1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Wilcox "Basic fluid mechanics"

1. Jun 30, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody has some experience with the mentioned book?
    I am to take a course in viscous flow and turbulence, and we are supposed to use White's "viscous fluid flow". I always like having a 2nd book, and I am considering Wilcox.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3
    Well it appears Fluids is a field not so big in this forum, which is a shame. That's awesome that you're taking a course in such a awesome field. From what I can gather, Wilcox's book is one of many introductions out there. I haven't seen a TOC but I think it is a good choice given the reviews. I'm thinking it might be too basic for some of the finer things but it'll be a good supplement and refresher.

When I was doing research for a project on Tesla's turbine/pump I used White, Batchelor, and Landau's Fluid Mechanics with some CFD to much success.

5. Aug 4, 2017 #4
    I like Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. The first third of this book covers fluid mechanics very fundamentally, while the second and third sections cover heat transfer and mass transfer. This is a widely used text that has stood the test of time.

6. Aug 11, 2017 #5
    Thanks for answering, guys!
    I got Wilcox now, and I'll try your suggestions if White+Wilcox does not work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted