Windows 10 Benefits: 2 PCs, Upgrading from Win 7

In summary: Activation means you have to pay a fee to Microsoft in order to use the full features of the operating system.
patmurris said:
like the tablet style picture viewer that kicks in now...

if we're talking about the same user interface

Used to be i click start menu and it offers me among other things a pictures library
which when i click shows me a list of the files therein.
I've made nice subfolders in pictures library, one for pf related stuff in which i make my pf pictures with paint, i have scores of pdfs and text files there too

SINCE THE INVOLUNTARY 22 SEPT update
start menu now has no library but an entry called Photos which shows not a list but a mosaic of pictures from the old pictures library
which sounds good on the surface
but the MORONIC INTERFACE won't show anything but picture files -- no pdfs no text so how in the heck am i supposed to find my stuff ?
I have probably two hundred saved documents i cannot find anymore because they're in a library that's been assigned to a new librarian who's illiterate..

Just one of the many aggravations . The imbeciles took away search, too.
Thanks to some helpful PF'ers i was able to turn off Cortana. Cortana is so "in your face" she must be Kendra Lust's day job.and i tried to give microsoft feedback via feedback hub but it won't take it, just wags the submit bar back and forth

whatever reality microsoft lives in must be a caste system where programmers are the "Brahmins" and we users are the "Untouchables".
i lack vocabulary to describe my disgust with them .

What can one do ?
i bought a windows7 disk and will attempt to go back to it
It is my intent to bite the bullet and try Ubuntu. I fear the frustration of that learning curve.

Some entrepreneur should package a painless Linux . The time is right...

old jim

Last edited:
Likes deskswirl
Computer science news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Hear! Hear!

jim hardy said:
I think Red Hat tried for years and years to do that, totally unsuccessfully, and finally gave up and switched to servicing businesses that had big IT departments.

mathman said:
I have 2 pc's (desktop and notebook), both on Windows 7. What would I gain (or lose) by switching to Windows 10?
Borg said:
I haven't heard much good about Windows 10. It cuts you off from being able to configure certain aspects of Windows Update and I have had several people tell me about issues after they have let it install (printers not being recognized, software no longer working, etc.). I personally won't go near it.
In case of trouble with Windows Updates (more likely if still on Vista), you again gain regular Windows Updates - but for how long, no know.

Windows 10 may allow to let you plug in some usb device and it work immediately, without your needing to install drivers, as I found for an "old" graphical pen & tablet.

Bystander said:
How?
(question was about "local account")

Most easily done during Windows 10 Setup. Just do not create a microsoft account, and give no information about any microsoft account, like leave those fields empty.

jim hardy said:
And they fixed Windows home so you can't uninstall Cortana.
You might try looking in the Cortana settings to change it to be less of a nuisance. As example, when I like to search for something ON THE COMPUTER, I want to find things which are ONLY ON the computer. If I want to search for anything else, I will use Chrome or Firefox and look through a search engine online.

Open the search box (to the right of the Start button), and click the gear icon. This will show you some settings that you can change. A choice I made was to turn OFF the one that says, Search online and include web results.

mathman said:
The recent Windows versions seem to alternate good and bad. XP was good, followed by Vista - bad, followed by Windows 7 - good, followed by 8 - bad, followed by 10 -?
Some advice I have heard is to wait a while before "getting" the new Windows operating system. I too liked XP, and I also liked Windows Vista. I really find very little difficulty using it. There are a few things I do not like, but mostly Vista feels almost the same as XP. Windows 8 was supposed to force you to use a Microsoft account and 8 did not give a Start menu. Windows 10 put back Start menu and does not force you to have MS account.

The "wait a while before getting" is so that the new operating system's development is corrected with enough important Windows Updates for it, so that it be not so problematic to use.

symbolipoint said:
Some advice I have heard is to wait a while before "getting" the new Windows operating system. I too liked XP, and I also liked Windows Vista. I really find very little difficulty using it. There are a few things I do not like, but mostly Vista feels almost the same as XP. Windows 8 was supposed to force you to use a Microsoft account and 8 did not give a Start menu. Windows 10 put back Start menu and does not force you to have MS account.

The "wait a while before getting" is so that the new operating system's development is corrected with enough important Windows Updates for it, so that it be not so problematic to use.
I was lied to by tech support then, because they told me that you needed to have a microsoft account to get apps, and everything is an app now Seems Microsoft saw how much kids were paying for apps, so decided to cash in on the app craze and make everything you need an app now.

Right now I HATE WINDOWS 10.

Likes phinds and jim hardy
Evo said:
I was lied to by tech support then, because they told me that you needed to have a microsoft account to get apps, and everything is an app now Seems Microsoft saw how much kids were paying for apps, so decided to cash in on the app craze and make everything you need an app now.

