Will the US reintroduce the draft?

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Draft
East Asia, where it has been greatly neglected for the last 30 years.2. ...is poised to pull out of the ABM treaty to build a missile defense system that the Chinese can't get around.3. ...is actively courting India to form an anti-Chinese alliance.4. ...is looking to build up its forces in Iraq as a proxy to contain the Chinese.5. ...is in the process of building a network of bases around the Caspian Sea to counter Chinese and Russian influence.6. ...is building up its energy reserves, both by government and private enterprise, to counter the Chinese energy dominance.7. ...is openly looking to overthrow the Chinese
The Smoking Man said:
It's a known fact that people with a vested interest tend to consider their decisions much more than those who don't.

The man lest likely to declare a 'war of convenience' is one who has 7 sons of service age.

The one most likely to declare a war of convenience is one who can put his children out of harms way or who doesn't have any at all.

Who are the most likely to go to war when one is declared? Certainly not the children of the Bush 'haves and have mores'!

This does not address my point. What about the kids that have to goto war? All anyone seems to be concerned with is the politics, what of the people who are fighting the war? Not their fathers...get it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Smoking Man said:
Sure ... you believe that YOU work for the government and that your government does not work for you.

I thought that was just a 'Communist Chinese' thing but I guess fascists crawl out of the woodwork under any system.

How am I being a fascist?

The government does not have a duty to work for anyone! I hate this progressive, the world owes me something, kind of attitude. The government is the people and the people do not owe anyone anything.

The Smoking Man said:
It's a known fact that people with a vested interest tend to consider their decisions much more than those who don't.
The vested interest being life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness?

The Smoking Man said:
The man lest likely to declare a 'war of convenience' is one who has 7 sons of service age.
False premise or trolling? Remember DNFTT.

The Smoking Man said:
The one most likely to declare a war of convenience is one who can put his children out of harms way or who doesn't have any at all.
A war of necessity however…

The Smoking Man said:
Who are the most likely to go to war when one is declared? Certainly not the children of the Bush 'haves and have mores'!
Under Bush’s leadership it seems all will have more including the government. Because of the tax cuts, tax revenue is up 40% from corporations, 15% from the “wealthy” and very little from the middle class. Of course the poor pay nothing. Let's see, Euro down, Dollar up, Chirac dead, Blair very alive, UK < 5% unemployment, France >10% unemployment...

Lets see, oil prices are dropping due to lesser demand from China. Is it due to a decreased economic growth or a switch to the more polluting coal? Anyhow I dumped my gas futures a week or so ago.

Townsend said:
How am I being a fascist?

The government does not have a duty to work for anyone! I hate this progressive, the world owes me something, kind of attitude. The government is the people and the people do not owe anyone anything.
Duh ... 'OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people.'

Does NOT mean you work for them.

You seem to have forgoten that the people are not responsible to the government but hat a government is responsible to its people.

Yes you are being a fascist when you force ANYBODY to fight for something they do not believe in.

In America it is the individual's rights that are paramount and that is why the draft is so heinous ... it makes people take up arms when they do not believe in the cause.

More civil countries who do have manditory service, like Holland, allow people who are pacifists to enter into other types of service like medical fields for two years.

Townsend said:
This does not address my point. What about the kids that have to goto war? All anyone seems to be concerned with is the politics, what of the people who are fighting the war? Not their fathers...get it?
It sure as heck isn't the people fighting the war that declare said war.

In most cases, it is the people who have nobody involved in the forces.

I believe that of all of congress and the senate there were two children of these men stationed in Iraq.

The politics IS what is influenced by realities of war.

Bush chose to engage Iraq knowing they were not a nuclear power and yet he negotiates with North Korea. This is in direct conflict with the refusal to negotiate with terrorists. Why is that? BECAUSE THE FALLOUT WOULD EFFECT THE USA AND US ALLIES.

GENIERE said:
The vested interest being life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness?

Saddam was denying you those things?

GENIERE said:
False premise or trolling?

What is false about it?

GENIERE said:
A war of necessity however…

I didn't say that a man with 7 sons would always vote against war did I? I just said that he would give it greater consideration.

