Wind-Induced Bending Stress on Chimney with Rectangular Cross-Section

In summary, the chimney can withstand a maximum uniform wind-pressure loading of N/m2 acting normal to one of the 800 mm wide faces, assuming no tensile stress is allowed to develop on the cross-section at the base.
pj33
TL;DR Summary
I cannot visualise how the wind will cancel the tesile stress due to the selfweight
A chimney has a rectangular cross-section with external dimensions 800 × 600 mm and wall thickness 150 mm. It is 5 m high. The density of the material is 2000 kg/m3. Assuming that the material is elastic, calculate the maximum uniform wind-pressure loading (N/m2) that the chimney can withstand, acting normally to one of the 800 mm wide faces, if no tensile stress is allowed to develop on the cross-section at the base

I can see that the selfweight causes compression on the base, but how does the wind helps to cancel the tensile stress.
I will really appreciate a detailed explanation because I am a bit confused.
Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
pj33 said:
Summary:: I cannot visualise how the wind will cancel the tesile stress due to the selfweight

A chimney has a rectangular cross-section with external dimensions 800 × 600 mm and wall thickness 150 mm. It is 5 m high. The density of the material is 2000 kg/m3. Assuming that the material is elastic, calculate the maximum uniform wind-pressure loading (N/m2) that the chimney can withstand, acting normally to one of the 800 mm wide faces, if no tensile stress is allowed to develop on the cross-section at the base

I can see that the selfweight causes compression on the base, but how does the wind helps to cancel the tensile stress.
I will really appreciate a detailed explanation because I am a bit confused.
Thank you in advance!
It’s not the wind load that cancels the tensile stress, the wind load induces tensile stress on one side of the neutral axis, and compressive stress on the other It’s the chimney weight that cancels the tensile bending stress by inducing axial compressive stress.

Likes Chestermiller and pj33
PhanthomJay said:
It’s not the wind load that cancels the tensile stress, the wind load induces tensile stress on one side of the neutral axis, and compressive stress on the other It’s the chimney weight that cancels the tensile bending stress by inducing axial compressive stress.
Thanks a lot, that answers a lot!
No I have solved the question.

Likes PhanthomJay

What is the purpose of the "Beams-Bending stress exercise"?

The purpose of the "Beams-Bending stress exercise" is to understand and analyze the behavior of beams under different types of loading and determine the maximum stress and deflection that the beam can withstand.

What are the main factors that affect the bending stress in a beam?

The main factors that affect the bending stress in a beam are the magnitude and type of load applied, the material properties of the beam, and the geometry of the beam, such as its length, cross-sectional shape, and support conditions.

What is the difference between bending stress and shear stress in a beam?

Bending stress is a type of stress that occurs in a beam when it is subjected to a bending moment, causing it to bend or deform. Shear stress, on the other hand, is a type of stress that occurs in a beam when it is subjected to a shear force, causing it to slide or shear along its cross-section.

How is the maximum bending stress calculated in a beam?

The maximum bending stress in a beam can be calculated using the bending stress formula, which takes into account the applied load, the distance from the neutral axis, and the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-section. The maximum bending stress occurs at the location where the bending moment is the greatest.

What are some common applications of the "Beams-Bending stress exercise" in real-world engineering?

The "Beams-Bending stress exercise" is commonly used in real-world engineering applications such as designing and analyzing structures, bridges, and other load-bearing components. It is also used in the design and optimization of machine parts, such as beams in cranes, conveyor belts, and other industrial equipment.