Why is U used instead of Q to define temperature?

In summary: TRANSFER of energy, not the rate of transfer. The rate of transfer would be the power. And yes, heat is an integral of the transfer rate of energy with respect to time, as you stated. This is because heat is a form of energy, not a form of power. When energy moves from an object with a high temperature to an object at lower temperature by either radiation, or conduction, or convection, that energy is considered heat.Yes, this is correct. Heat is energy transferred due to a temperature difference.say i have an object that does not interact with gamma rays, ie it doesn't absorb it. Now say that i shine gamma rays through this object of really high intensity say... I=
iScience
in class we learned the definition of temperature to be [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂S}{∂U}[/itex]

i don't understand why it's U as opposed to Q. afterall, Q is the only form of energy that contributes to temperature isn't it? If i take a bathtub of water and i swirl my arm in it, i just gave it some work, and the temperature will have gone up, but that temperature increase is due to the work being converted to Q right? So why is it the entropy per unit U as opposed to the entropy per unit heat (this would be a phonon right?)

Science news on Phys.org
iScience said:
in class we learned the definition of temperature to be [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂S}{∂U}[/itex]

i don't understand why it's U as opposed to Q. afterall, Q is the only form of energy that contributes to temperature isn't it?
No, work also contribute
If i take a bathtub of water and i swirl my arm in it, i just gave it some work, and the temperature will have gone up, but that temperature increase is due to the work being converted to Q right?
No, not right. The work is being converted into internal energy U
So why is it the entropy per unit U as opposed to the entropy per unit heat (this would be a phonon right?)
I don't understand what connection is there with a phonon.

I don't understand what connection is there with a phonon.

well, intermolecular vibrations of say, a solid (i don't know about the other phases, I'm guessing this only applies for solids), are quantized and i was taught therefore that the unit of heat (vibration) could be said to be quantized as phonons.

iScience said:

i don't understand why it's U as opposed to Q. afterall, Q is the only form of energy that contributes to temperature isn't it? If i take a bathtub of water and i swirl my arm in it, i just gave it some work, and the temperature will have gone up, but that temperature increase is due to the work being converted to Q right? So why is it the entropy per unit U as opposed to the entropy per unit heat (this would be a phonon right?)

I think this is in the wrong location. This question is classical physics, not quantum physics.

But [itex]T[/itex] is not a function of [itex]Q[/itex] alone. When you compress a gas, it gets hotter, but not because you've transmitted any heat to it.

iScience said:
well, intermolecular vibrations of say, a solid (i don't know about the other phases, I'm guessing this only applies for solids), are quantized and i was taught therefore that the unit of heat (vibration) could be said to be quantized as phonons.

You're confusing heat Q with internal energy U. The vibration of molecules (whether quantized or classical) is part of the internal energy U which is a function of state. The heat Q is not a function of state and has nothing to do with internal vibrations. Heat Q is energy transferred between two objects (systems) due to their difference in temperature. When energy moves from an object with a high temperature to an object at lower temperature by either radiation, or conduction, or convection, that energy is considered heat. The energy inside of an object related to its thermal state is called internal energy and is represented by the letter U.

I think this is in the wrong location. This question is classical physics, not quantum physics.

:O sorry! i thought i clicked classical not quantum.. no wonder i couldn't find it there.. could a moderator reading this perhaps move this thread to the classical section?

You're confusing heat Q with internal energy U. The vibration of molecules (whether quantized or classical) is part of the internal energy U which is a function of state. The heat Q is not a function of state and has nothing to do with internal vibrations. Heat Q is energy transferred between two objects (systems) due to their difference in temperature. When energy moves from an object with a high temperature to an object at lower temperature by either radiation, or conduction, or convection, that energy is considered heat. The energy inside of an object related to its thermal state is called internal energy and is represented by the letter U.

