Will an Airplane Maintain Uniform Circular Motion While Banking?

In summary: So for a given theta and r, if v is less than r, then cosine of theta will be less than mg and the plane will turn. If v is greater than r, cosine of theta will be greater than mg and the plane will not turn.
pb23me

Homework Statement

General question:Decide wether an airplane will continue to fly in uniform circular motion while banking on a turn.

Homework Equations

m(v2/r)
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx= Lsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=m(v2/r)
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=Lcos[tex]\theta[/tex]-mg=0

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is if the centripetal force m(v2/r)
is greater than the force of lift in th x direction Lsin[tex]\theta[/tex] is that when it will no longer continue to fly in circular motion? also is there an amount of lift in the x direction that would be too much causing the plane to go in? If so then how do i know how much is the right amount to keep the plane in uniform circular motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it can fly in a circle until it exhausts all fuel.

By banking you know that the horizontal component provides the centripetal force to negotiate a circle. Yes, it reduces the vertical lift and so the airplane has to pitch up a bit so that the angle of attack is increased to compensate for the lost lift. Also since it flies sideways, drag is created which reduces the airspeed and so power has to be increased a bit. But a bank angle cannot exceed 30 degrees in a 737 series.

Ok but on a word problem asking if the force of lift is enough to keep the plane in curcular motion...how do i decide if it is enough?

would i set it equal to the equation for centripetal force m(v2/r)? and if it -force of lift- is smaller then its not enough?

pb23me said:
Ok but on a word problem asking if the force of lift is enough to keep the plane in curcular motion...how do i decide if it is enough?

It depends on what is radius of the circle needed and speed of the airplane.
Sharper turns are better done at low speeds because the centripetal force is lower. At low speeds, list is developed by extending flaps and slats. since for a give radius of turn, the centripetal force is much lower, less lift is stolen to provide centripetal force.

Also better experience for passengers.

V^2/r = L * sin(theta)

Initially a small bank angle won't decrease much the overall lift. The banking itself is caused by increasing lift on one wing and decreasing on the other. So upto a certain bank angle (say 15 deg), centripetal force can be provided. At high bank angles, overall lift starts decreasing faster and raising the nose may cause a stall.

pb23me said:
would i set it equal to the equation for centripetal force m(v2/r)? and if it -force of lift- is smaller then its not enough?

Assume bank angle is theta.
Assume lift force is L normal to the wings after banking

Balancing vertical forces of flight:

Lcos(theta) = mg

Balancing horizontal forces,

Lsine(theta) = mv^2/r

Now tan(theta) = v^2/rg

For a given theta and small r, v has to be small

Related to Will an Airplane Maintain Uniform Circular Motion While Banking?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The speed remains the same, but the direction of the object's velocity changes continuously, pointing towards the center of the circle.

2. What are the forces acting on an object in uniform circular motion?

There are two forces acting on an object in uniform circular motion: the centripetal force and the centrifugal force. The centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path, while the centrifugal force is an apparent force that arises due to the object's inertia.

3. How is uniform circular motion different from linear motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path, while in linear motion, the object moves along a straight line. Additionally, in uniform circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, while in linear motion, the velocity remains constant.

4. What is the role of velocity and acceleration in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing, but the magnitude of the velocity remains constant. This means that the object is accelerating, even though its speed does not change. The acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and is known as the centripetal acceleration.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Uniform circular motion is governed by Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain in its state of motion (in this case, moving along a circular path) unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force acting on the object to its acceleration, which in uniform circular motion is directed towards the center of the circle.