why there is no telescope like Hubble on the International Space Station is due to a lack of stability. The ISS is much larger than Hubble and having humans on board would cause constant vibrations that would greatly affect the telescope's function. Other factors such as the ISS's altitude and inclination, as well as potential interference from jettisoned objects and atmospheric conditions, also contribute to the impracticality of docking a telescope to the ISS. Furthermore, the cost reduction and other potential advantages are not significant enough to justify the difficulties and constraints that come with this option.
Bob__
why is there no telescope like Hubble on the international space station/?
as i know, the iss is only 150 km lower in orbit than the Hubble space telescope, and is at different inclination.
Having people around is pretty convenient i think, so replacing parts and doing regular maintenance would be easy, and cheaper as a main reason

My question is what is the reason for not being so?

Is there a financial problem?
or there are scientific reasons beyond my understanding connected with those 150 km of height,
or simply no one wants to have anything to do with the manned space program?
i think it would be a good thing, at least in the eye of the public , -the crew would have one more reason to be up there...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Bob

a good question, and altho I don't know a specific answer, I would suggest the biggest reason would be
a major lack of stability. The ISS is huge compared to Hubble and even if it was unmanned it would be a nightmare to stabilise
with humans bouncing around inside it all the time, the whole structure would be vibrating even more soDave

Likes CalcNerd, Patzee and Bob__
davenn said:
Hi Bob

a good question, and altho I don't know a specific answer, I would suggest the biggest reason would be
a major lack of stability. The ISS is huge compared to Hubble and even if it was unmanned it would be a nightmare to stabilise
with humans bouncing around inside it all the time, the whole structure would be vibrating even more soDave
yes, never thought of that... although i think that's not unsolvable , given the cost reduction
perhaps it could be placed 10-100 m apart, close enough
thank you

You still have to make that other Hubble and ship it to space - so the question is, once you do that, is there an advantage to docking it to the ISS instead of flying it standalone as other space telescopes (there's a whole menagerie of these : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_telescopes) ? You point to ease of maintenance by the crew (for operation, i don t think humans on board are a big advantage, even Earth based telescopes are largely operated remotely) which is one, and to the publicity aspect for the ISS, but is it enough to justify other constraints this must imply ?

It would be interesting to find a mission where the advantages (e.g. flexibility to change elements such as upgrading detectors after launch etc.) would make the ISS docking option a clear winner. Hubble was maintained on-site after launch but this must be much cheaper to do using the ISS logistics.

One detail, the ISS must be a somewhat noisy environnement with various sources of vibration, so I wonder if a scope docked there might need extra care to isolate the telescope from that, or maybe just tethering instead of rigid docking - or best just have the scope orbit a short distance from the ISS and walk there when needed.

Last edited:
It seems like to me that the major disadvantage to this would be all the "stuff" that's jettisoned from ISS could interfere with a mounted telescopes operation. The inclination is also a factor, as well the vibrations other people have mentioned. I think you would also have to consider that there is more atmosphere at the ISS altitude, which could affect pointing. It could probably be done, but the ISS set to burn up sometime in 2020 unless it's extended, I don't think you'd see much benefit.

I believe I've read that stability is the overwhelming factor in why this is not a good idea. Minor bumps against any part of the ISS by a crew member cause too much vibration for something that sensitive (it blurs the image) and also there are motors and things in the ISS that cause vibration. When you're looking at something 13+billion light years away (see "Hubble Deep Field") the most trivial change in viewing angle and you're looking at a different galaxy.

Bob__ said:
given the cost reduction

What cost reduction? I don't see why it would be cheaper - or in fact what problem this solves.

What is the purpose of a telescope aboard the ISS?

The telescope aboard the ISS is used for scientific research and observations of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, and galaxies. It allows astronauts to study these objects from a unique vantage point in space, free from the interference of Earth's atmosphere.

What type of telescope is used aboard the ISS?

The telescope aboard the ISS is a reflecting telescope, specifically a Ritchey-Chrétien telescope. This type of telescope uses two mirrors to collect and focus light, resulting in high-quality images with minimal distortion.

How is the telescope aboard the ISS operated?

The telescope aboard the ISS is operated remotely by ground control teams. Astronauts on the ISS can also assist in operating the telescope, but most of the observations are controlled and coordinated by experts on the ground.

What types of objects can be observed with the telescope aboard the ISS?

The telescope aboard the ISS can observe a wide range of celestial objects, including stars, planets, galaxies, and even comets and asteroids. It can also be used to study phenomena such as supernovas, black holes, and other cosmic events.

How does the telescope aboard the ISS differ from telescopes on Earth?

The telescope aboard the ISS is unique in that it is located in space, which allows for clearer and more detailed observations of celestial objects. It is also able to observe objects in both the visible and infrared spectrums, which is not possible with most ground-based telescopes.