Wire Length w/ 0.068 Ohms & 2.8mm Diameter: ~11.56 ft

In summary: The length of the wire is approximately ___ feet when the resistance is 0.068 ohms and the diameter is 2.8 millimeters. (Round to the nearest hundredth.)In summary, the length of a wire with a resistance of 0.068 ohms and a diameter of 2.8 millimeters has a length of approximately 1.6 feet.
unicorngirl
The electrical resistance of a wire varies directly with the length of the wire and inversely with the square of the diameter of the wire. If a wire 50 feet long and 2 millimeters in diameter has a resistance of 0.265 ohms, find the length of a wire of the same material whose resistance is 0.068 ohms and whose diameter is 2.8 millimeters. The length of the wire is approximately ___ feet when the resistance is 0.068 ohms and the diameter is 2.8 millimeters. (Round to the nearest hundredth.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, unicorngirl! :D

I have moved your thread, since this problem type is generally encountered in an algebra course, and not a calculus-based statistics course.

We are told:

The electrical resistance of a wire varies directly with the length of the wire and inversely with the square of the diameter of the wire.

So, if we define:

\(\displaystyle R\) = resistance
\(\displaystyle L\) = length
\(\displaystyle D\) = diameter

We may then take the above sentence, and express it mathematically as:

\(\displaystyle R=k\frac{L}{D^2}\tag{1}\)

where $k$ is the constant of proportionality.

To determine $k$, we may use the given information:

A wire 50 feet long and 2 millimeters in diameter has a resistance of 0.265 ohms.

Plug the values into (1)...what do you find for the magnitude and dimensions for $k$?

Okay thank you! I wasn't sure where to post it.

I got .0212 for K. I hope I did that right.

unicorngirl said:
Okay thank you! I wasn't sure where to post it.

I got .0212 for K. I hope I did that right.

Yes, the value you obtained is correct! (Yes)

We should at least be aware of the units for $k$:

\(\displaystyle k=\frac{D^2R}{L}=\frac{(2\text{ mm})^2(0.265\,\Omega)}{50\text{ ft}}=0.0212\frac{\text{mm}^2\Omega}{\text{ft}}\)

So now, using rational rather than decimal notation, we may state:

\(\displaystyle R=\frac{53D^2}{2500L}\tag{2}\)

Now, you have a question to answer:

Find the length of a wire of the same material whose resistance is 0.068 ohms and whose diameter is 2.8 millimeters.

So, solve (2) for $L$, and then plug in the given values for $R$ and $D$.

What do you find?

To find the length of the wire, we can use the formula for electrical resistance: R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

First, we can rearrange the formula to solve for L: L = RA/ρ. Then, we can plug in the given values for the wire with a resistance of 0.265 ohms and a diameter of 2 millimeters: L = (0.265 ohms)(π(2mm/2)^2)/(ρ). Since we are looking for the length of the wire in feet, we need to convert the diameter from millimeters to feet: 2mm = 0.00656 ft. Plugging in this value and the given resistivity of 0.068 ohms, we get: L = (0.265 ohms)(π(0.00656 ft/2)^2)/(0.068 ohms) = 50 ft.

Therefore, the length of the wire with a resistance of 0.068 ohms and a diameter of 2.8 millimeters is approximately 50 feet.

Related to Wire Length w/ 0.068 Ohms & 2.8mm Diameter: ~11.56 ft

1. What is the purpose of measuring wire length with 0.068 Ohms and 2.8mm diameter?

The purpose of this measurement is to determine the resistance of the wire, which is affected by both its length and diameter. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.

2. How is wire length typically measured?

Wire length is typically measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The wire is pulled taut and the length is measured from one end to the other.

3. What is the significance of 0.068 Ohms and 2.8mm diameter in this measurement?

0.068 Ohms is the resistance of the wire, which is a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through it. 2.8mm is the diameter of the wire, which affects its resistance. Together, these values provide important information about the wire's properties.

4. How does wire length affect its resistance?

Wire length and resistance have a proportional relationship - as the length of the wire increases, its resistance also increases. This is because there is more material for the electricity to flow through, resulting in a higher resistance.

5. How does wire diameter affect its resistance?

Wire diameter and resistance have an inverse relationship - as the diameter of the wire increases, its resistance decreases. This is because a larger diameter provides more space for the electricity to flow through, resulting in a lower resistance.