Calculating Particle Speed on a Moving Sphere: Integration Method

In summary, the speed of a particle released from the top of a smooth sphere of radius R as the sphere starts accelerating with constant acceleration a is given by \sqrt{2R(a*sin theta + g - g*cos theta)}, where theta is the angle it makes with the upward vertical. This can be obtained by considering the horizontal pseudo force, normal reaction, and weight of the particle and using the Conservation of Energy principle.
troy611
A smooth sphere of radius R is made to translate in a straight line with a constant acceleration a particle is released from the top of sphere as soon as the sphere starts accelerating (i.e. at time = 0). Find the speed of the particle with respect to the sphere as a function of angle it makes with the upward vertical (take it as [tex]\theta[/tex])

hint: integration is to be used

i am just missing one term in the answer, i have taken, the horizontal pseudo force, Normal reaction, and weight of particle amd then used COE.

ps: answer is [tex]\sqrt{2R(a*sin theta + g - g*cos theta)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi troy611! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what's missing, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

FAQ: Calculating Particle Speed on a Moving Sphere: Integration Method

What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It can exist in many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy.

What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. They both have the same units of measurement (joules).

How is power different from work and energy?

Power differs from work and energy as it measures the rate of energy transfer, while work and energy measure the amount of energy transferred. Power also takes into account the time it takes to do the work or transfer the energy.