Why there is dc component in square signal

In summary, the conversation discusses the detection of a DC signal when sending a square wave to a digital oscilloscope. The speaker wonders if this is due to the internal resistance of the coaxial cable being used. They mention that the signal from the generator has a small error and suggest using a capacitor or selecting "AC input" to remove the DC component. They also consider the impact of the rise time and input/output resistance on the signal. The speaker mentions that they have already removed the DC component using an offset and expresses gratitude for the advice given.
giulioo
hi!
when I send a square wave to a digital oscilloscope it detects the signal + dc signal. I wanted to know why. I was thinking about internal resistance of coaxial cable i was using.

signal got out of an oscilloscope/wave generator and in channel A of the same oscilloscope/wg. It was +-1 V, while dc component was something like 17 mV.

Engineering news on Phys.org
or probably it is due to internal impedance of the oscilloscope?

giulioo said:
hi!
when I send a square wave to a digital oscilloscope it detects the signal + dc signal. I wanted to know why. I was thinking about internal resistance of coaxial cable i was using.

signal got out of an oscilloscope/wave generator and in channel A of the same oscilloscope/wg. It was +-1 V, while dc component was something like 17 mV.
This sounds like a small error in the generator. You can remove all DC component by placing a large capacitor in series with the oscilloscope, or selecting "AC input". It is possible that the square wave is not exactly "50/50".

well the wave is for sure not exactly 50/50 because of rise time. I haven't thought about it anyway. I will meditate upon it, i mean, rise time could add a dc component.
Do you think input and output resistance could not affect signal in such way too?
I already removed the dc component using an offset.
thank you for your advice!

giulioo said:
It was +-1 V, while dc component was something like 17 mV.
17mV DC error in a signal of ±1V - that is an error of ≈ 1%. I would not be able to see that on an oscilloscope. And, as you said, the signal generator might easily give an error of that size.

1. What is a square signal?

A square signal is a type of periodic waveform that alternates between two distinct levels, typically representing "on" and "off" states. It is characterized by its sharp, square edges and equal durations of high and low states.

2. Why is there a DC component in a square signal?

A DC (direct current) component in a square signal refers to a constant voltage level that is present in addition to the alternating high and low states. This component is caused by a shift in the signal's average value, which can occur due to various factors such as imperfect circuitry or noise interference.

3. How does the DC component affect a square signal?

The presence of a DC component in a square signal can cause distortion or clipping, which can lead to inaccuracies in the signal's intended representation. It can also affect the signal's frequency and amplitude, potentially altering its overall shape.

4. Can the DC component be eliminated from a square signal?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely eliminate the DC component from a square signal. However, it can be reduced through various techniques such as filtering or using precision circuitry to minimize noise and interference.

5. Are there any advantages to having a DC component in a square signal?

In some cases, a small DC component in a square signal can be beneficial for certain applications. For example, it can help stabilize a signal's average value and improve its accuracy. Additionally, it can be used for biasing or offsetting signals in certain electronic circuits.