GENIERE said:
Under Bush’s leadership it seems all will have more including the government. Because of the tax cuts, tax revenue is up 40% from corporations, 15% from the “wealthy” and very little from the middle class. Of course the poor pay nothing. Let's see, Euro down, Dollar up, Chirac dead, Blair very alive, UK < 5% unemployment, France >10% unemployment...

Lets see, oil prices are dropping due to lesser demand from China. Is it due to a decreased economic growth or a switch to the more polluting coal? Anyhow I dumped my gas futures a week or so ago. ...

So this little party political broadcast has what to do with the content of this board?

Your observation are also incredibly juvinile at best. China HAS been using coal for its entire existence. In fact, the USA is attempting to block the Chinese purchase of Unocal which would facilitate a move FROM high sulphur coal. I guess, as in all aspects of the environment, the USA has the wrong end of the stick again.

GENIERE said:
Lets see, oil prices are dropping due to lesser demand from China. Is it due to a decreased economic growth or a switch to the more polluting coal? Anyhow I dumped my gas futures a week or so ago.

Oil prices dropping :confused:
7/12/2005 5:40:39 PM ET
Stocks battle $60 crude oil to a draw..... The finish came on a day when stocks had to battle a $1.70-a-barrel rise in the price of crude oil to $60.62 and a 5% jump in the price of natural gas.
Somewhat higher than the $30 level the Iraq war was supposed to reduce.

On the subject of CNOOC's (75% owned by the Chinese gov't) takeover bid for Unocal
At hearings Wednesday in Washington, lawmakers said the CNOOC offer was part of a Chinese effort to gain control of foreign oil and gas sources, and that a deal would give China political leverage in areas where the oil company has resources.
"The simple fact is that energy is a strategic commodity," said House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter. He said Unocal's holdings, which include drilling rights and exploratory capabilities in Asia and elsewhere, "represent strategic assets that affect U.S. national security."

Lawmakers and witnesses dismissed CNOOC claims that its offer was a purely commercial deal.

To accept that it "is extraordinarily naive," said former CIA Director James Woolsey.
And the Iraq war had nothing to do with oil? At least the Chinese are prepared to pay for their 'political leverage in oil producing regions' :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smoking Man said:

Since it's such a well known fact, I'm sure you won't mind posting proof. :yuck:

kat said:
Since it's such a well known fact, I'm sure you won't mind posting proof. :yuck:
Sure, America refused the second world war until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and America came under threat. When it was a possibility for Americans to die in the war, your considerations changed.

In Vietnam there were hundreds of Bushs and Clintons with parents of influence who were decisionmakers who were allowed to sit out the war in roles far different than what you are seeing now. You're not going to tell me that 'Little Rock Arkansas' was the end of the Ho Chi Minh trail are you and that you think the 'younger Bush' just might have seen action?

Was Bill Clinton going to see any action from his digs in an English University?

Kerry just didn't quite understand the game and ended up doing a couple of days on shore in Nam and spent the rest of the time dreaming up new ways to get a new Purple Heart.

Go on, after JFK, Bush Sr. and Bob Dole, Inoue(sp?) and a few of the old guard, how many war heros are now serving in the congress and how many were in 'the guard' or University?

The Smoking Man said:
Sure, America refused the second world war until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and America came under threat. When it was a possibility for Americans to die in the war, your considerations changed.

In Vietnam there were hundreds of Bushs and Clintons with parents of influence who were decisionmakers who were allowed to sit out the war in roles far different than what you are seeing now. You're not going to tell me that 'Little Rock Arkansas' was the end of the Ho Chi Minh trail are you and that you think the 'younger Bush' just might have seen action?

Was Bill Clinton going to see any action from his digs in an English University?

Kerry just didn't quite understand the game and ended up doing a couple of days on shore in Nam and spent the rest of the time dreaming up new ways to get a new Purple Heart.

Go on, after JFK, Bush Sr. and Bob Dole, Inoue(sp?) and a few of the old guard, how many war heros are now serving in the congress and how many were in 'the guard' or University?