So then.. heat is defined as the TRANSFER of energy? i don't understand, if heat is inherently defined as the 'transfer' of something, well.. all transfers (as far as i know) have a rate associated with them, so why isn't it d(something)/dt?

it would make sense that the 'somethig' is energy, such that it's an energy transfer rate;
but i know this is incorrect because Q has units of energy and not power.

So then, is Q inherently an integral of the transfer rate of energy w/ respect to dt? ie..

Q=[itex]\int[/itex]Pdt

the units do match up...

When energy moves from an object with a high temperature to an object at lower temperature by either radiation, or conduction, or convection, that energy is considered heat.

say i have an object that does not interact with gamma rays, ie it doesn't absorb it. Now say that i shine gamma rays through this object of really high intensity say... I=10,00000GW/m2. if you consider an imaginary box around this object, would it then be appropriate to say that this object has a lot of heat? this just seems counter intuitive to me; again, if heat is the 'transfer' of energy, and radiation counts as "heat", then this object should then have a high internal energy even though it may be sitting at.. 4kelvin, right?

iScience said:
:O sorry! i thought i clicked classical not quantum.. no wonder i couldn't find it there.. could a moderator reading this perhaps move this thread to the classical section?

So then.. heat is defined as the TRANSFER of energy? i don't understand, if heat is inherently defined as the 'transfer' of something, well.. all transfers (as far as i know) have a rate associated with them, so why isn't it d(something)/dt?

it would make sense that the 'somethig' is energy, such that it's an energy transfer rate;
but i know this is incorrect because Q has units of energy and not power.

So then, is Q inherently an integral of the transfer rate of energy w/ respect to dt? ie..

Q=[itex]\int[/itex]Pdt

the units do match up...
Correct. Heat is the energy transferred over a period of time, not the transfer rate which would indeed have units of power.
say i have an object that does not interact with gamma rays, ie it doesn't absorb it. Now say that i shine gamma rays through this object of really high intensity say... I=10,00000GW/m2. if you consider an imaginary box around this object, would it then be appropriate to say that this object has a lot of heat? this just seems counter intuitive to me; again, if heat is the 'transfer' of energy, and radiation counts as "heat", then this object should then have a high internal energy even though it may be sitting at.. 4kelvin, right?

If the object doesn't absorb the radiation than no energy is being transferred.The radiation goes right through the object. There is no heat. Right now as we speak (so to speak) there are billions of neutrinos coming from the sun's core and passing right through your body (and mine). These neutrinos are not absorbed and do not heat your body.

Correct. Heat is the energy transferred over a period of time, not the transfer rate which would indeed have units of power.

If the object doesn't absorb the radiation than no energy is being transferred.The radiation goes right through the object. There is no heat. Right now as we speak (so to speak) there are billions of neutrinos coming from the sun's core and passing right through your body (and mine). These neutrinos are not absorbed and do not heat your body.

i got it now! thank you so much!

Related to Why is U used instead of Q to define temperature?

1. What is the definition of temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is a physical quantity that determines the direction of heat flow and is commonly measured in degrees Fahrenheit (°F) or degrees Celsius (°C).

2. How is temperature different from heat?

Temperature and heat are related but different concepts. While temperature measures the average energy of particles, heat refers to the total energy of a substance. Temperature is a scalar quantity, while heat is a form of energy and is measured in joules (J).

3. What is absolute temperature?

Absolute temperature, also known as thermodynamic temperature, is a theoretical temperature scale where zero is the absolute absence of heat. The most commonly used unit for absolute temperature is the Kelvin (K), where 0 K is absolute zero.

4. How is temperature measured?

Temperature can be measured using a thermometer, which typically uses the expansion and contraction of a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, to indicate the temperature. Other methods include using thermocouples, pyrometers, and infrared thermometers.

5. What factors affect temperature?

The temperature of a substance can be affected by various factors, such as the amount of energy absorbed or released, the type of material, and the environment it is in. Changes in pressure, volume, and chemical reactions can also influence temperature.