Why is my CPU usage so high when opening multiple web pages on Microsoft Edge?

In summary: CPU utilization. It could be due to a lot of factors, like the site being heavily loaded with graphics and ads, or there being a lot of tabs open in the browser.
kiki_danc
I opened about 30 Microsoft Edge web pages.. the CPU usage can reach 75%. Why is there so much CPU usage for opened web pages? My processor is Intel Corei5 3.2 Ghz and 16 Gigs of DDR3 RAM.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The graphics on each page, the graphical layout. These take some cpu processing work.

If you think about it each page takes 2.5% of cpu usage which is pretty small in general so it would make sense that 30 pages opened simultaneously.

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
The graphics on each page, the graphical layout. These take some cpu processing work.

If you think about it each page takes 2.5% of cpu usage which is pretty small in general so it would make sense that 30 pages opened simultaneously.
To put a bit of a finer point on it, it depends on the website. Some websites present static images and involve no background processing (PF, for example, unless something is embedded in a post). Others have active graphics and even continuous or periodic downloading of new information.

I currently have 10 pages open (in Chrome) and watched my CPU usage for about 10 seconds. It maxed out at 0.8% and as often as not didn't register anything. It's just the nature of what I have open. So @kiki_danc I suspect you have some bad/intensive pages open. What you report seems like a lot.

...just for fun, I opened another window, for CNN. It now reports 1.3-2.1%. Then I turned off my ad-blocker and re-loaded: 3.4-4.6%. So 30 pages with active graphics/ads is enough to get to 75% processor usage. I'm on an i7.

Likes FactChecker
russ_watters said:
Then I turned off my ad-blocker and re-loaded: 3.4-4.6%.
The ads were my first thought. They will be running on most internet pages and 30 pages would have a lot of ads with videos.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
The adds were my first thought. They will be running on most internet pages and 30 pages would have a lot of adds with videos.
There would also probably be a lot of ads. :smile:

Likes FactChecker
phinds said:
There would also probably be a lot of ads. :smile:
Dang spelling Nazis! ;>)

FactChecker said:
Dang spelling Nazis! ;>)
grammar-police-badge.png

Attachments

• grammar-police-badge.png
    grammar-police-badge.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 683
Likes Imager, davenn, FactChecker and 1 other person
As far as I know, Firefox does not load all opened tabs when one starts the browser. It only loads the tabs that were explicitly clicked on, in this very session. So, 30 or 100 tabs shouldn't make much of a difference, I'd guess. Are you sure Microsoft Edge loads the 30 pages even though you do not click on the corresponding tabs?

I have a program that starts multiple tabs in my default, Chrome. I ran it with 30 tabs and it hit 100% CPU usage initially. As the tabs loaded, it slowly went down to low numbers after several minutes (under 5%) with periodic spikes every 10-15 seconds up to about 30%.

I tried only one web page. Why does Task Manager reports (8)? what does 8 mean? The web page seems to hang.. and heavy usage seems to occur when it hangs..

LNyGZw.jpg

Attachments

• LNyGZw.jpg
    LNyGZw.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 939
kiki_danc said:
I tried only one web page. Why does Task Manager reports (8)? what does 8 mean? The web page seems to hang.. and heavy usage seems to occur when it hangs..

View attachment 230576

I tried a second computer.. same result... one page alone can use 60 to 70% of the CPU. You can duplicate it too. go to
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com navigate around the site.. click some links and go back to main page, etc.
Use Microsoft Edge browser that is the default browser in Windows 10.

You can expand the display of child processes which Edge has forked off by clicking on the '>' to the left of the entry in the Task Manager. It gives some names that might tell you what their purpose is.

Likes Imager
after avoiding the site or opening it in plain internet explorer (which doesn't have high CPU usage).. no more problems even loading more than 50 pages in Microsoft Edge... in case not many are familiar with Edge.. check this out... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

Most of you don't even run Windows 10 but maybe Windows 8 or earlier versions?

about the heavy CPU usage of that particular website with Edge.. any theory why?

kiki_danc said:
about the heavy CPU usage of that particular website with Edge.. any theory why?
Site devs usually builds a site to support a few version of some few common browser (with the most common addons and environment). It is actually not too hard to occassionally met some inconveniences. Especially when you push it (30 pages opened in one go feels a bit excessive for me).

