Windows 10 Benefits: 2 PCs, Upgrading from Win 7

In summary: Activation means you have to pay a fee to Microsoft in order to use the full features of the operating system.
OCR said:
Yeah, and updates are automatic... here's my last one.
This is where I'm at,
update.PNG

I have three machines all running 10 and only one has the 1607 version, its likely MS is gradually releasing the update and when its available depends on various factors. It looks like your ready for the update so give it a try and see hat happens.
OCR said:
No, you're not! no, you can't be! implying that ... I have a big ass ? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldlaugh:
This would be "fodder" for another thread. :wink:

Computer science news on Phys.org
1oldman2 said:
I have three machines all running 10 and only one has the 1607 version...
I assume then, that two of your machines have version 1511, and one machine was updated from version 1511 to version 1607...
It looks like your ready for the update so give it a try...
I think I'll wait a bit, and see if it comes through from auto updates... And, that should give me plenty of time to scrounge up a new batch of corn cobs... I really, really hate those slick catalogue pages... :oldtongue: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldeyes:

Likes 1oldman2
OCR said:
I think I'll wait a bit, and see if it comes through from auto updates...
Good plan.
OCR said:
And, that should give me plenty of time to scrounge up a new batch of corn cobs... I really, really hate those slick catalogue pages..
At the risk of using "text speak" on the forum... roflmao :woot:

Likes OCR
Anyone else get "updated" this morning?

Bystander said:
Windows 7 control panel has a link "Windows update". Windows 10 control panel has no such link. How can you determine what and when updates were made?

Three hours disconnected watching it "chase its tail in circles."

Bystander said:
Yeah, but I clicked on "check for updates" ...
It did seem to take longer then usual, but I didn't time it, and KB3185614 failed to install the first time... it succeeded the second time I tried, though.

Here's what my updates were...

UPDATE HISTORY 1.JPG

Just was informed that "Chrome" has disabled Dragon; this is becoming a serious nuisance.

Where do I find "check for updates"? I have something called "action center", where there was a message "updates installed".

mathman said:
where there was a message "updates installed".
That's all you get; blink and you'll miss even that much.

mathman said:
Where do I find "check for updates"?
Left click your Start button, find and left click Settings ... you should get this ...

upload_2016-9-14_21-21-45.png

Left click Update & security, and you should see this...

upload_2016-9-14_21-34-1.png

Left click Advanced options, then left click "View your update history"...
You should see something similar to the picture in post # 42...

You can also click the "Check for Updates" box, to see if any are available... they will start downloading, or installing immediately, if you do.

Lol, the key word here is... start.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldeyes:

Last edited:
Thank you OCR. They really know how to make things harder!

Likes OCR
mathman said:
Thank you OCR. They really know how to make things harder!
Yes, they've had decades now to practice and they are very good at that and at not listening to their users, "fixing" things that are not broken, breaking things that work, and so forth.

I do have to say I agree w/ the earlier post about device upgrades being the manufacturers problem, not MS's but part of the problem is that manufacturers create a longer and longer trail of products and it gets VERY tedious for them to have to update all those drivers just because MS insists on making changes, at least some of which are likely unnecessary. Eventually they just decide that the user base for some older products is too small to warrant their going to the trouble. It can be very frustrating.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
There may be some confusion about Windows 10 automatic updates. Windows 10 home version forces automatic updates as soon as your system detects them. while Windows 10 Pro allows you to at least delay when to install the updates.

As I posted earlier, the main advantage of Windows 10 would be directx 12, but I only have one game where that's an option, and I rarely play it anymore. I haven't found a way to prevent a Windows 10 install from re-lettering the partitions so that Win 10 OS partition ends up as C, with the original C partition become unlettered. At least it doesn't affect the lettering of partitions as seen by other OS's installed on a multi-boot system.

phinds said:
Yes, they've had decades now to practice and they are very good at that and at not listening to their users, "fixing" things that are not broken, breaking things that work, and so forth.