McCain and Kerry. And Kerrey, as well, although he's not currently serving in office. And McCain is one of the couple that also has a son in the military. That's two (plus a recent Senator now out of office) right off the top of my head without putting much thought into it.

About a third of Congress have prior military experience, although I don't have the current numbers. The number tends to decrease with each election, though. (Fewer Vets in Congress)

It's not exactly pertinent, but is an interesting trivia question - who's the only female veteran in Congress?

Last edited:
BobG said:
It's not exactly pertinent, but is an interesting trivia question - who's the only female veteran in Congress?
Heather Wilson USAF 1978 - 89

BobG said:
McCain and Kerry. And Kerrey, as well, although he's not currently serving in office. And McCain is one of the couple that also has a son in the military. That's two (plus a recent Senator now out of office) right off the top of my head without putting much thought into it.

About a third of Congress have prior military experience, although I don't have the current numbers. The number tends to decrease with each election, though. (Fewer Vets in Congress)

Oooo ... cool 2... Out of HOW many?

And how many have military experience similar to Shrub?

You say you don't even know who they are. How do you know HOW they served or when?

Heck, a few of them have fake diplomas from diploma mills!

How do you know WHAT the story is?

A few are also Democrats. What is their current voting record? (I will ignore the initial vote that took you into Iraq since the 'books were cooked' as we all know. http://www.yourcongress.com/ViewArticle.asp?article_id=2686 )

You have also linked to data published in the year 2000.

So what about Jo Ann Davis, R-Va? Did she not make it back into congress?

The Smoking Man said:
Duh ... 'OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people.'

Does NOT mean you work for them.

You seem to have forgoten that the people are not responsible to the government but hat a government is responsible to its people.

What are you talking about? The government has a responsibility to protect peoples agreed upon rights...you know, the ones in the bill or rights. That is the ONLY responsibility of the government to the people and that is the only reason the government should exist.

Yes you are being a fascist when you force ANYBODY to fight for something they do not believe in.

Um no...http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=fascism does not mean mandatory military service and mandatory military service does not mean fascism. Words have meanings and you cannot just twist those meanings to fit your definitions at will.

In America it is the individual's rights that are paramount and that is why the draft is so heinous ... it makes people take up arms when they do not believe in the cause.

If that’s so then why are we compromising the rights of the individual with BS progressivism?

More civil countries who do have manditory service, like Holland, allow people who are pacifists to enter into other types of service like medical fields for two years.

Well, that is what I am advocating now isn’t it? I am saying you are cut off from government service if you don't serve two years. That’s not mandatory at all!

Regards
[edit]the government has a responsibilitiy to uphold the constitution which enumerates its powers and the rights of the individual[/edit]

Last edited:
Townsend said:
I think I would like to have 2 years mandatory military service from all people upon reaching the age of 18. Well no, on second thought I would give them a choice, zero government support for the rest of their lives or mandatory military service.

By zero government support I mean that if any company has any kind of government contract, you cannot work there. You cannot receive any kind of government loans or grants. You cannot hold any kind of office...you get the point.
In other words, mandatory by way of blackmail. That sounds about right (from the "right"). I can't imagine if I had a child who had to go to Iraq right now. It's bad enough the lives and taxes being wasted in Shrub's War. And I think it would be the last straw for many Americans.
The Smoking Man said:
Sure ... you believe that YOU work for the government and that your government does not work for you.

I thought that was just a 'Communist Chinese' thing but I guess fascists crawl out of the woodwork under any system.
Ditto.
The Smoking Man said:

A couple of people I know who have supported the war and Bush are now very nervous about a draft. People who are victimized by a crime suddenly become pro-capital punishment. I think this is the point that was being made above.

Getting back to the daft

Current "administration approved" tactics the military may use to increase enlistment and retain personnel include:

Change of regulations allowing high school drop outs to enlist.

Bonuses of $150,000 for Special Forces, and Navy Seals if they re-enlist, even if they are not currently stationed in a combat zone.

Bonuses for former military who will enlist again.

Increased age limit for joining National Guard or Reserves.

Bonuses for first time and delayed entry enlistees.

Allowing illegal aliens to join the military.

