Which FORTRAN Compilers are Compatible with Windows 7 32-bit?

In summary, Borg suggests that someone looking for a FORTRAN compiler for Windows 7 should try using Microsoft Developer Studio.
Saladsamurai
Hello all,

Although I am currently working on implementing FORTRAN on my Mac, I would also like to find a compiler that works well with Windows 7 32-bit. I initially had Win7 64-bit installed on my computer, but when I went to use my (really old) DIGITAL Visual Fortran install disk, it said it was incompatible. It had been working with Windows XP just fine. So I reinstalled Win7 32-bit. The install went smoothly so I thought I was all set. However, upon opening Visual Fortran, I get a series of error to the effect of "ThisFile not found." My friend had same problem and said the only way he was able to fix it was to run XP. I really rather not, since I already bought Win7 and I am finally getting used to it.

Are there any FORTRAN compliers out there for Win7 that are comparable to Visual Fortran? It is very similar to all of the other "Visual" products (i.e. editor, workspace, all in one spot ... kind of like Matlab).

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey Borg!

No I have not. I had thought that was only available on the professional or ultimate version. I have home, bit will look into it and post back.

Saladsamurai said:
Hey Borg!

No I have not. I had thought that was only available on the professional or ultimate version. I have home, bit will look into it and post back.

Hi Saladsamurai,

I think that you might be correct on that. I had a laptop for a short time this year with the Windows 7 home edition on it and it was lacking a lot. If I remember correctly, XP Mode is free but it only runs on Professional or better like you said. They charge around $100 to upgrade it to the Professional version so you don't have to buy a completely new CD.

MICROSOFT DEVELOPER STUDIO is compatible

fortran powerstation4

1. What is the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit operating system?

A 32-bit operating system can only handle up to 4GB of RAM, while a 64-bit operating system can handle much larger amounts of RAM. This means that a 64-bit system is better suited for running complex programs and handling large datasets, such as those used in scientific research.

2. Can I run FORTRAN on a 32-bit version of Windows 7?

Yes, FORTRAN is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. However, some older versions of FORTRAN may not be fully optimized for 64-bit systems.

3. What is the advantage of using FORTRAN on a 32-bit Windows 7 system for scientific computing?

FORTRAN is a highly efficient programming language for scientific computing, and it is optimized for handling large datasets and performing complex calculations. Using FORTRAN on a 32-bit Windows 7 system allows for faster processing and better memory management compared to other programming languages.

4. Can I use parallel processing with FORTRAN on a 32-bit Windows 7 system?

Yes, parallel processing is possible with FORTRAN on a 32-bit Windows 7 system. However, it may not be as efficient as using a 64-bit system, which has more advanced parallel processing capabilities.

5. Is FORTRAN still relevant for scientific computing on a 32-bit Windows 7 system?

Yes, FORTRAN is still widely used in scientific computing and is considered one of the most efficient languages for this purpose. It has a long history in the field and is constantly being updated and improved to meet the demands of modern research. While there are other programming languages available, FORTRAN remains a popular choice for many scientists and researchers.