I do have to say I agree w/ the earlier post about device upgrades being the manufacturers problem, not MS's but part of the problem is that manufacturers create a longer and longer trail of products and it gets VERY tedious for them to have to update all those drivers just because MS insists on making changes, at least some of which are likely unnecessary. Eventually they just decide that the user base for some older products is too small to warrant their going to the trouble. It can be very frustrating.
Just letting you know this is mostly wrong. Try again from another approach, or come again at this topic with a new angle. :)

Kuzon said:
Just letting you know this is mostly wrong. Try again from another approach, or come again at this topic with a new angle. :)
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I fail to see the benefit to MS in offering a 'free' upgrade to W10. Call me suspicious, but, I suspect a hidden agenda. Hopefully, it's merely a ploy to generate an income stream from advertisers.

Likes Bystander
Chronos said:
I fail to see the benefit to MS in offering a 'free' upgrade to W10. Call me suspicious, but, I suspect a hidden agenda. Hopefully, it's merely a ploy to generate an income stream from advertisers.
I think it's the two combined. The "privacy policy" of Windows 10 seems to be "you have no privacy". MS gets a lot of info to sell to advertisers and that is the agenda, hidden or otherwise.

To be fair to Windows 10, it DOES provide an experience that is more in line with what modern non-computer types probably prefer, having learned to love it on their cell phones. Had MS not given in on Windows and made it possible to revert to much more of a Windows 7 experience, I never would have considered it.

phinds said:
I think it's the two combined. The "privacy policy" of Windows 10 seems to be "you have no privacy". MS gets a lot of info to sell to advertisers and that is the agenda, hidden or otherwise.

To be fair to Windows 10, it DOES provide an experience that is more in line with what modern non-computer types probably prefer, having learned to love it on their cell phones. Had MS not given in on Windows and made it possible to revert to much more of a Windows 7 experience, I never would have considered it.
I have the opposite reaction. I prefer the Windows 7 experience, and, to the extent that Windows 10 deviates, I find annoying These include minor changes in Windows explorer that are a nuisance.

Likes davenn
mathman said:
I have 2 pc's (desktop and notebook), both on Windows 7. What would I gain (or lose) by switching to Windows 10?

What i LOST is useability of my laptop.

It took me weeks to figure out how to unininstall Cortana. That busybody slut is the proverbial midget in a nudist colony sticking its supposedly gender neutral nose in everybody's business.

And weeks more to figure out how to get my Synaptics touchpad driver back so i can disable "tap to click" . Tap to click makes this machine unusable because keyboard is right above touchpad and static electricity makes it jump all over the place activating unknown things whilst typing.

Well, i was learning to tolerate what of Win10's silly yuppie toys i couldn't switch off ...
This morning i got a message at startup "Do not turn off your PC these updates keep you safe"
after about 15 minutes it started up
i found my password changed to microsoft account password , Cortana back in my face, all Win10's spyware settings back to default, and something called "onedrive" suggesting that all my disk contents belong on the cloud with no hint whether it's already put them there
and the other Windows programs i'd uninstalled reinstalled.

and who knows what else it did

most outrageous thing was my touchpad driver is back to microsoft mouse and it now refuses to accept the Synaptics driver
so this laptop is essentialy unuseable again because of hair trigger on touchpad

HOW DARE THOSE RODENTS SNEAK IN AT NIGHT AND DESTROY MY STUFF . Gentlemen do not write stuff on other people's computers without permission.
I was on chat with microsoft support for 3 hours as he tried to fix my driver. He gave up.
If i get an invoice it will go straight to Bill Gates via registered mail.

My advice - avoid Windows 10 like the toxic spyware virus it is.

/Rant/
If you want Apple features buy an Apple. Bill Gates is the 'Prince of Mediocrity' and he has created abject chaos. His chaos has undermined society's expectation of order . Two generations now have rewarded his half-assedness .I blame him (and Hugh Heffner) for the imminent fall of Western civilization. He's the "man of ambition" Lincoln warned us about in 1838..
Towering genius distains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored.--It sees no distinction in adding story to story, upon the monuments of fame, erected to the memory of others. It denies that it is glory enough to serve under any chief. It scorns to tread in the footsteps of any predecessor, however illustrious. It thirsts and burns for distinction; and, if possible, it will have it, whether at the expense of emancipating slaves, or enslaving freemen. Is it unreasonable then to expect, that some man possessed of the loftiest genius, coupled with ambition sufficient to push it to its utmost stretch, will at some time, spring up among us? And when such a one does, it will require the people to be united with each other, attached to the government and laws, and generally intelligent, to successfully frustrate his designs.
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/lyceum.htm
Windows10 is a sadistic Big Brother out to own you.
/endRant/

I posted similar comments on Microsoft's feedback hub.