Under the, no child left behind act, schools are required to give students personal information to military recruiters.

2CentsWorth said:
In other words, mandatory by way of blackmail. That sounds about right (from the "right").

So what, people shouldn't have to pay for all the benefits the government gives them. You liberals are like kids...always biting the hand that feeds.

Deal with reality and stop crying because you have to actually pay for something instead of getting it for free from the government you cheap bastards. In the real world if you want something from someone , tax payers money in this case, then you must give them something in exchange for it. Why should anyone get all the benefits of jobs and social welfare from this country and yet do nothing in exchange for it?

solutions in a box said:
Current "administration approved" tactics the military may use to increase enlistment and retain personnel include:

Change of regulations allowing high school drop outs to enlist.

Bonuses of $150,000 for Special Forces, and Navy Seals if they re-enlist, even if they are not currently stationed in a combat zone.

Under the, no child left behind act, schools are required to give students personal information to military recruiters.

With a couple of exceptions it has been that way for years now. Its nothing new at all and it certainly does not correspond to this war. Just saying that so people don't get the idea that recruitment is down because of the all the fighting going on.

Townsend.

Who are you kidding, most of the recruitment tactics listed are recent ie the last two years. Military rercuitment lies go waaay back.

For those of you who have talked about why young people join the military, here is a link with the DOD point of view. The joiners are the ones that the recruiters love to find.

Joiners. Demographically, Joiners are predominantly from less well-to-do working or lower middle-class homes. They tend, as well, to reside in smaller towns or rural environments. Most of the youth in this category have a familial tradition of military service and/or extensive contact with people serving in the military. Their familiarity with military life, also, is generally greater than that for youth in any of the other propensity groups, although this familiarity does not always prove a positive influence. Some of the descriptions of military life lead to ambivalence about enlisting in the military.

Many of the youth in this group feel they are not college material or that they are not ready for college at this time. Some are not academically inclined, and others believe that they lack the discipline to study and avoid the "party" temptation if they were to go away to school. "Discipline" and "taking orders" form the most central images of military life for Joiners. These images were not necessarily negative. Several youth noted that accepting discipline can serve an important and maturing role in their lives. For many, the military is considered a structured environment that can prepare them for future careers.

The primary motivations for joining the military are to gain access to training and benefits. Training is considered a stepping stone to the future. Some are enlisting expressly to obtain money for education. These youth are either not ready for college at this time or require funds in order to pursue higher education. Relatively few youth mention serving their country as a motivation for enlistment. The few that did were often apologetic and prefaced their remarks with "I’m not all that patriotic, but..." as if embarrassed to admit a larger social or ideological motivation. Most expressed apprehension about war. Combat and the possibility of dying or killing were worrisome, but they generally considered they were entering a peacetime military.

Last edited:
If only one person got killed everyday in Iraq, in just a month 30 people would have been killed, so it would be better if nobody got killed, which is really obvious.

edward said:
Townsend.

Who are you kidding, most of the recruitment tactics listed are recent ie the last two years. Military rercuitment lies go waaay back.

No they have been around for along time. In fact the US Navy had the highest recruitment ever about a year after 9-11. I have 8.5 years of service so please stop trying to bullsh!t me ok.

Bonuses are nothing new...I got a 36,000 dollar bonus for reenlisting for 4 years and I had a normal rating.

Being happening on and off for years...welcome to 15 or 20 years ago.

They have been doing this for years too, its called a waiver. The only difference is that now its official.

This is new but not that new...welcome to about 3 years ago.

Have you ever in your life been to a military base? I know some old Master Chiefs that are retiring after 32 years of service. Guess what...they joined out the Navy as an Alien while living in another country. Been happening for years.

Whats the point? That is not a recruitment tool as much as it is to keep recruiters and possible enlistees honest.

Why don't you try taking your argument to somewhere else because it is all BS.

Townsend said:
So what, people shouldn't have to pay for all the benefits the government gives them. You liberals are like kids...always biting the hand that feeds.

