Work and force problem (piano moving on an incline)

In summary, a 280-kg piano slides 4.3 m down a 30 degree incline with an effective coefficient of kinetic friction of .400. The man pushing back on the piano exerts a force of -421.5 N, resulting in a work done of -1812.45 J. Further calculations are needed to determine the work done by the friction force, force of gravity, and the net work done on the piano.
balletgirl

Homework Statement

A 280-kg piano slides 4.3 m down a 30 degree incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction is .400. Calculate:

(a) the force exerted by the man,
(b) the work done by the man on the piano,
(c) the work done by the friction force,
(d) the work done by the force of gravity, and
(e) the net work done on the piano.

Homework Equations

W=Fd... ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it's a long problem... I don't know how to find the work done by each force.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to find the components of the gravitational force that are along the ramp and normal to the ramp. Then you can find the force of friction.
The work done by any force is W = F*d.

a) Do I use mu*mg*cos(angle) - mg*sin(angle) ...?

If so, I did .40(280)(9.8)cos(30) - 280(9.8)sin(30) = -421.5 N
(Isn't it negative because it's going down?)

b) For this answer I did -421.5*4.3 and got -1812.45 J

I'm still trying to figure out the rest...

Looks okay, though I would have reversed the signs for the (a) calculation - the friction term reduces the force. But I agree with the minus sign in (b) since the piano is pushing on the man.

1. What is a work and force problem?

A work and force problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the amount of work done by a force on an object. It involves using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How is work and force related to moving a piano on an incline?

In the context of moving a piano on an incline, work and force are related because both are involved in determining the amount of effort required to move the piano. The force of gravity and the force applied by the movers are both factors in determining the work done on the piano.

3. What are the key factors to consider in a work and force problem for moving a piano on an incline?

The key factors to consider in a work and force problem for moving a piano on an incline include the mass of the piano, the angle of the incline, the force applied by the movers, and the distance the piano needs to be moved.

4. How do you calculate the work done on a piano that is being moved on an incline?

To calculate the work done on a piano being moved on an incline, you need to use the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is the net force acting on the piano, and d is the distance the piano is moved. The net force can be calculated by finding the horizontal and vertical components of the force applied by the movers and using vector addition to find the resultant force.

5. What are some real-life applications of work and force problems in piano moving?

Work and force problems in piano moving have real-life applications in the moving and transportation industry. Movers can use these calculations to determine the best and most efficient way to move a piano, taking into account factors such as the incline of stairs or ramps, the weight of the piano, and the force required to move it. These calculations can also be used to ensure the safety of the movers and the piano during the moving process.