I lack the vocabulary to express how i really feel.old jim himself

Last edited:
Likes diogenesNY, Borg, deskswirl and 4 others
And they fixed Windows home so you can't uninstall Cortana.

jim hardy said:
Have you seen this article?
How to Enable and Disable Cortana in Windows 10.
While you may not be able to remove it, you should be able to turn it off and stop it from storing information about you on the cloud.

jim hardy said:
Jim, what is the problem you are having w/ Cortana. I just got a new laptop with Windows 10, a decision I now deeply regret, but Cortana isn't one of the problems. As far as I recall, I didn't do anything to it and all it does to me is sit there with a big "ask me anything" bar taking up unneeded realestate in the task bar along the bottom of the screen. It does use up som 40+ megs of memory, but w/ 16gigs, that's trivial, and its CPU usage is zero. I do remember it asking me stuff early on but it doesn't do that any more so maybe I DID do something to it. Anyway, it doesn't get in the way at all, near as I can tell.

Hmm ... I do see that all of my Cortana settings are at "off" so maybe I did do something. In any case, if you turn off all the settings, it's pretty innocuous.

Last edited:
Thanks Borg i did switch it off . Doubtless it'll be back next update.

phinds said:
Jim, what is the problem you are having w/ Cortana.

Anything i do Cortana butts in trying to " help " and i have to interrupt my train of thought to tell it to butt out.'
When i click on a picture something butts in saying "Well lets' organize your pictures in one place " and i have to tell it ' go to hell i have my pictures where i want them ' i don't know if that's cortana or one of her concubines

so i told her to quit getting to know me and switched to OFF everything i could find related to windows 10 including all those silly apps like sports money and celebrity news
will advise if she raises her head again
start menu is totally clobbered nothing familiar remains

i'm not kidding this is outrageous how dare microsoft take over a computer that i bought
it's symptomatic of a growing disregard for the concept of private property, ie undermining western values as i said

Were i lunatic fringe i'd blame it on what this guy says

but they're not that smart.

guess I'm still mad over the wasted day.
Sorry for the tone of this it's not you guys I'm mad at , it's the microsoft rodents that chewed up my computer last night.
Who moved my cheese ? Why did they think it necessary ?

Thanks guys for the helping hands you've extended.
When i become emperor you are assured good positions in my court.

old jim

Likes deskswirl and Bystander
Have you gone to the settings specifically for Cortana? That's where I'm showing all "off" settings. This has nothing to do with that new panoply of obnoxious extras.

Yes i turned everything off
havent heard from Cortana in last couple hours maybe she's muzzled for now

it's not just cortana
start button gives a drastically unfamiliar presentation with strange stuff i never saw before or asked for
dont know where to find anything i normally use like device manager, uninstall programs, hibernate, search
why did everything change overnight without being asked to , or even granted permission ?

worst of all is my constant rage over hair trigger touchpad that randomly shoots you off to unpredictable places. It worked fine with synaptics touchpad driver but is an unguided missile under microsoft mouse driver because of that damnable tap-to-click
and it refuses to allow replace microsoft driver with synaptics
last time it asked me where to look for the driver and i was able to finagle OS into using it but this time it just says "unable to connect to synaptics driver"

Ten is not worth the aggravation. It's coming off this machine by hook or crook.

Sorry for the tantrum . I have no tolerance for vandalism and that's what this automatic update amounts to.

I understand why Hillary used her own software.

old jim

I stand by my post in another thread that I will never let Windows 10 install itself on my home computer. When I learned that they were sneaking it in through automatic updates along with actual, needed software patches, I figured that they were up to no good. I would be just as angry if I was going through this. I am so glad that I stopped it before it got into my computer - even though it continues to try. It has gotten to the point where I have turned off automatic updates completely because it keeps burning up my processor trying to find a way around my blocks (firewall, disabled services, etc.).