Deal with reality and stop crying because you have to actually pay for something instead of getting it for free from the government you cheap bastards. In the real world if you want something from someone , tax payers money in this case, then you must give them something in exchange for it. Why should anyone get all the benefits of jobs and social welfare from this country and yet do nothing in exchange for it?
Now you have almost got it.

You are assuming that just republicans are taxpayers, is that it?

Personally I could give a 'rats ...' but you seem to have this perverse notion that 'he who sits on the other side of the floor is a traitor' because he believes in the freedom of the individual instead of him being indentured and controlled by the state.

Must they all 'drink the koolaide' to prove they are loyal and have the right to live in America?

The more you speak, the more I am glad I left the USA in favour of China where it seems less and less likely I will face a war except in the boardroom.

edward said:
Townsend.

Joiners. Demographically, Joiners are predominantly from less well-to-do working or lower middle-class homes. They tend, as well, to reside in smaller towns or rural environments.

Yeah, and I actually respect these people for taking control of their lives. Why would that bother you so much? Oh, right, I almost forgot...you liberals want to keep people down by supporting welfare and encouraging people to stop trying.

Most of the youth in this category have a familial tradition of military service and/or extensive contact with people serving in the military. Their familiarity with military life, also, is generally greater than that for youth in any of the other propensity groups, although this familiarity does not always prove a positive influence. Some of the descriptions of military life lead to ambivalence about enlisting in the military.

This article is crap...most people who come from military families are considered well to do. Exactly the opposite of what this article is saying. So I say BS.

Many of the youth in this group feel they are not college material or that they are not ready for college at this time. Some are not academically inclined, and others believe that they lack the discipline to study and avoid the "party" temptation if they were to go away to school. "Discipline" and "taking orders" form the most central images of military life for Joiners. These images were not necessarily negative. Several youth noted that accepting discipline can serve an important and maturing role in their lives. For many, the military is considered a structured environment that can prepare them for future careers.
This misconstrues the facts. I belong to this group when I joined and I can tell you from experience that there is a lot more it than what this article is saying.

The primary motivations for joining the military are to gain access to training and benefits. Training is considered a stepping stone to the future. Some are enlisting expressly to obtain money for education. These youth are either not ready for college at this time or require funds in order to pursue higher education. Relatively few youth mention serving their country as a motivation for enlistment.

Again why do you have a problem with people earning their way through life?

The few that did were often apologetic and prefaced their remarks with "I’m not all that patriotic, but..." as if embarrassed to admit a larger social or ideological motivation. Most expressed apprehension about war. Combat and the possibility of dying or killing were worrisome, but they generally considered they were entering a peacetime military.

This is complete and utter crap...I cannot believe you would post such crap and try to pass it off as real. What the hell kind of website is that anyways? Most importantly why is trying to sound like a DOD paper when it obviously is not?

Townsend said:

So, Americans have to pay for what they give to the government in taxes by taking up arms against a nation in the Middle East who threatens Kuwait and Israel?

This is freedom to you?

So you are saying that what what Halliburton is doing IS corporate welfare; that they are NOT biting the hand that FEEDS?

You're saying the private individuals who are being paid $10,000 per month to drive a truck are really just 'true patriots' and 'good republicans' who believe in the almighty American dollar and are defending the Republican way of life?

The Smoking Man said:
Now you have almost got it.

You are assuming that just republicans are taxpayers, is that it?

Nope...and please don't start saying I am saying that. Stick to what is actually said and drop your misconceptions about me, ok.

Personally I could give a 'rats ...' but you seem to have this perverse notion that 'he who sits on the other side of the floor is a traitor' because he believes in the freedom of the individual instead of him being indentured and controlled by the state.

Wrong...from here on out quote me where I am making such claims before you put words into my mouth, thank you.

Must they all 'drink the koolaide' to prove they are loyal and have the right to live in America?

To get something you must give something...a simple concept.

The more you speak, the more I am glad I left the USA in favour of China where it seems less and less likely I will face a war except in the boardroom.

Well, you are welcome back anytime. I accept your views even if I don't agree with them and I would have no problem having you as my neighbor.

Regards,

Townsend

"Have you ever in your life been to a military base? I know some old Master Chiefs that are retiring after 32 years of service. Guess what...they joined out the Navy as an Alien while living in another country. Been happening for years. BS."