Right now I HATE WINDOWS 10.
Evo, I gave a somewhat narrow-minded comment there. You can setup Windows 10 without any MS account, and have just a local account and password. About any "APPS" from Microsoft is where my understanding is not too good. I believe that if you want MS Office for Windows 10, this requires Microsoft account - not sure myself. For sure other members here know more about this and can say for sure one way or the other. Meanwhile, my plan on Windows 10 is to try some alternative to MS Office.

Likes Evo
Something I don't like is that you cannot easily or quickly go to the boot option menu on startup. You instead need to use a long complicated process to simply choose boot to HDD, CD/DVD, or USB devices. Vista and XP were easy. Just had to hit F12 when you see the brand name during startup. No longer so simple.

symbolipoint said:
Meanwhile, my plan on Windows 10 is to try some alternative to MS Office.
Bought Office while under Windows 8; since then it updated itself to "10" and has not, so far, refused to run that version of Office, just nags incessantly about "that old thing." It does not like non-MS "Apps," and does ''disable" them to varying degrees ranging from outright non-function to whatever it's done to Dragon, I've not tried starting that lately --- since "the involuntary update."

symbolipoint said:
Meanwhile, my plan on Windows 10 is to try some alternative to MS Office.
open office seems to still work on 10

symbolipoint said:
Something I don't like is that you cannot easily or quickly go to the boot option menu on startup. You instead need to use a long complicated process to simply choose boot to HDD, CD/DVD, or USB devices. Vista and XP were easy. Just had to hit F12 when you see the brand name during startup. No longer so simple.
The boot options are set in the BIOS (or UEFI as they have started to call it). Of course, you can have several versions of Windows on your hard disk, then you may have to choose between them at startup.

Tip: You can edit the start menu options (on which windows to start up) using a program called EasyBCD. It allows you to set the default version of Windows to start, the timeout and various other things.

Svein said:
The boot options are set in the BIOS (or UEFI as they have started to call it). Of course, you can have several versions of Windows on your hard disk, then you may have to choose between them at startup.

Tip: You can edit the start menu options (on which windows to start up) using a program called EasyBCD. It allows you to set the default version of Windows to start, the timeout and various other things.
Starting into the boot menu is/was easy when the Windows operating systems were XP and Vista. Just F12 on startup when the computer name brand was displaying and right away, the boot menu would appear. Not so easy now in Windows 10.

Has anybody sat down and hand written Bill Gates a letter apprising him of just how awful is ten ?
Yes-men tend to "Fawn Up Dump Down" and i think he must have surrounded himself with them. Doing that opens the management control loop allowing wild swings in output like mathman described in post #70.

Their "feedback hub" refuses me, just shakes its 'submit' button back and forth in obvious rejection. Somebody censors feedback, fawning up to whoever uses the feedback and dumping down on dissatisfied users.

I think i'll give it a try.

Likes CalcNerd
symbolipoint said:
Starting into the boot menu is/was easy when the Windows operating systems were XP and Vista. Just F12 on startup when the computer name brand was displaying and right away, the boot menu would appear. Not so easy now in Windows 10.
Going into BIOS is totally independent of Windows - the BIOS is the same whether you run Windows or Linux. Usually you get a message on the screen before the boot loader start - typically "Push DEL to enter the UEFI BIOS". I usually push DEL 5 or 6 times, since the keyboard may not be quite awake when the message is displayed for the first time.

Caveat: If you are using a laptop, going into BIOS may be dependent on another keystroke. Check out your user's manual.

Svein wrote that:
Caveat
: If you are using a laptop, going into BIOS may be dependent on another keystroke. Check out your user's manual.

Unfortunately, my laptop, although having a user manual, has NO INFORMATION about which F button to push to enter BIOS or UEFI menus; and NO INFORMATION appears on screen anywhere anytime saying which button to push for these menus or for boot menu. The manufacturer also has given very poor information about this, even after several email questions and discussions.

symbolipoint said:
Unfortunately, my laptop, although having a user manual, has NO INFORMATION about which F button to push to enter BIOS or UEFI menus; and NO INFORMATION appears on screen anywhere anytime saying which button to push for these menus or for boot menu. The manufacturer also has given very poor information about this, even after several email questions and discussions.
So, experiment! Start with F1 and go all the way to F12. Cold boot the laptop and repeatedly press the chosen function key until either Windows boots or you end up in the BIOS.

One thing to remember: For all versions of Windows I have tried, pushing F8 just before Windows boots, takes you to a more detailed boot menu where you can select various non-standard boot options.

Safe mode, F8 at boot, will not spare you from the wrath of W10. I personally consider W10 the most invasive version of windows ever invented. Even the rollback option is not your friend. The dangling tentacles remain embedded. If you did a rollback to W7 check your process bar and compare that to what was running before the rollback. Just my .02c worth.

Likes Evo and jim hardy
Svein said:
So, experiment! Start with F1 and go all the way to F12.
If this is what you want to see... pres or tap F2, Delete key might work, also.

The picture isn't really that good... I had to use a camera.

