Why singularities and not exclusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of black hole singularities and the role of general relativity and quantum mechanics in understanding them. Some suggest that the singularity is not real and can be explained through a quantized version of GR, while others argue that gravity will always defeat other forces in creating a black hole. The exclusion principle is also mentioned as a factor in the equation of state and the concept of degeneracy pressure is brought up as a way to understand compact objects. Overall, the conversation highlights the ongoing debate and search for a quantum explanation of black holes.
Gonzolo
Hi, everybody always talks about black holes being singularities, but why does everyone always take GR's side and neglect Pauli's exclusion principle? Why do people assume gravity is stronger?

Suppose I decide that gravity can't make mass infinitely dense because particles can't have the same state. What's wrong with that?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The singularity inside a black hole is a result of using only general relativity. When quantum theory is taken into account, there is no known sensible solution. In other words nobody really knows what happens inside a black hole.

I know no one knows, but people still always talk about singularities. Those are the answers that are seen everywhere, and I understand that, but for the time being, I choose that singularities, and wormholes etc. are completely absurd, non-satisfactory, old news, and that there has to be a quantum explanation. What I do not see is what exactly happens when we take into account QM inside a black hole, how does QM fail? What are the non-sensible solutions?

Gonzolo said:
I know no one knows, but people still always talk about singularities. Those are the answers that are seen everywhere, and I understand that, but for the time being, I choose that singularities, and wormholes etc. are completely absurd, non-satisfactory, old news, and that there has to be a quantum explanation. What I do not see is what exactly happens when we take into account QM inside a black hole, how does QM fail? What are the non-sensible solutions?

this year Leonardo Modesto, a student of Rovelli at Univ. Marseille, applied QM to black holes and saw that the singularity goes away.
it is not real.
in a quantized version of GR it does not exist.
Modesto paper is online at arxiv, just search by name Modesto

http://arxiv.org/

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+modesto/0/1/0/all/0/1

Last edited:
okay...here's a clue.

Look for the jets :confused: :smile:

marcus said:
this year Leonardo Modesto, a student of Rovelli at Univ. Marseille, applied QM to black holes and saw that the singularity goes away.
it is not real.
in a quantized version of GR it does not exist.
Modesto paper is online at arxiv, just search by name Modesto

http://arxiv.org/

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+modesto/0/1/0/all/0/1

Good! I hope Modesto is right! I'm rooting for QM! Woohoo!

Gonzolo said:
Hi, everybody always talks about black holes being singularities, but why does everyone always take GR's side and neglect Pauli's exclusion principle? Why do people assume gravity is stronger?

Suppose I decide that gravity can't make mass infinitely dense because particles can't have the same state. What's wrong with that?

The exclusion principle is not neglected, it is taken into account in the equation of state, leading to degeneracy pressure. This has been understood since the work of Chandrasekar in th 1930's and is central to the calculation of the properties of compact objects such as white dwarves or neutron stars. However, given a sufficiently massive object gravity will always win out in the end, leading to a black hole.

Thank you very much, Chronon. I will have to review this degeneracy pressure. It does ring a bell.

Permit me to add that the term singularity is used to describe where the mathematical model breaks down. Physical reality does not always respect our version of the laws of mathematics.

1. Why do singularities occur in certain systems and not others?

Singularities occur in systems that exhibit extreme conditions, such as high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or high energy densities. These conditions cause the equations that govern the behavior of the system to break down, leading to a singularity.

2. What causes the exclusion of certain particles or states in a singularity?

The exclusion of certain particles or states in a singularity is caused by the extreme conditions that occur. These conditions can prevent particles from occupying the same space or energy state, leading to the exclusion of certain particles or states.

3. Can singularities be avoided or prevented?

It is not currently known how to avoid or prevent singularities in physical systems. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that singularities may not actually exist and that they are simply a limitation of our current understanding of physics.

4. How do singularities impact our understanding of the universe?

Singularities play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in the study of black holes. They also raise important questions about the fundamental nature of space, time, and matter.

5. Are singularities dangerous or harmful?

Singularities are not inherently dangerous or harmful. However, the extreme conditions that occur in a singularity, such as those found in a black hole, can have significant effects on their surroundings. For example, the immense gravitational pull of a black hole can distort spacetime and potentially disrupt nearby objects or systems.