Youre not the only military veteran here dude. I could name 7 military bases that I was assigned to.

The big differences between then and now is that then serving in the military was a legal way to gain citizenship. But documentation was needed.
The guys coming up from mexico and joining now have nothing but fake green cards.

http://capmag.com/articlePrint.asp?ID=3157

The link you call an article and crap was actually a study done for the DOD by:
http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/dmdc.html

Never presume you know everything. Only a swabbie would talk out of his arse.

The Smoking Man said:
So, Americans have to pay for what they give to the government in taxes by taking up arms against a nation in the Middle East who threatens Kuwait and Israel?

You think that by putting words into my mouth that you can actually win an argument?

This is freedom to you?
Just so you know I think that freedom is liberty for the individual, both socially and economically.

So you are saying that what what Halliburton is doing IS corporate welfare; that they are NOT biting the hand that FEEDS?

No, if I said that then you would probably quoted me saying it but I didn't so you somehow feel compelled to tell me what I am saying.

You're saying the private individuals who are being paid $10,000 per month to drive a truck are really just 'true patriots' and 'good republicans' who believe in the almighty American dollar and are defending the Republican way of life?

:rolleyes:

There is no point to this if all you can do is place words into my mouth.

Regards,

edward said:
Townsend

You're not the only military veteran here dude. I could name 7 military bases that I was assigned to.

The big differences between then and now is that then serving in the military was an easy way to gain citizenship. But documentation was needed a passport or any legal document was Ok.
The guys coming up from mexico and joining now have nothing but fake green cards.

http://capmag.com/articlePrint.asp?ID=3157

Never presume you know everything.

You people are the worst ever in the world at assuming crap. I don't believe you were in the service at all. But I never assumed anything. The point is that you are stating that crap like its a new thing. You leave out the fact that its not new at all! Thats more like lying than anything else, especially if you actually knew the difference.

I could name 7 military bases that I was assigned to.

You PCSed to 7 different bases? Is that what you're saying?

Townsend said:
Nope...and please don't start saying I am saying that. Stick to what is actually said and drop your misconceptions about me, ok.

I did quote you:

Townsend said:

You clearly state that the problems is with the 'liberals'.
Townsend said:
Wrong...from here on out quote me where I am making such claims before you put words into my mouth, thank you.
I did ... as above you state that the liberals are wrong because they refuse to recognize that they are required to support their government and pay for what they receive with the possible loss of life in a war and go further on to say that you demand 2 years service out of each citizen in payment:
Townsend said:
Well, that is what I am advocating now isn’t it? I am saying you are cut off from government service if you don't serve two years. That’s not mandatory at all!
Townsend said:
To get something you must give something...a simple concept.

Townsend said:
Well, you are welcome back anytime. I accept your views even if I don't agree with them and I would have no problem having you as my neighbor.
That's not the question. I would like a say in the disposition of the lives of my children. You do not offer me that and those conditions are unacceptable.

Townsend said:
You think that by putting words into my mouth that you can actually win an argument?

Just so you know I think that freedom is liberty for the individual, both socially and economically.

No, if I said that then you would probably quoted me saying it but I didn't so you somehow feel compelled to tell me what I am saying.

:rolleyes:

There is no point to this if all you can do is place words into my mouth.

Regards,
So stop speaking in esoteric words that must be interpreted and deal in hard facts then.

What is it you expect from the average US citizen relative to Iraq?

Do you believe that all us citizens should now, if they are of service age, go down to the registration office and sign up for service to put in their two years in Iraq?

And if they refuse to do so and they are the majority of the population and the majority of the population refuses the draft, do you think the government is correct in acting against the majority of the people by deliberately acting against the will of the democracy by penalizing them for 'not paying'?

Again, do you believe the government reflects the will of the people or the people reflect the will of the government?

Townsend said:
You people are the worst ever in the world at assuming crap. I don't believe you were in the service at all. But I never assumed anything. The point is that you are stating that crap like its a new thing. You leave out the fact that its not new at all! Thats more like lying than anything else, especially if you actually knew the difference.

