Will 2 particles with paths crossed collide?

• Thread starter jefer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the collision possibility and minimal distance between two particles, A and B, with given initial positions and velocity vectors. The participants consider using the concept of relative velocity and equating positions to determine if the particles will collide. However, they also discuss the possibility of not colliding and finding the minimal distance instead.
jefer

Homework Statement

The first particle A is starting at origin and it has a velocity vector with magnitude 10km/h and moves at an angle of 30 degrees relative to y axis. The second particle B is starting at (0,5) and it has velocity vector with magnitude 8km/h and moves at an agle of 60 degrees relative to y axis. Will these 2 particles colide, and if not, what is the minimal distance they will be at?

Homework Equations

photo.php.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity vectors with given angles/magnitudes. I'm not sure what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particles will collide at time where both at x and y displacement are equal if time t exist.

Yeah I got position vector rA and rB from formula r(t)=v*t, where r and v are vectors. They have this form rA=x*t*i + y*t*j where i and j are unit vectors. What do I get from equatting positions, how do I calculate time from that?

The correct answer is that they don't collide and minimal distance is 1.8km. So does it really make sense to equate postitions if we're not 100% sure they'll collide? I am really confused :/

Last edited:
Find time in y direction where both displacements are equal. Then on x direction or component. If both time are equal then they meet.

jefer,

Have you studied the concept of relative velocity? If so, what is the velocity of B relative to A?

jefer said:
So does it really make sense to equate positions if we're not 100% sure they'll collide? I'm really confused. :/
When trying to solve the problem, you can assume they'll collide and see what consequences arise from that assumption. If the consequences don't make sense, then you can conclude that the assumption was wrong. It's like a proof by contradiction in math, if you're familiar with those.

1. Will 2 particles with paths crossed always collide?

No, 2 particles with crossed paths will not always collide. It depends on their individual velocities and trajectories.

2. What factors affect the probability of 2 particles with paths crossed colliding?

The probability of 2 particles with crossed paths colliding is affected by their individual masses, velocities, and trajectories.

3. How can we determine if 2 particles with paths crossed will collide?

To determine if 2 particles with crossed paths will collide, we need to calculate their positions and velocities at a specific time and see if they will intersect.

4. Are there any real-life examples of 2 particles with paths crossed colliding?

Yes, there are many examples of 2 particles with crossed paths colliding in real-life, such as collisions between atoms and molecules in a gas, or collisions between particles in particle accelerators.

5. Can 2 particles with paths crossed collide in a vacuum?

Yes, 2 particles with crossed paths can collide in a vacuum. In fact, collisions between particles in a vacuum are often used in experiments to study the behavior of particles and their interactions.