Why Tapping With a Stick Won't Beat the Speed of Light

The speed of sound is always less than the speed of light.In summary, using a long stick to tap Morse code on a distant observer's forehead in an attempt to send messages faster than the speed of light will fail. This is because no matter how dense or stiff the stick may be, the speed of sound is always less than the speed of light. As for the second conversation, event1 (the birth of the observer) and event2 (the death of the observer) have a time-like interval between them, as they only depend on time and not on space. This means that they cannot be seen to occur simultaneously in any reference frame. While the concept may be difficult to grasp, it is important to understand that nothing can
forty
(1) A very long stick is used in an attempt to send messages faster than the speed of light by tapping Morse code on a distant observers forehead. Why will this attempt fail to send messages faster than the speed of light?

(2) An observer is born (event1), sits in the same place for 100 years, then dies (event2). Determine the interval between events 1 and 2. Is this a time-like, space-like or light-like interval? Can the two events be seen to be simultaneous in a different reference frame? Explain.

As for (1) I know that it can't but for the exact reasoning I don't really have a clue besides that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

For (2) I have no Idea. (However I don't think they can be seen to occur simultaneously as they occur in the same position.)

I'm sorry for being so vague and unclear but I have read through multiple texts and just can't seem to grasp this. Numerical questions I can handle but explaining the concepts does my head in. So any help or explanations would be VERY much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. lol is funny, i suggest that when the morse code is tapped, the sound is much much slower then light, so light would be faster, compared to the how fast you hear the tapping... I am not sure, just an idea.

2. the events are timelike, since they only depend on time, and i don't think they can be simultaneous

for (1) if the stick is infinitely dense shouldn't the tap at one end be transmitted instantaneously to the other?

forty said:
for (1) if the stick is infinitely dense shouldn't the tap at one end be transmitted instantaneously to the other?

No. A shock wave travels at less that the speed of light even if density (or "stiffness") approaches arbitrarily large values in the limit.

Related to Why Tapping With a Stick Won't Beat the Speed of Light

1. Why is the speed of light considered to be the fastest possible speed?

The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered to be the fastest possible speed because it is a fundamental constant of the universe. It is a fundamental limit of nature that cannot be overcome or surpassed by any known means.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, no object with mass can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate beyond this speed.

3. Why is tapping with a stick not capable of beating the speed of light?

Tapping with a stick, or any other physical action, is limited by the laws of physics and cannot surpass the speed of light. Even if we could tap with a stick at the speed of light, the stick itself would not be able to travel faster than the speed of light due to its mass and the laws of physics.

4. Are there any theories that suggest the speed of light may not be the fastest possible speed?

Some theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, propose that there may be a maximum speed that is even faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still being studied and have not been proven to be true.

5. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental constant that is used in many equations and theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. It also helps us understand the vast distances between objects in space and the limitations of space travel.