1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by normal foce

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I have become very confused after i tried to solve this question.
    A rope pulls a 2 kg object straight up, accelerating it from rest at 2.2 m/s^2 for 3 seconds.
    they want the work done by each force acting on it.
    Ok i found the displacement as 9.9 m up. Then i found out that the applied force does 43.56 J and that Fn does 150.678 J and gravity does 194.238 J .

Then they ask for the total mechanical work done. I just added the works and got -.678 . Then they ask for the net force which is 4.4 N up and work done by the net force which is 43.56 J.

I am confused about finding the net work when fg,fn, fapp are involved what am doing wrong. Also when solving other questions do i include fn and fg when the displacement is vertical?

Please help and thank you. i would add more detail but i got no time to study.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    E initial = E final

0 = - mg*X + F*X + mV^2/2

You can figure out all three.

?

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    I am sorry but i don't understand your formula. yes, i know that initial potential and kinetic energy equal the final but the next line i don't understand what it is nor how it can help.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is Fn, a normal force? Are you sure there is a normal force acting on the object while it is accelerating upward?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook