Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why there is dc component in square signal

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    hi!
    when I send a square wave to a digital oscilloscope it detects the signal + dc signal. I wanted to know why. I was thinking about internal resistance of coaxial cable i was using.

signal got out of an oscilloscope/wave generator and in channel A of the same oscilloscope/wg. It was +-1 V, while dc component was something like 17 mV.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    or probably it is due to internal impedance of the oscilloscope?

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

tech99

Gold Member

This sounds like a small error in the generator. You can remove all DC component by placing a large capacitor in series with the oscilloscope, or selecting "AC input". It is possible that the square wave is not exactly "50/50".

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    well the wave is for sure not exactly 50/50 because of rise time. I haven't thought about it anyway. I will meditate upon it, i mean, rise time could add a dc component.
    Do you think input and output resistance could not affect signal in such way too?
    I already removed the dc component using an offset.
    thank you for your advice!

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

17mV DC error in a signal of ±1V - that is an error of ≈ 1%. I would not be able to see that on an oscilloscope. And, as you said, the signal generator might easily give an error of that size.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook