1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy Related Problem

1. Nov 23, 2003 #1
    Okay, I have this problem that I've been having trouble with. It seems like a simple problem, but I keep getting the wrong answer and I don't know where I'm making the error. Maybe one of you can help me target the problem. =) The problem is as follows:
    Well, firstly I converted the 50.0 hp into watts by multiplying it by 746 (because one hp equals 746 watts). I got 37300 watts. Then using the formula [tex]P=\frac{W}{\Delta t}}[/tex], I plug in 6.40 x 105 J as P(ower) and 6.40 x 105 as W(ork). When I calculated it, I get .058 seconds for t. However, the correct answer is 17.2 seconds. Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong and waht I need to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You must be plugging things in wrong. Try again (you have everything right):

ΔT = W/P

4. Nov 23, 2003 #3
    Ohhh... haha. Whoops, I was just making a calculation error. Thanks! Okay I get it. I have another question though. In the following problem:
    Okay, for this problem, I'm not quite sure how to approach it. Initally, I thought I had to simply use the formula [tex]P=\frac{Fd}{\Delta t}}[/tex] to solve it by pluggin in 4.0 x 103 N as F and 3.00 m as d, and jsut put in one second for t. However, when I calculated it, it didn't come out to the correct solution so I'm assuming that this approach was not right. How then, would I solve this problem?

5. Nov 23, 2003 #4

AD

You know that P = F(Δd/Δt)

Δd/Δt is equal to velocity, so P can also be expressed

P = Fv

The force the lift motor has to overcome when the lift is fully loaded is

F = (1000 + 800)g + 4000

So

P = (1800g + 4000)v

You didn't put the value of v in your question, but you mentioned that the lift moves 3m in one second, so

P = 3(1800g + 4000)

6. Nov 23, 2003 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You forgot that the motor has to work against gravity, not just the friction.

7. Nov 23, 2003 #6
    What do you mean when you refer to 'g'?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  8. Nov 23, 2003 #7

AD

The constant g is the acceleration due to gravity.

9. Nov 23, 2003 #8
    So then would I have to multiply 1800 by 9.81 m/s2?

10. Nov 24, 2003 #9

AD

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?