Wolfram answer for cubed root of -1

• Thread starter daviddoria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, Wolfram Alpha provides a complex approximation for (-1)^(1/3) when typed into the website. However, there are multiple values for this expression, including -1, e^{i\pi / 3}, and e^{-i\pi / 3}. Mathematica always returns the principal value, which is r^{1/3}e^{i/3\theta}, and in this case, it is e^{i/3(\pi)}. To obtain all three values, one can enter the command "Solve[z^3==-1,z]" into Mathematica.
daviddoria
At http://www.wolframalpha.com/ , if you type:

1) (-1)^(1/3)

It gives a complex approximation. Isn't it exactly -1?

David

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The solution Wolfram gave you is [tex]{1 \over {2}} + i\sqrt{3}/2[/tex]. Cube it and see what you get

daviddoria said:
At http://www.wolframalpha.com/ , if you type:

1) (-1)^(1/3)

It gives a complex approximation. Isn't it exactly -1?

David

That's one answer. There is also [tex] {\rm e^i}^{{{\pi}\over{3}}} [/tex] and [tex] {\rm e^-^i}^{{{\pi}\over{3}}} [/tex]

Generally, the n'th root has n values if you include complex numbers. The solutions are on a circle in the complex plane at equal radius from the origin and separated from each other by an angle of 2pi/n.

So they are just giving the first solution? I'm confused why it doesn't say, -1, e^{i\pi / 3}, e^{-i\pi / 3} ?

Mathematica always returns the principal value for a multi-valued function. So if we define:

[tex]z^{1/3}=r^{1/3} e^{\frac{i}{3}(\theta+2n\pi)},\quad n=0,1,2[/tex]

then the principal value is:

[tex]r^{1/3}e^{i/3\theta},\quad -\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/tex]

so that Mathematica returns for:

[tex](-1)^{1/3}=e^{i/3(\pi)}[/tex]

if you wanted all three, enter:

Solve[z^3==-1,z]

What is the cubed root of -1?

The cubed root of -1 is -1, as (-1)^3 = -1.

Is the cubed root of -1 a real number?

No, the cubed root of -1 is not a real number. It is a complex number, denoted as -1 + 0i, where i is the imaginary unit.

What is the significance of the cubed root of -1?

The cubed root of -1 is significant in mathematics as it is the fundamental solution to the equation x^3 + 1 = 0. It is also used in complex numbers and has applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

Can the cubed root of -1 be simplified?

Yes, the cubed root of -1 can be simplified to the expression -1 + 0i, where i is the imaginary unit. This is the simplest form for a complex number.

How is the cubed root of -1 represented in the complex plane?

In the complex plane, the cubed root of -1 is represented as a point on the negative real axis, i.e. -1, since it has no imaginary component.