1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind will affect the doppler effect?

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is this true?
    the observed doppler shift for sound waves depends only on the relative motion of the source and the receiver.

2. Relevant equations
    this is a concept-like question

3. The attempt at a solution
    If no, doesn't mean, wind will affect the doppler effect?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    Honestly I have no clue, but here are a few guesses... Couldn't you say that wind is just basically moving air, and air is the medium through which sound travels. So, wouldn't the wind effect it to some extent? However I don't think it would make much difference unless the wind's velocity was incredibly high. But I think it would effect it to some extent, I think they're vectorally related but I don't think it'll make much of a difference... I think it would effect it to some extent because of the doppler radar, I believe that's how wind speeds of hurricanes, etc. is measured and in order to do that I believe that wind would have to effect the speed of sound. Once again though, I could be completely wrong... (and probably am XD)
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    It depends not only on the relative speed of source to an observer(or relative speed of observer to a source), but also on the relative speed of each of the source and observer to the medium(eg air).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?