Will these math courses be of much use to a ME

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gauss M.D.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Courses
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Gauss M.D.
Messages
151
Reaction score
1
In ME, we're required to take the usual single- and multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and a bunch of courses in finite element analysis and such. For some weird reason, Fourier analysis isn't required. I would really like to add some extra math to my degree (which will be a masters in the end) but I'm not sure which courses would be most useful. I'd like to optimize for a specialization in computational mechanics, possibly a phd.

Multi variable calculus II
Complex analysis
Fourier analysis
Statistics and probability II
Optimization II
Signals and systems

It's basically more math, or a bunch of programming courses. I guess it's worth mentioning that the mandatory programming courses don't add up to much at all so it's not like there's a shortage of non-math courses that would be useful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO, anything resembling vector analysis is a big plus, you will be confronting tensors head on in that specialization, intro to PDE would be huge plus... also, I wouldn't discount programming, your whole world will revolve around mathematical modeling( with cpu ). I'd take math and programing 50/50.
 
Probably the most generally useful in industry would be Stats II and Opt II.

Depending on what your interest are, MV Calc II would be relevant to FE theory, and the other three to dynamics, especially vibration measurement and experimental modal analysis (which can involve plenty of theory, as well as sticking accelerometers on things and hitting them with hammers!)

The other three
 
Thanks for the input guys!

Sounds like signals and systems and complex analysis would be the least useful to a ME then? Or will complex analysis show up enough in enough weird, unexpected ways that it might be worthwhile?