1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the electric field around a positive charge is always directed away from it?

1. Aug 3, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone!
    My question is: why the electric field around a positive charge is always directed away from it? and why not towards?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2
    Gauss Law says the electric field is directed away from a positive charge. ##\nabla E=\rho##
    The sign is convention. Gauss Law could have been, ##\nabla E=-\rho##, and with changes of sign made to ##\rho## and ##J## in the rest of Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz equation of electromagnetic force, it would be just as useful.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Aug 3, 2015 #3
    Because it is repulsion.

The gravitational field is measured by keeping a unit positive charge in the field. The positive-positive repulsion makes the force away from it.

5. Aug 3, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A repulsive gravitational field could be very useful :-)

6. Aug 3, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That's not correct. The direction of the field is completely arbitrary. We denote it as being directed away from positive charges simply because of convention.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
    Yes, because of convention. I mentioned that in this statement

Maybe I should have added that the measurement is done in the direction the unit positive charge (point charge in fact) moves. I meant by "Measurement done"=how we measure it (conventionally)

8. Aug 5, 2015 #7
    Convention . You could consider - we draw electric field lines moving away from +ve charges , and moving towards -ve charges - as given by Faraday .

This is simply convention .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook