Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,784 replies · 461K views
Let's end the year on a good note:

Wordle 1,291 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ [SAUCE] 14 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [LEMUR] possible answer + suggested filter
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting thing I discovered after playing yesterdays game. Of the top 15 global seed words, only one remained as a valid solution after the game.

12/30/2024 STARE​
rankseed%notes
1ADIEU7.3vowel rich
2STARE5.9high value
solution for this game
3AUDIO4.3vowel rich
4RAISE2.8high value
5CRANE2.7high value
6SLATE2.6high value
7ARISE1.8high value
only remaining valid solution on this list
8TRAIN1.4high value
9IRATE1.3high value
10HEART0.9high value
11GREAT0.9high value
12HOUSE0.9high value
13TRACE0.8high value
14AISLE0.7high value
15LEAST0.7high value
total---35%---

Also, I don't think I've ever seen such symmetry in the scoring.
Compare percentages for 1 vs 5, and 2 vs 4 guesses.

Guess% that got it right12/30/24
1​
5.9%​
2​
24%​
3​
39%​
4​
24%​
5​
6.0%​
6​
0.57%​
7​
0.016%​
Οƒ​
1.0074​
standard deviation​
ΞΌ​
3.016​
mean​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action and edwardII
Wordle 1,291 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜ BREAK - picked today for its "uncommon" letters B and K
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜ LEMON - I use this one frequently, a nice mix of common letters
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 turns out LEMON was a very good guess today
 
Wordle 1 292 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

New Year’s and it is not NEWER over NERVE … what is wrong with Wordle!?!?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jack action and edwardII
Wordle 1,292 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© [PASTE] 48 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [LINUM] filter - 4 left: BORNE DRONE NERVE OZONE
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© [DRONE] most probable, filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [NERVE]

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 47/29 - 61.8%/38.2%
 
Wordle 1,293 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [SPEAR] 13 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [JUNTO] filter - 3 left: CHOSE LOOSE WHOSE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [CHOSE] filter - most probable

  • LOOSE wasn't a filter and is a very bland word;
  • WHOSE is a pronoun/determiner making the word bland as well;
  • CHOSE is a noun with French origins (I don't think they use simple past verbs as solutions), making it more exotic and challenging to find.

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 48/29 - 62.3%/37.7%
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,293 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [SPEAR] 13 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [JUNTO] filter - 3 left: CHOSE LOOSE WHOSE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [CHOSE] filter - most probable

  • … *snip*

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 48/29 - 62.3%/37.7%
The ispoiler tag doesn’t work on lists. At least not on Safari on mobile. Making this a huge spoiler …
 
Wordle 1.293 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I thought we'd had CHOSE before so unfortunately I initially went with WHOSE. :(

Screenshot_20250102-165415.jpg
 
Wordle 1,293 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 DRAKE
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ BELOW
🟨⬜🟩⬜🟩 STONE
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩 MOOSE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CHOSE

I don't look at the list of used words until I'm finished with the puzzle. I see my second, third, and fourth words were already used. As the game wears on, 'counting cards' becomes a bigger and bigger advantage (no sh*t, Sherlock!)
 
gmax137 said:
I don't look at the list of used words until I'm finished with the puzzle. I see my second, third, and fourth words were already used. As the game wears on, 'counting cards' becomes a bigger and bigger advantage (no sh*t, Sherlock!)
Many times you can cut down a list of remaining words from like 10 to 2 to 4 when applying the list of used words.the effect is significant
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,293 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [SPEAR] 13 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [JUNTO] filter - 3 left: CHOSE LOOSE WHOSE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [CHOSE] filter - most probable

  • LOOSE wasn't a filter and is a very bland word;
  • WHOSE is a pronoun/determiner making the word bland as well;
  • CHOSE is a noun with French origins (I don't think they use simple past verbs as solutions), making it more exotic and challenging to find.

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 48/29 - 62.3%/37.7%
You don't believe in using SPOILER warnings, huh?! :-p
 
sbrothy said:
You don't believe in using SPOILER warnings, huh?! :-p
They did, the ispoiler tags just don’t work when surrounding a list it seems. See #6105

As a result, this was spoiled for anyone opening the thread before playing.

For this reason, I try to remember to always preview when using spoilers tags.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137 and sbrothy
Orodruin said:
They did, the ispoiler tags just don’t work when surrounding a list it seems. See #6108.

As a result, this was spoiled for anyone opening the thread before playing.

Aah. Makes more sense now then. :smile:
 
Wordle 1 294 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


Orodruin said:
Many times you can cut down a list of remaining words from like 10 to 2 to 4 when applying the list of used words.the effect is significant
Today cut it down from 8 to 2 …