Solving the Mystery of the Skier and the Snowball

• Thread starter eil2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the question is asking at what angle a skier on a frictionless spherical snowball will lose contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent. The answer is 48.2 degrees, which can be found by using the equation K_1 + U_1 = K_2 + U_2 and calculating the second height. The skier has both potential and kinetic energy at the point of losing contact, which is equal to the potential energy at the top of the snowball. The skier's initial velocity is considered small and the height at which they leave the snowball can be found using angles and sines/cosines.
eil2001
Ok, here's the question:

A skier starts at the top of a very large frictionless spherical snowball, with a very small initial velocity, and skis straight down the side. At what point does she lose contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent? That is, at the instant when she loses contact with the snowball, what angle does a radial line from the center of the snowball to the skier make with the vertical?

So, I want to use K_1 + U_1 = K_2 + U_2, but I am confused b/c there are no numbers. The answer is 48.2 degrees, but I don't see how they get this.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
when she is about to lose contact, the Normal force is zero. At the top of the cliff the only type of energy is Pot. grav. (mgh), but when she is about to lose contact she has both potential and kinetic energy which their sum is equal to the first mgh.
You should find the angle by computing the second height.

At the top of the snowball, isn't there kinetic energy, too, b/c the problem says that the skier starts with a small initial velocity? Or, is that "small" supposed to mean negligible? Also, how do I find the height at which the skier leaves the snowball? I feel like it's something w/angles and sines/cosines, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Related to Solving the Mystery of the Skier and the Snowball

1. What is the mystery of the skier and the snowball?

The mystery is an unsolved case where a skier was found dead with a snowball in their hand, but there were no footprints or other evidence of another person at the scene. It is unknown how the skier obtained the snowball or who may have been involved in their death.

2. What are the possible explanations for the skier's death?

Some possible explanations include: the skier was hit by a stray snowball thrown by another person, the skier was attacked by an animal, the skier accidentally fell and hit their head on a snowball, or the skier was involved in foul play.

3. How can scientists solve this mystery?

Scientists can use forensic evidence and investigative techniques to gather clues and piece together what may have happened to the skier. This can include analyzing the snowball for DNA, examining the scene for any other evidence, and interviewing witnesses or suspects.

4. What role does science play in solving this mystery?

Science plays a crucial role in solving this mystery by providing a systematic and evidence-based approach to understanding what happened to the skier. Through scientific methods and analysis, scientists can uncover important information and help solve the case.

5. Has this mystery ever been solved?

No, as of now, the mystery of the skier and the snowball remains unsolved. However, scientists and investigators are constantly working to gather more evidence and information in hopes of solving the case and bringing closure to the skier's loved ones.