Word Problem

• Thread starter DethRose
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Ive got an assignment of word problems and cant seem to figure this one out:

A 6 Litre car radiator is 2 thirds full of water. How much of a 90% antifreeze solution (90% is alcohol by volume) must be added to it to make a 10% antifreeze solution in the radiator?

I came up with the equation: 0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but that didnt work so any help about what the way to set up the problem would be great.

Answers and Replies

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
First, this should probably be in the homework section, but oh well

Second, you hvae to ask yourself a different question (which you don't seem to have taken into account)

How much water is in the radiator?

4L of water

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, this whole posting in two places isn't going to cut it, so I'm just going to stick with this thread.

If the anti-freeze solution is 90% antifreeze, then when you add a volume V of solution to a volume v of liquid, your total volume becomes V + v, and your anti-freeze portion is .9V. So how can this be applied to the problem?

ah

so the equation should be 4+.9V=6(.1)?

is that correct?

ok i tried that equation and got an answer of -3.77777 so that cant be the correct answer, so i am kind of stumped as to what to try next lol.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You have to explain WHY you think that's the equation. I don't know why you think there should be a 6 at all, for example, so it's difficult to help you

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You seem to be thinking that the radiator must be filled. That's obviously incorrect- in order to fill the radiator, you would have to add 2 litres of 90% antifreeze which would NOT give you a 10% solution.

Let x be the number of litres of antifreeze added. Then you have 4+ x litres of liquid in the radiator. Since the antifreeze solution is 90% anti-freeze, you have added 0.9x litres of antifreeze. For that to be 10% of the entire amount, you must have 0.9x= 0.1(4+ x). Solve that equation for x.