Likes FactChecker
Rive said:
Site devs usually builds a site to support a few version of some few common browser (with the most common addons and environment). It is actually not too hard to occassionally met some inconveniences. Especially when you push it (30 pages opened in one go feels a bit excessive for me).
I agree. You should expect a heavy CPU usage from 30 pages (at least for several minutes while they load). I tested a couple of browsers and saw similar behavior on all of them. @russ_watters comment about using ad-blockers is a good suggestion if you want better performance. (although I haven't tested it to see if it helped much)

PS. Actually, in the test I ran, Edge and Explorer did significantly better than Chrome and Firefox.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
using ad-blockers is a good suggestion if you want better performance.
Depends on many things. Some AD-blocker/browser combinations tends to cause heavy CPU loads on some websites, especially if too many filters are active.
Also, some AD-blockers/filter lists are 'supported' by specific websites.
Needs testing.
I mean, if it worth testing...

Likes russ_watters and FactChecker
AVG reported I have tracking malware (maybe one reason for the slowdown even if only one web page opened.. maybe someone's using my CPU power for processing their task...)... What is the best antivirus or antimalware have you guys encounter (preferably free) that can remove all tracking malware (that can track everything I do in the computer and send the information elsewhere)?

kiki_danc said:
AVG reported I have tracking malware (maybe one reason for the slowdown even if only one web page opened.. maybe someone's using my CPU power for processing their task...)... What is the best antivirus or antimalware have you guys encounter (preferably free) that can remove all tracking malware (that can track everything I do in the computer and send the information elsewhere)?
If AVG identified the malware, did it remove it? You should repeat the scan and see if AVG thinks your computer is now clean. (I use Norton. I like it but it is certainly not free.)

It depends totally on the website in question.

Some websites can hog 1.4 gigs of memory and near 100% processor with a single page depending on scripting and other stupid stuff.

Some websites use your processor cycles to mine bitcoins or other distributed computing much like the old SETI program.

Some websites have scripts designed to drag down even the strongest processor in an effort to influence someone to upgrade to newer software. It detects older browsers and bogs them down. Result...you upgrade or avoid the site.

1. Why does opening multiple Microsoft Edge web pages require so much CPU power?

Opening multiple web pages in any browser can require a significant amount of CPU power because each page requires resources to load and run. This includes processing HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and other elements such as images and videos. Opening 30 pages at once can quickly overwhelm the CPU and cause it to work harder to keep up with the demands.

2. Is there a limit to the number of web pages that can be opened in Microsoft Edge without causing high CPU usage?

There is no specific limit to the number of web pages that can be opened in Microsoft Edge without causing high CPU usage. However, the more pages that are open, the more resources will be needed to run them, and this can lead to high CPU usage. It is important to note that the CPU usage will also depend on the complexity of the web pages being opened.

3. How can I reduce the CPU usage when opening multiple web pages in Microsoft Edge?

There are a few things that can be done to reduce CPU usage when opening multiple web pages in Microsoft Edge. One option is to limit the number of pages that are open at once. Another option is to use the "Sleep" feature in Microsoft Edge, which pauses any inactive tabs and frees up resources. Additionally, clearing the cache and cookies can also help reduce CPU usage.

4. Does the CPU usage depend on the type of web pages being opened in Microsoft Edge?

Yes, the CPU usage can vary depending on the type of web pages being opened in Microsoft Edge. Pages with a lot of multimedia content, such as videos and animations, will require more CPU power to run. Similarly, pages with heavy JavaScript or complex layouts can also contribute to higher CPU usage.

5. Can upgrading my computer's hardware help reduce CPU usage when opening multiple web pages in Microsoft Edge?

Upgrading your computer's hardware, such as the CPU and RAM, can potentially help reduce CPU usage when opening multiple web pages in Microsoft Edge. A faster and more powerful CPU can handle more demanding tasks, while additional RAM can help with multitasking. However, it is important to note that the efficiency of the browser itself also plays a significant role in CPU usage.