Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Work and Energy Related Problem

1. Nov 23, 2003 #1
    Okay, I have this problem that I've been having trouble with. It seems like a simple problem, but I keep getting the wrong answer and I don't know where I'm making the error. Maybe one of you can help me target the problem. =) The problem is as follows:
    Well, firstly I converted the 50.0 hp into watts by multiplying it by 746 (because one hp equals 746 watts). I got 37300 watts. Then using the formula [tex]P=\frac{W}{\Delta t}}[/tex], I plug in 6.40 x 105 J as P(ower) and 6.40 x 105 as W(ork). When I calculated it, I get .058 seconds for t. However, the correct answer is 17.2 seconds. Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong and waht I need to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You must be plugging things in wrong. Try again (you have everything right):

ΔT = W/P

4. Nov 23, 2003 #3
    Ohhh... haha. Whoops, I was just making a calculation error. Thanks! Okay I get it. I have another question though. In the following problem:
    Okay, for this problem, I'm not quite sure how to approach it. Initally, I thought I had to simply use the formula [tex]P=\frac{Fd}{\Delta t}}[/tex] to solve it by pluggin in 4.0 x 103 N as F and 3.00 m as d, and jsut put in one second for t. However, when I calculated it, it didn't come out to the correct solution so I'm assuming that this approach was not right. How then, would I solve this problem?

5. Nov 23, 2003 #4

AD

You know that P = F(Δd/Δt)

Δd/Δt is equal to velocity, so P can also be expressed

P = Fv

The force the lift motor has to overcome when the lift is fully loaded is

F = (1000 + 800)g + 4000

So

P = (1800g + 4000)v

You didn't put the value of v in your question, but you mentioned that the lift moves 3m in one second, so

P = 3(1800g + 4000)

6. Nov 23, 2003 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You forgot that the motor has to work against gravity, not just the friction.

7. Nov 23, 2003 #6
    What do you mean when you refer to 'g'?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  8. Nov 23, 2003 #7

AD

The constant g is the acceleration due to gravity.

9. Nov 23, 2003 #8
    So then would I have to multiply 1800 by 9.81 m/s2?

10. Nov 24, 2003 #9

AD

Yes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook