Why is work done by the system a negative quantity?

In summary, there are two different sign conventions for work in thermodynamics, with chemists typically using the convention that work done by the system is negative and physicists using the opposite convention. However, this difference does not affect the predictions of the theory as long as the same convention is consistently used. This difference in convention can be traced back to the development of classical thermodynamics and the practical problem of analyzing steam engines. It is important to pay attention to the convention being used when using different sources.
swell9
Hello,

I'm reading a book about a gas volume inside a system. It says that when the volume expands due to the heated gas, the system is doing work. I understand that part. But it says that the value for work is negative because the system is doing work.

From all the physics I have been studying over the years, work is positive when the system does work and negative when the surroundings do work on the system. Isn't this right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a sign convention and does not have any consequences to the predictions of the theory, as long as you consistently use the same convention.

As far as I know, chemists tend to use the convention that the work done by a system is negative, while physicists use the opposite convention.

hilbert2 said:
It's just a sign convention and does not have any consequences to the predictions of the theory, as long as you consistently use the same convention.

As far as I know, chemists tend to use the convention that the work done by a system is negative, while physicists use the opposite convention.

Oh I think it is pretty irritating and kind of pointless to have two sign conventions. Thanks for help. Can anyone confirm this?

yeah, I remember the physicists and chemists use different sign convention for this. I never remember which way round though.

swell9 said:
I'm reading a book about a gas volume inside a system. It says that when the volume expands due to the heated gas, the system is doing work. I understand that part. But it says that the value for work is negative because the system is doing work.

From all the physics I have been studying over the years, work is positive when the system does work and negative when the surroundings do work on the system. Isn't this right?
Yes, if the gas expands then it is doing positive work on its surroundings. The sign convention comes in when expressing the first law of thermodynamics. If you choose a convention where by work you mean work done by the system, then you'll need a minus sign to reflect the change in energy of the system. (If the work done by the system is positive, then the work done on the system is negative.)

When classical thermodynamics as we know it was being developed, a major practical problem in thermodynamics (probably the most important one!) was analyzing the operation of steam engines with the aim of improving them. It seems to me that it would have been natural to consider the heat into the system (the engine's "input") and the work done by the system (the engine's "output") to be both positive numbers. This leads to writing the First Law in the form ΔU = Q - W. I think engineers still tend to use this convention.

Physicists came to prefer to think of energy flow into the system as always being positive (because it increases the internal energy), which leads to the convention that work done on the system is a positive number, and ΔU = Q + W.

Some books, web sites, etc. do it one way, some do it the other way. You have to take note of which convention is being used, and "translate" from one to the other if necessary when you're using different sources.

1. Why is work done by the system a negative quantity?

Work done by a system is considered negative because it represents the energy transferred from the system to its surroundings. This means that the system is losing energy, resulting in a decrease in its internal energy.

2. Can work done by the system ever be positive?

Yes, in certain cases, work done by the system can be positive. This happens when the system gains energy from its surroundings, resulting in an increase in its internal energy. For example, when a gas expands and does work on its surroundings, the work done by the system is positive.

3. How is work related to the change in the system's internal energy?

Work is a form of energy, and it can be converted into or from other forms of energy. When work is done by the system, it decreases its internal energy, and when work is done on the system, it increases its internal energy. This relationship is described by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

4. Why is work done by the system often referred to as "negative work"?

Work done by the system is often referred to as "negative work" because it represents a decrease in the system's energy. This is a convention used in thermodynamics to indicate the direction of energy transfer. Negative work indicates an outward flow of energy from the system, while positive work indicates an inward flow of energy into the system.

5. Is the sign of work done always determined by the system?

No, the sign of work done can also be determined by the frame of reference. For example, if the system is a gas expanding against a piston, from the perspective of the gas, the work done is positive because it is doing work on the surroundings. However, from the perspective of the piston, the work done is negative because it is being pushed by the gas. In this case, it is important to specify the frame of reference when discussing the sign of work done.