DSCF0511 (2).JPG

OCR

Posting #90 --- No. That's not it. I guess I just need to do as Svein said, and experiment with the F keys and see if any of them will give the Boot Menu at startup.

After over a year of Win10 I have to say the title of this thread may be an oxymoron. :cool:

Windows 10 is AWFUL. You can no longer tell it when you wish to download or install updates like in previous versions. It takes complete control over your computer, I mean TAKES COMPLETE CONTROL, you cannot use your computer while it is updating. And you cannot choose what files to allow to update or when, it just TAKES OVER your computer. I mean you can delay it to do the update to when you want to close down, but it's scary. I HATE WINDOWS 10!

Likes jim hardy, symbolipoint, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
Evo said:
I HATE WINDOWS 10!
I think the skunk that woke you up this night made you a bit angry.

Krylov said:
I think the skunk that woke you up this night made you a bit angry.
It did. :frown: But I hated Windows 10 before that. I don't want to go to an app store to get my basic needs and even then they are not very good. ?:) For example, they changed the calculator, you have no choice, the new one is dreadful, they could at least give you a choice, stay with the old user friendly one or change to the new one, which some people like.

Likes jim hardy and S.G. Janssens
Evo said:
It did. :frown: But I hated Windows 10 before that. I don't want to go to an app store to get my basic needs and even then they are not very good. ?:)
I don't want to be evangelical about it, but I think there are at least two (groups of) good user friendly alternatives nowadays that people here can also help you with. There is no need to keep walking with a pebble in your shoe.

Krylov said:
I don't want to be evangelical about it, but I think there are at least two (groups of) good user friendly alternatives nowadays that people here can also help you with. There is no need to keep walking with a pebble in your shoe.
That would be nice. It seems everytime I "upgrade" I lose good products and functionality. I seem to take 5 steps back for every step forward.

I finally have the smell of skunk gone and the sun will be up soon, so i should try to go to sleep.

I shall complain more later.

Bystander said:
Bought Office while under Windows 8; since then it updated itself to "10" and has not, so far, refused to run that version of Office, just nags incessantly about "that old thing."
This seems very odd to me. I have a copy of Office 2007 that I bought in about 2008 and I've been using it successfully on several computers since then, both with Windows 7 and Windows 10 and I've never gotten any complaints at all. All of the old Office stuff runs just fine. I run VISIO 2007 and all of the nomal office products (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access) from 2007 and never get any complaints. I think you must have a configuration problem.

Evo said:
It takes complete control over your computer, I mean TAKES COMPLETE CONTROL, you cannot use your computer while it is updating. And you cannot choose what files to allow to update or when, it just TAKES OVER your computer.
You should have, at least, put your post in the correct thread ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy:

"...but it's scary." [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :oldlaugh:

Carry on...

Last edited:
Likes Evo and phinds
Evo said:
Windows 10 is AWFUL. You can no longer tell it when you wish to download or install updates like in previous versions. It takes complete control over your computer, I mean TAKES COMPLETE CONTROL, you cannot use your computer while it is updating. And you cannot choose what files to allow to update or when, it just TAKES OVER your computer. I mean you can delay it to do the update to when you want to close down, but it's scary. I HATE WINDOWS 10!
Evo said:
It did. :frown: But I hated Windows 10 before that. I don't want to go to an app store to get my basic needs and even then they are not very good. ?:) For example, they changed the calculator, you have no choice, the new one is dreadful, they could at least give you a choice, stay with the old user friendly one or change to the new one, which some people like.

Windows 10 is good for some things, bad for other things. That forcing when to update regardless when/what we want is one of the bad ones. Turn off automatic updating? Turn it to find but announce without installing until user wants? No.

Microsoft have an application we can buy or download and install? Good, they have. User have a Microsoft account? App Store has the MS applications and user needs MS account to use the App Store. Give me some good non-microsoft alternatives so I don't need to use an App Store. Having a Microsoft Account should provide some advantages, maybe customer records and better service, or other kinds of advantages to being REGISTERED with Microsoft. There well may be advantages. On the other hand, maybe some people do not want the extra email account.

Likes 1oldman2 and Evo
Have I mentioned that within a few days of getting Windows 10 my left hip gave out? Yeah, try to defend that one. :))

Likes Borg, 1oldman2 and jim hardy
Evo said:
Have I mentioned that within a few days of getting Windows 10 my left hip gave out? Yeah, try to defend that one.

Repressed anger will do that to you. That's why i cuss and rant so much about Bill Gates and his slipshod ways. Get it out.

old jim

Likes Evo
Evo said:
LOLOL! IT'S...ALIVE!
:check: [COLOR=#black]... [/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

Likes Evo
I've been using Windows 10 right after it came out. I personally find it pretty good, only except that for home editions, the automatic update cannot be disabled. This has caused my long calculation (in the order of days) to stop and had to start all over again. Otherwise, I had no problems thus far.