Likes Evo and jim hardy
@jim hardy, if 10 is causing you that much grief, why not spring for the $100 and install 7? Yeah, I realize that it sucks that MicroSh** causes you to have to do that, but still ...

Likes jim hardy
Where can i buy a 7 CD ?

I'll ask my local shop if he can do it for that.

I just fixed the touchpad driver. Downloaded it from synaptics site and ran synaptics installer program. For some reason it worked this time. This morning it wouldn't.

Synaptics understands touchpads. Their driver has controls for tapping, pressure sensitivity, "palm touch" which desensitizes the hair trigger, momentum, and edge functionality. Here's a snip of settings. Machine is not useable with tapping enabled, and it came from factory not enabled. Microsoft driver does not have a setting to disable tapping .
synapticstouchpadproperties.jpg

again. sorry for the rant , touchpad is functional now...
i'm sure i'll feel better in the morning

and thanks for the suggestions.
Go back to 7 - why didnt i think of that ?

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
hair trigger touchpad that randomly shoots you off to unpredictable places.
"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
jim hardy said:
It's coming off this machine by hook or crook.
Which number was "Kansas?" Eight?

Bystander said:
Which number was "Kansas?" Eight?

7 . After years of ME crashes I grew to like 7's reliability.

Likes CalcNerd
jim hardy said:
7 . After years of ME crashes I grew to like 7's reliability.
Years or Win ME!? wow you must be a glutton for punishment lol.
That thing lasted on my system for maybe a few days before I went back to Win98SE.

Routaran said:
Years or Win ME!? wow you must be a glutton for punishment lol.
Never in those years did a single ME update complete successfully. Probably why it lasted as long as it did.

We ran a Data General MRDOS system for somewhat more than 20 years on our plant computer. Software shouldn't break IMO.

I learned on Commodore PET and Apple II in the early 80's and previously working in IT and software i went through all versions of MS os since then. Never heard anybody happy with them except Win NT. Maybe i mostly met a one particular kind of techs people, but it seems everybody hates MS stuff. Lots of sad stories... It seems they consistently manage to get it wrong or poorly implemented whatever idea they have borrowed.

Vista was a turning point. It was installed on a new desktop PC i bought height years ago. What a mess! If MS had been accountable for the time lost worldwide switching to Vista it would have been astronomical!

Windows 8 was yet another nightmare... It came preinstalled on an HP laptop i bought three years ago. I still had no idea where my applications where... wasn't sure what my cpu was doing either... and why does this drive blinks in the middle of the night... After Vista what could be worst? Touch screen interface on a non touch screen device! Who in his right mind would release an OS that defaults to a tablet interface regardless of the computer? After some getting used to you manage to avoid it most of the time except when it kicks in unexpectedly and you struggle to close those apps... :rolleyes:

So what about Windows 10? My computer decided it was time to upgrade and i got stuck one day in front of the "Updating" progress screen for a couple hours... and there it was. The switch wasn't too painful. More crappy apps that get in the way though - like the tablet style picture viewer that kicks in now... and other touch screen annoyance I'm still discovering. Big improvement: the tablet style apps can now be closed by clicking on a X up right! To me it is still poorly implemented and uninspired software, only it seems it gets in my face more often than ever? There was a major update not long ago and I'm still trying to figure what got affected. My computers restarts whenever it feels like it now...

What's the advantage of Windows 10? First you get rid of the annoying popup offering to update to W10 for free. And at that point being as far away from Vista is by itself a good point although I'm not sure where we're headed. At least some sort of Start menu is back.

I know i should have switched to Linux long ago but i don't feel like tweaking and tuning my computer beyond a few settings, and i like to have access to newer applications whatever they may be that I'm interested in... So i keep enduring Windows. o:)

Likes jim hardy
The recent Windows versions seem to alternate good and bad. XP was good, followed by Vista - bad, followed by Windows 7 - good, followed by 8 - bad, followed by 10 -?

Likes symbolipoint