Work done moving an object in a field.

In summary, the problem is to find the work done in moving an object in the field F = (2xy+z^3)i + x^2j + 3xz^2k from (1,-2,1) to (3,1,4). The scalar potential p is found to be x^2y+xz^3, leading to the calculation of ((9)(1)+(3)(64)) - ((1)(-2)+(1)(1)) = 202 as the final answer. Some equations may be helpful when presenting the solution.
KStolen

Homework Statement

Find the work done in moving an object in the field
F = (2xy+z^3)i + x^2j + 3xz^2k
from (1,-2,1) to (3,1,4)

Homework Equations

I have found p, the scalar potential to be x^2y+xz^3 , but don't know how to proceed from here. Do I just plug in the values so that I get ((9)(1)+(3)(64)) - ((1)(-2)+(1)(1)) = 202?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
KStolen said:

Homework Statement

Find the work done in moving an object in the field
F = (2xy+z^3)i + x^2j + 3xz^2k
from (1,-2,1) to (3,1,4)

Homework Equations

I have found p, the scalar potential to be x^2y+xz^3 , but don't know how to proceed from here. Do I just plug in the values so that I get ((9)(1)+(3)(64)) - ((1)(-2)+(1)(1)) = 202?

The Attempt at a Solution

Method looks fine although I would write some equations when writing it up.

1. What is work done moving an object in a field?

Work done moving an object in a field refers to the amount of energy required to move an object from one point to another within a given field. This can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it is moved.

2. What is a field in the context of work done moving an object?

In physics, a field is a region in which a force can be exerted on an object without direct contact. Examples include gravitational, electric, and magnetic fields. These fields can affect the motion of an object and require work to be done to move the object within them.

3. How is work done calculated in the context of moving an object in a field?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force. The formula is expressed as W = F x d, where W is work done, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This is equivalent to one newton-meter (N·m) and represents the amount of energy transferred when a force of one newton is applied to an object and moves it a distance of one meter in the direction of the force.

5. How does the direction of the force affect the work done moving an object in a field?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the work done in the sense that work is only considered to be done when the force is applied in the same direction as the displacement of the object. If the force and displacement are perpendicular, no work is done. If the force is opposite to the displacement, negative work is done, which means energy is taken away from the object.