1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will these math courses be of much use to a ME

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    In ME, we're required to take the usual single- and multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and a bunch of courses in finite element analysis and such. For some weird reason, Fourier analysis isn't required. I would really like to add some extra math to my degree (which will be a masters in the end) but I'm not sure which courses would be most useful. I'd like to optimize for a specialization in computational mechanics, possibly a phd.

Multi variable calculus II
    Complex analysis
    Fourier analysis
    Statistics and probability II
    Optimization II
    Signals and systems

It's basically more math, or a bunch of programming courses. I guess it's worth mentioning that the mandatory programming courses don't add up to much at all so it's not like there's a shortage of non-math courses that would be useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2
    IMHO, anything resembling vector analysis is a big plus, you will be confronting tensors head on in that specialization, intro to PDE would be huge plus... also, I wouldn't discount programming, your whole world will revolve around mathematical modeling( with cpu ). I'd take math and programing 50/50.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably the most generally useful in industry would be Stats II and Opt II.

Depending on what your interest are, MV Calc II would be relevant to FE theory, and the other three to dynamics, especially vibration measurement and experimental modal analysis (which can involve plenty of theory, as well as sticking accelerometers on things and hitting them with hammers!)

The other three

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the input guys!

Sounds like signals and systems and complex analysis would be the least useful to a ME then? Or will complex analysis show up enough in enough weird, unexpected ways that it might be worthwhile?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook