How Do You Calculate Energy and Speed on a Roller Coaster?

In summary, Ima Scaarred (m=56.2 kg) has a kinetic energy of 4.60 x 103 J and a potential energy of 1.07 x 104 J at the top of a 19.5-m high roller coaster loop. Assuming negligible losses of energy due to friction and air resistance, her total mechanical energy at the bottom of the loop is 1.53
alijan kk

Homework Statement

Ima Scaarred (m=56.2 kg) is traveling at a speed of 12.8 m/s at the top of a 19.5-m high roller coaster loop.

a. Determine Ima's kinetic energy at the top of the loop.
b. Determine Ima's potential energy at the top of the loop.
c. Assuming negligible losses of energy due to friction and air resistance, determine Ima's total mechanical energy at the bottom of the loop (h=0 m).
d. Determine Ima's speed at the bottom of the loop.[/B]

Homework Equations

PE=MGH
KE=0.5*MV^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to find b

pe=0.5*56.2*12.8

=14,027.52help me understanding the question.

the answers are.

• Show Answer
a. 4.60 x 103 J
b. 1.07 x 104 J
c. 1.53 x 104 J
d. 23.4 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:
i tried to find b
pe=0.5*56.2*12.8

=14,027.52
Looks like you've mixed your two relevant equations together.

your relevant equation says pe = mgh, but that's not what you've done, what is m? g? h?
First identify all your variables so you know where they'll go in your equations.

Also, your arithmetic is wrong, 0.5*56.2*12.8 does not equal 14,027.52
Show your units with your working, and be specific on exactly where you're stuck/ what you don't understand, it makes it easier to help.

Likes alijan kk
billy_joule said:
Looks like you've mixed your two relevant equations together.

your relevant equation says pe = mgh, but that's not what you've done, what is m? g? h?
First identify all your variables so you know where they'll go in your equations.

Also, your arithmetic is wrong, 0.5*56.2*12.8 does not equal 14,027.52
Show your units with your working, and be specific on exactly where you're stuck/ what you don't understand, it makes it easier to help.
PE= mass*gravity*height

i want to imagine the picture of that question so that it would be easy for me , i want to understand the question

sorry the answer of pe=0.5*56.2*12.8
is 359.68
but it is also wrong...

is there any role of friction?
or use of this formula
Pi+Ki=Pf+Pi

All the ANswers i have got! thank you bilijoule i was making big mistake,,,,

alijan kk said:
All the ANswers i have got! thank you bilijoule i was making big mistake,,,,

Great, good work.

billy_joule said:
Great, good work.
thankyou\
but i m still trying to find the speed at the bottom of the loop .

KE=KE
4600=0.5*56.2*v^2
4600=28.1*v^2
4600/28.1=v^2
v^2=163.7
square root both sides
v=12.8

so this way i got the initial velocity but how to get the speed at the bottom?

When Ima gets to the bottom, the potential energy she had at the top has been converted to kinetic energy via Conservation of Energy.
This should be somewhat intuitive, ever ridden your bike down a hill? You don't even need to pedal to gain kinetic energy..it's coming from somewhere else..
The higher the hill the faster you'll be going at the bottom...
The relevant equation:
EKi + EPi = EKf + EPf

(which is what I think your earlier equation in post #4 was supposed to be?
Pi+Ki=Pf+Pi
)

Solving for EKf is the answer to c), then solving EKf = 1/2 mv2 for v will give the answer to d)

v=23 m/s ! thanks for the equation .
KEf=1/2mv^

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. It is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are directly related. Work is the transfer of energy, so when work is done on an object, its energy is changed. Work can either increase or decrease an object's energy, depending on the direction of the force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The standard unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). It is defined as the work done when a force of one newton is applied to an object and moves it a distance of one meter in the direction of the force.

4. How is power different from work?

Power is the rate at which work is done. It is the amount of work done per unit of time. In other words, power measures how quickly work is being done, while work measures the total amount of energy transferred.

5. Can you give an example of how work, energy, and power are related?

One example is a person lifting a book off the ground and placing it on a shelf. Work is done on the book because a force is applied to lift it against the force of gravity. This work increases the book's potential energy. Power is also involved, as the person's muscles are doing work at a certain rate to lift the book. Once the book is on the shelf, it has gained potential energy and is at a higher energy state than before.