Work done by force on moving particle

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work done by a force acting on a particle, with given coordinates and values for the force. The person suggests using path integration and clarifies that only the integral over the x variable will be affected by the force's x component.
PinkDaisy
My problem is:

A particle is acted on by a force, F=-(5yx^2)i + (4y^3)j
Calculate the work done by F as the particle moves from point (-2,4) to point (5,10)? F is in Newtons and all x's and y's are in meters.

I think that I need to integrate each piece using the points as limits, but I'm not sure what I do with -(5yx^2) Do I only need to integrate with respect to x since it is with the "i" portion of the F?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral you evaluate when calculating work is called a "Path Integral". From the definition of work,

[tex]W = \int_a^b \vec F \cdot d\vec r = \int_a^b F_x dx + F_y dy + F_z dz[/tex]

Thus you have three integrals: one over each coordinate.

So you are right...the integral over [tex]F_x[/tex] only affects the x variable.

Thanks so much!

FAQ: Work done by force on moving particle

What is work done by force on a moving particle?

Work done by force on a moving particle refers to the energy transferred to the particle as a result of the force acting on it. It is a measure of the change in the particle's kinetic energy.

How is work done by force calculated?

The work done by force on a moving particle can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the particle in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by force?

The unit of measurement for work done by force is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy.

Can the work done by force be negative?

Yes, the work done by force can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement of the particle. This means that the force is actually removing energy from the particle.

How does work done by force relate to power?

Work done by force and power are related in that power is the rate at which work is done. This means that if the same amount of work is done by a force in a shorter amount of time, the power is greater.