Why wouldn't the temperatures be different in this scenario

• Thread starter PaperProphet
  • Start date
In summary: I'm just trying to understand why the molecules wouldn't create a difference in temperature. I realize it's not an easy question and I appreciate the effort put into trying to help me, but I'm just not sure where to go from here.I suspect because the total energy of the molecules is constant, the molecules will not spontaneously create a difference in temperature between the top and the bottom of the tube.
PeterDonis said:
Almost? Or exactly?

In the tube? Of course.
In the atmosphere? Of course not.

What's your point?

Science news on Phys.org
It's amazing that nobody actually answered the question yet. The short answer is that the pressure gradient cancels out the gravity resulting in no average acceleration of a parcel of gas.

The OP is thinking that gravity is accelerating particles downward so the kinetic energy of particles should be larger at the bottom than the top. This would be true for non-interacting particles, but for a gas with pressure, the pressure gradient is accelerating particles upward exactly canceling the downward acceleration by gravity.

Temperature and pressure only exist as average statistical quantities, but if you prefer to zoom in and look at the molecules, you will see that there are more molecules hitting your molecule from below than from above, so the molecules aren't (on average) accelerating downward under gravity. And spoiler alert: the density and pressure decrease exponentially as you go up,
##P = P_0 e^{-mgh/kT}##
as given by Boltzmann distribution or by Bernoulli's equation.

Khashishi said:
The OP is thinking that gravity is accelerating particles downward so the kinetic energy of particles should be larger at the bottom than the top. This would be true for non-interacting particles, but for a gas with pressure, the pressure gradient is accelerating particles upward exactly canceling the downward acceleration by gravity.

I kind of agree, but the same laws of thermodynamics should apply to gas of interacting particles and gas of non-interacting particles.

Dense gas:
There are random temperature fluctuations in the gas, and warm parcels of gas tend to float upwards while cool parcels of gas tend to sink downwards. This effect cancels the effect of randomly moving parcels of gas heating up when moving downwards and cooling down when moving upwards. And there's an uniform temperature in the tube.

Non-dense gas, just a few molecules in a tube:
A molecule that happens to lose most of its speed when colliding with the upper part of the tube starts to move downwards because of gravity, while a particle that loses most of its speed when colliding with the bottom part of the tube stays near the bottom. This effect cancels the effect of randomly moving molecule speeding up when moving downwards and slowing down when moving upwards. And there's an uniform temperature in the tube.Ignore the following part, if you think gravitational redshift is off topics.

Photon gas:
Any photon moving distance d down experiences a x percent energy increase. Nothing at all cancels this effect, so the temperature in the photon gas tube is almost uniform but not exactly uniform.

As the laws of thermodynamics should be same for dense gas, non-dense gas, and photon gas, I should change "uniform temperature" to "almost uniform temperature" in the dense gas and non-dense gas cases, but I won't, because this may be off topics.

Last edited:
jartsa said:
I should change "uniform temperature" to "almost uniform temperature"

Better change it in "uniform as seen from a certain position". Every observer will see the same temperature in any direction but this temperature is not identical for observers at different height.

DrStupid said:
Every observer will see the same temperature in any direction but this temperature is not identical for observers at different height.

Are you referring to the effect of gravitational time dilation? Or are you claiming that there is a temperature gradient because of the gravitational potential? The latter claim, as has already been discussed, is not correct; more precisely, if there is a temperature gradient, thermal conduction will transfer heat so as to remove it and make the temperature uniform throughout the tube.

I mention gravitational time dilation because, in principle, an observer at the top of the tube has a slightly higher "rate of time flow" than an observer at the bottom of the tube, and this will, in principle, affect the temperature they measure. Both observers will measure the entire tube to have the same temperature, but it will be a slightly different temperature for the two observers. But this effect is extremely small for, say, the field of the Earth--about one part in ##10^{16}## for a one meter high tube at the Earth's surface. So we can ignore it here.

PeterDonis said:
Are you referring to the effect of gravitational time dilation?

Yes.

PeterDonis said:
But this effect is extremely small for, say, the field of the Earth
That has already been mentioned.

DrStupid said:
Better change it in "uniform as seen from a certain position". Every observer will see the same temperature in any direction but this temperature is not identical for observers at different height.

I wonder how many readers would get anything about that?:smile:

On the other hand, blueshift of falling photons is nothing very odd. Let's consider blueshift of "falling" photons in an accelerating spacecraft :

A spaceship with uniform temperature turns rocket motors on, radiative heat starts flowing from the "ceiling" to the "floor", clearly there's a heat pump working there, right? After some time the heat flow stops, because a dynamic equilibrium is reached. The heat pump is still on, but heat is not flowing, and the heat pump is doing no work as it's keeping a constant temperature difference between the ceiling and the floor. People on board may think it's gravity that's causing the temperature difference.

PaperProphet said:
I was actually hoping Bystander could expand upon his own suggestion.

I have a good physics background but I'll admit I don't have the answer to my question. I'm hoping someone can provide a cogent, clear, understandable explanation that even someone as dumb as myself can understand. Logically the molecules can't create a difference in temperature otherwise that would violate the laws of thermodynamics...but I don't know why they don't.
Wouldn't the molecules moving up be converting Kinetic energy to potential energy as they slow?

What about gaining or losing KE due to collisions? I don't have an answer to the OP's question, but my 2 cents suggestion is that his question deals with the microscopic behavior of the gas and he is wondering about the macroscopic effect of temperature as a result. Isn't the net energy change within a gas balance out? or, it violates the law of conservation of energy. The gas inside the tube is a system in itself and is defined by the pressure, volume, temperature and number of moles, which define the state of the gas at an instant. Any temperature changes within the gas has to derive the energy from within itself and cancel out.

Last edited:
You can fool yourself with the conservation of energy if you don't consider the boundaries. Consider adiabatic expansion of a gas. The temperature of the gas decreases as it expands. Where does the energy go? It goes into work done on the boundaries of the container as you increase the volume of the container. At a microscopic level, some molecules slow down as they bounce off of the wall of the container as the wall moves away from the center of the chamber. Now, the walls don't have to be real walls; you can just consider an imaginary bubble around a region of gas, as long as the gas is collisional within the bubble. The pressure is essentially the force per unit area on the surface of an imaginary bubble due to collisions.

To tie it back to the column of air, you need to consider the net force on a particle. The gravitational force and the pressure force.

If we consider the gas in a tube and gravity together as a system, then its internal energy cannot change unless heat is supplied or work is done on this system. The work done by gravity is internal work. I think the answer is pressure at the bottom is more and density is also more but the temperature remains same throughout. One more thing is to be noted that temperature is a macroscopic variable which has meaning for a group of molecules and an individual molecule is not supposed to have temperature, pressure or density.