Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

William Bennett: you could abort every black baby

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

William Bennett: "...you could abort every black baby..."

"If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/30/bennett.comments/

What more need be said? Oh yes, how about slimebag?

Another great mind brought to you by the Republicans.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2
    Interesting idea. If we extended the solution to white babies too we may be onto something. Hmmmm....

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3
    I love the way Bennet thinks he hasn't done something wrong because he's not 'advocating' such a course of action... like the fact that he even thought of it isn't worrying in itself. It's like when Michael Jackson stressed he wasn't really going to chuck his baby off the balcony, so it was okay that he dangled it over the edge. Weird people. Weird times.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember when a seasoned Democratic insider went off on Bennett one day on Face the Nation....I think it was... I don't remember for sure who it was any longer, but I remember that David Gergen as well as other high level pros were regulars, and this guy was of that caliber or nearly so. But he just lost it and called Bennett a pompous ass. Bennett responded by announcing that this would be his last appearance on the show. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  6. Sep 30, 2005 #5
    They played the audio clip of this statement yesterday on Howard Stern and my mouth about hit the floor.
    This guy is insane.

Howard made a point that seemed rather insightful.
    He said that with all these Right wing conservative shows now, that they must all try to one up each other.
    Thats why you got Rush calling people "Neighger's" and "Spearchuckers" and now this guy talking about aborting black babies.

Oh how I love the "christians" of America. :yuck:

7. Sep 30, 2005 #6
    Ok, I'm convinced this guy knows absolutely nothing about Sociology. What qualifications are necessary to become a Secretary of Education in this country?

I'm sure he looked at statistics on violent crimes and ethnicity of prisoners in this country and came to the erronious conclusion that race is the determining factor. Poverty is more likely the motivation and a lack of education may be a part of the cause. If William Bennet was better at his job then perhaps those statistics he heard about would be different. This guy obviously doesn't want to put the effort into doing his job well if he is even making suggestions like this.

I'm amazed that this is the solution he chose to voice in public. In his position there is no room for racist remarks to the press, even in jest. I hope he catches a lot of heat from the other Republicans for this and I wouldn't mind if he was replaced by an individual that is actually concerned for the people he is in office to help.

8. Sep 30, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, obviously he didn't mean that we should do abort all black babies, but the fact that his mind even went there is what I think people find so offensive. There is a shocking callousness about it all, which in general is what has always offended me when I have listened to him over the years.

9. Sep 30, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, according to Bennett's own words this may be worse that I thought. In order to defend himself he states, "we took an idea and threw it out there...and decided that it was reprehensible". Okay, so he did actually entertain the idea. :yuck:

10. Sep 30, 2005 #9
    Was this guy drunk? That is pretty outrageous.

11. Sep 30, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Going back in time to another great fella who worked with Bennett under Reagan, James Watt.

He resigned eighteen days later.

12. Sep 30, 2005 #11

SOS2008

Gold Member

Civil rights activists, etc. have called for an apology. Looks like the GOP isn't do well with minority groups these days. What gets me is you would think someone associated with education would be a little more enlightened then that.

13. Sep 30, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh man... this guy must be a closet democrat if he says horrible things and tries to sidestep it by saying that in the end, it shouldn't be done. I mean... well... we all watched the news over the years and heard the dozens of democrats who've had to retract dumbass statements like this guy will (or better....)

14. Sep 30, 2005 #13

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl: Oh man, we all know civil rights has been part of the Dem's platform forever. :rolleyes:

15. Sep 30, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah. More Jim Crow laws... ah yes, they had civil rights as a platform for a long time...

16. Sep 30, 2005 #15
    It's amazing to me that you're trying to turn this into an attack on the Democratic Party. Good Lord...

17. Sep 30, 2005 #16
    Yeah, go ahead and pile onto the poor man for making a stupid comment. Show no mercy!

18. Sep 30, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Either he thinks Jim Crow is a Democrat, or he is being a troll. (Hint - Jim Crow is not a person at all.)

19. Sep 30, 2005 #18
    To be fair, the Democratic Party wasn't always pro-Civil Rights. Just look at the Southern Democrats after the Civil War. But I can't recall watching the news during the 1860s...

Now, if you look at the more recent history of Civil Rights...uh...Pengwuino, where have you been living if you think the Democratic Party (of the United States, just in case...) was generally in favor of Jim Crow laws during the 1960s?

20. Sep 30, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So wait... were the 1860's before or after "forever"... ya know, the time frame SOS pointed out.... And I guess I must have been mistaken. If SOS doesn't know what Jim Crow means, I must have meant something else... She knows everything o:)

I'm pretty amazed that whenever a democrat foolishly compares Bush to Hitler or the police to brownshirts, no one says a word yet this gets its own thread (not that this doesn't deserve one). Did somebody saaaaaaaaaay McBias.

Holy hell im hungry.... and now i want mcdonalds... look what you jerks made me do! :devil: :devil: :devil:

21. Sep 30, 2005 #20
    Wow, you really are all about trolling huh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?