Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Ive got an assignment of word problems and cant seem to figure this one out:

A 6 Litre car radiator is 2 thirds full of water. How much of a 90% antifreeze solution (90% is alcohol by volume) must be added to it to make a 10% antifreeze solution in the radiator?

I came up with the equation: 0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but that didnt work so any help about what the way to set up the problem would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, this should probably be in the homework section, but oh well

Second, you hvae to ask yourself a different question (which you don't seem to have taken into account)

How much water is in the radiator?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    4L of water

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, this whole posting in two places isn't going to cut it, so I'm just going to stick with this thread.

If the anti-freeze solution is 90% antifreeze, then when you add a volume V of solution to a volume v of liquid, your total volume becomes V + v, and your anti-freeze portion is .9V. So how can this be applied to the problem?

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    ah

so the equation should be 4+.9V=6(.1)?

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    is that correct?

8. Oct 11, 2006 #7
    ok i tried that equation and got an answer of -3.77777 so that cant be the correct answer, so i am kind of stumped as to what to try next lol.

9. Oct 11, 2006 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to explain WHY you think that's the equation. I don't know why you think there should be a 6 at all, for example, so it's difficult to help you

10. Oct 13, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be thinking that the radiator must be filled. That's obviously incorrect- in order to fill the radiator, you would have to add 2 litres of 90% antifreeze which would NOT give you a 10% solution.

Let x be the number of litres of antifreeze added. Then you have 4+ x litres of liquid in the radiator. Since the antifreeze solution is 90% anti-freeze, you have added 0.9x litres of antifreeze. For that to be 10% of the entire amount, you must have 0.9x= 0.1(4+ x). Solve that equation for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?