Why Didn't the Ship Sink When a 15kg Bird Landed on It?

• Thread starter sbsbhilai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, a bird falls on a ship, but it does not sink. The answer is that the ship was loaded in a way that it would not sink, and after traveling some distance at sea, the load on the ship was used up.
sbsbhilai
Why the ship does not sinks?
A ship is loaded in such a way that even if a single coin is loaded on it more, the ship will sink. However, after it travels some distance in sea, a bird weighing 15 kg dies and falls on the ship but the ship does not sinks. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

no my kid asked me

It's a riddle.

I would assume that if the boat was that packed then rocking on waves would cause cargo to fall off?

JHamm said:
I would assume that if the boat was that packed then rocking on waves would cause cargo to fall off?

Well, since a single coin would sink the ship, I think we'll have to ignore rocking. But I think you're on the right track. After traveling some distance at sea, I suspect some things on the ship will be used up and make it lighter.

My solution:
It is a diesel ship and, after some distance, more than 15kg of fuel has been used up.

DaveC426913 said:
My solution:
It is a diesel ship and, after some distance, more than 15kg of fuel has been used up.
That, or they used up more than 15 kgs of bullets shooting at the bird.

The ship was loaded in a fresh water river then moved into the open saltwater sea.

It run aground.

Jobrag said:
The ship was loaded in a fresh water river then moved into the open saltwater sea.

Ooh! Good one!

sbsbhilai said:
… a bird weighing 15 kg dies and falls on the ship but the ship does not sinks. Why?

if the bird had been flying around in the hold, it would make no difference :smile:

tiny-tim said:
if the bird had been flying around in the hold, it would make no difference :smile:

Ooh. Another good one.

Ahah. I just figured it out. A clever riddle.

The bird was not flying - which is what we've been assuming. The bird came aboard the ship in a cage.
There is no such thing as a flying 15kg bird.
It was a turkey, and it was killed for Thanksgiving.

The crew all chundered 15kg worth of lunch over the side of the boat at the sight of the dead bird?

oooh good one, dave! :smile:

yes, see http://www.kcc.org.nz/albatross

DaveC426913 said:

How about an Andean Condor?

DaveC426913 said:

Mute swan and some bustards fly at nearly 20 kg.

There was a mute swan found in Poland that weighted 23 kg, although there are no reports about it flying.

sbsbhilai said:
A ship is loaded in such a way that even if a single coin is loaded on it more, the ship will sink.
Perhaps the coin and all of the load was placed on the port side so that the ship was listing severely to port, but the bird fell on the starboard side.

Borek said:

There was a mute swan found in Poland that weighted 23 kg, although there are no reports about it flying.
There's a more obvious suspect for the bird, this being at sea:

Pelicans are large birds with large pouched bills. The smallest is the Brown Pelican (P. occidentalis), small individuals of which can be as little as 2.75 kg (6 lb), 106 cm (42 in) long and can have a wingspan of as little as 1.83 m (6 ft). The largest is believed to be the Dalmatian Pelican (P. crispus), at up to 15 kg (33 lb), 183 cm (72 in) long, with a maximum wingspan of 3 meters (nearly 10 foot). The Australian Pelican has the longest bill of any bird.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican

Was it a legless sea pirate’s parrot falling out of its lookout mast-cage?

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ……………… :smile:

My daughter suggested the boat may be hydroplaning once underway, she's 10.

Borek said:
Swans are migratory and they do fly over seas :smile:
I wasn't saying it couldn't have been a swan, I was saying a more likely suspect is the pelican, due to its mass and its being a sea bird.

DrStupid said:
How about an Andean Condor?

Borek said:

Hrmph. Didn't do my research thoroughly enough. My results for 'largest flying bird' were obviously in error.

Nonetheless, my solution still stands as viable. And I like it because not only does it explain how the ship didn't sink but also why the bird was there, why it died and why it wasn't just any 15kg bird.

DaveC426913 said:
Hrmph. Didn't do my research thoroughly enough. My results for 'largest flying bird' were obviously in error.

Nonetheless, my solution still stands as viable. And I like it because not only does it explain how the ship didn't sink but also why the bird was there, why it died and why it wasn't just any 15kg bird.
It's a good solution except possibly for the mention of thanksgiving. The OP's name suggests the riddle might well have been generated outside the US.

1. Why do ships float?

Ships float because of a principle called buoyancy, which states that any object in a fluid (such as water) will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Since ships are designed to displace a large amount of water, the upward force of the water is greater than the weight of the ship, allowing it to float.

2. How do ships stay afloat if they are made of heavy materials like steel?

While it may seem counterintuitive, the weight of the ship does not determine whether it will float or sink. Instead, it is the shape and design of the ship that allows it to stay afloat. By displacing a large amount of water and having a lower density than the water it is floating in, the ship can stay afloat even if it is made of heavy materials like steel.

3. Can a ship sink in rough seas?

Yes, a ship can sink in rough seas if it is not designed to withstand the forces of the waves. However, most ships are built with safety features such as watertight compartments and ballast tanks that can help keep the ship stable and prevent it from sinking even in rough seas.

4. What causes a ship to sink?

There are several factors that can cause a ship to sink, including structural damage, overloading, and uncontrolled flooding. Structural damage can occur from collisions, grounding, or extreme weather conditions. Overloading the ship with too much cargo or passengers can also cause it to sink. Uncontrolled flooding can happen if there is a breach in the hull or if the ship's pumps fail.

5. How can a ship float if it is carrying heavy cargo?

Even though a ship may be carrying a heavy load of cargo, it is still designed to displace a large amount of water, which allows it to stay afloat. The weight of the cargo is distributed over a larger area, reducing the overall density of the ship and allowing it to maintain its buoyancy. Additionally, the ship's ballast tanks can be adjusted to counterbalance the weight of the cargo and keep the ship stable.