Wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
It's when the teeth are impacted and they need to break your jaw bone open to get the teeth out that's a killer.

For me, I had the added fun of having the root of the next tooth wrapped tightly around my impacted wisdom tooth.

I didn't want to mention those scenarios until you had finished your extraction.

Is it bad not to get your wisdom teeth removed?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I remember getting mine out, whatever drugs they gave me it was all worth it. Felt like a million bucks getting out of the chair :)
Shoot. I heard several years ago, there was a denist in the western part of Kansas that would pack you nose with cocaine to numb your teeth.:eek:

Evo
Mentor
They only need to be removed if they are causing trouble.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It all depends on how they are growing in. For most people, it seems at least one of them comes in the wrong direction, which damages the other tooth next to it, or doesn't erupt from the gum at all (impacted). If they all grow in in the right direction, no problem at all.

Glad to hear everyone pulled through with flying colors! Tacos, your experience was similar to mine in terms of recovery from all 4 out at a time (and 2 of mine were impacted, but the oral surgeon I had was excellent)...when the oral surgeon called me in the evening to check on me, he sounded pretty surprised when I told him I was enjoying a bowl of chili for dinner. I didn't even need as much as an aspirin. I kept thinking they must have given me some drug that still hadn't worn off, but nope, never really hurt. It was mostly just a dull ache like when you overwork a muscle at the gym...and I think that was more from them stretching my mouth open to get at the teeth than from the teeth themselves. But, the drugs they gave me did knock me out pretty well. Had I known the recovery was going to be so easy, I would have just told them to stick with a local anesthetic and not bother with the rest of the drugs. That's weird that the drugs didn't knock you out at all...not even a little woozy? What sort of parties are you having that drugs don't affect you? :biggrin:

Lol Well I have a history of being resistant to some drugs. Kinda weird. However I think it was more of a will power sort of thing. Physicist get a +2 to their will saves. :) 2 of mine were impacted but the pain is virtually nothing. I had previously almost lost 2 fingers in an accident with a ban saw and they were unable to numb my hand when the gave me the stiches. (only need stitches because I didnt hit the bone)

I think maybe I have mutant super powers like magneto or Dr. Xavier. I will admit that it did hurt some when I ate solid food but I refuse to let pain control me for the next few days. Especially when I have sooo much to do!

radou
Homework Helper
So, I'm going to the oral surgeon to have my second wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. If I get rid of this one without any pain, just like the last one, then I'll be one lucky bastard. :biggrin: So, please, hold your thumbs, because apparently it worked the last time. :tongue:

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Good luck radou!. Don't worry much about the pain anyway, it's just temporary.

Evo
Mentor
Is the the last one they will be pulling? Good luck, again!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Had you known it was going to go so well last time, you'd have probably had them do both in one session! Good luck!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Radou, good luck tomorrow. :smile:

{grasping thumbs} Hope all goes well.

radou
Homework Helper
Had you known it was going to go so well last time, you'd have probably had them do both in one session! Good luck!
Actually, the last time just before the operation the surgeon suggested (well, a bit jokingly, but still) pulling both of them out, but he didn't even finish his question, and I was already like "nonononononono". :biggrin:

Is the the last one they will be pulling? Good luck, again!
Yup, the last one, thank god. The upper ones aren't causing any trouble at all.

radou
Homework Helper
So, I came home an hour ago, and everything went well. It was done in 10 minutes. :cool:

turbo
Gold Member
Good news!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, that's great! I think you're just nursing these teeth for the long weekends off. :biggrin:

radou
Homework Helper
Wow, that's great! I think you're just nursing these teeth for the long weekends off. :biggrin:
Well, amof, I hate these long weekends off! Besides, I've got plenty of work to do at home right now, so the only bad thing is that I won't be able to go out tomorrow or on saturday evening. Well, I could, but I can't imagine going out without tasting beer. :rolleyes:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Glad to hear you are doing well.