You PCSed to 7 different bases? Is that what you're saying?

Thats right 7 and the official link to the "article" you called crap is :

http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/dmdc.html

The Smoking Man said:
I did quote you:

You clearly state that the problems is with the 'liberals'.
You liberals are like kids...always biting the hand that feeds.

What problem are you talking about? Liberals tend to believe that the government owe things like welfare and health care and jobs. The government does not owe the people these things. And to get those things what is wrong with requiring people to earn them?

I did ... as above you state that the liberals are wrong because they refuse to recognize that they are required to support their government and pay for what they receive with the possible loss of life in a war and go further on to say that you demand 2 years service out of each citizen in payment:

The libs want to get a good job working at a company that has a GOV contract, they want free health care,free education and they don't think that anyone should have to do a dame thing to get it. Sorry, that's not the way things work nor should they work.

That's not the question. I would like a say in the disposition of the lives of my children. You do not offer me that and those conditions are unacceptable.

You are entitled to make your own fortune. I encourage you to by all means acquire as much wealth for you and your family as you possibly can. What does that have to do with getting handouts? You want government aid, pay for it with some service. Whats the big deal?

The Smoking Man said:
Duh ...

Indeed a very civil country.

http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/currentaffairs/region/netherlands/nl040611.html?view=Standard

Foreign Minister Ben Bot and Defence Minister Henk Kamp had made it clear on numerous occasions over recent months that they strongly supported a continuation of the country's military presence in the southern Iraqi province of al-Muthanna.

Townsend

Stop with all the rhetoric please and post something that can be supported or verified in any way other than your own opinion.

Last edited:
Townsend said:
I think I would like to have 2 years mandatory military service from all people upon reaching the age of 18. Well no, on second thought I would give them a choice, zero government support for the rest of their lives or mandatory military service.

By zero government support I mean that if any company has any kind of government contract, you cannot work there. You cannot receive any kind of government loans or grants. You cannot hold any kind of office...you get the point.
I'd agree with 2 years of some kind of community service to receive government benefits like tuition assistance, etc. even if I wouldn't go to the extreme of zero government benefits. Defaulting on government subsidized student loans used to be pretty common, especially for the folks who went for the liberal arts degrees and then found out construction workers make more than Midieval History majors. Even now, the crack down on folks who default on student loans basically just prevents you from pulling the same scam twice.

I also don't think military service would be the best option for such a large number of people. Considering the cost of training, there just aren't a huge number of jobs in the military where you get your money's worth out of someone in only two years, especially if you're bringing in unmotivated recruits. In fact, finding some type of government service that untrained people could perform for two years would be the big challenge even outside the military.

Maybe a better option would be to target specific benefits as requiring some type of community service. Education benefits would be the perfect fit if the community service were performed after graduation instead of before. ROTC already performs this role for the military, except they require 4 years instead of 2, so the new programs should be targeted towards some other government areas.

The Smoking Man said:
So stop speaking in esoteric words that must be interpreted and deal in hard facts then.
I will write how ever I want thank you very much. Don't like it? tuff...

What is it you expect from the average US citizen relative to Iraq?

As of right now I don't expect anything from the average US citizen. We have an all volunteer military that is taking care of it.

Do you believe that all us citizens should now, if they are of service age, go down to the registration office and sign up for service to put in their two years in Iraq?

No..if it were up to me I would make this thing policy during a time of peace.

And if they refuse to do so and they are the majority of the population and the majority of the population refuses the draft, do you think the government is correct in acting against the majority of the people by deliberately acting against the will of the democracy by penalizing them for 'not paying'?

The government has a duty to protect itself and the individual from the tyranny of faction. That is what make the US what it is.

The government does not have to act for the will of faction, not now and not ever!

Again, do you believe the government reflects the will of the people or the people reflect the will of the government?

Again?...this is the first time you have asked me that. I can answer that with any kind of opinion at all. The constitution was designed to protect the liberties of the individual. Its goal is diffuse the voice of the people through a complex system of republican representation and checks and balances. I believe James Madison and the Federalist got most of it right when they drafted the constitution.

Last edited: