1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Energy Derivation question: F(x(t)) = F(t) ?

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    Does this derivation:

work-energy_zpsflypwpst.png

...imply:

work-energy2_zpszo01eiy4.png

My best guess is that x(t) ≠ t
    So I would also guess that F(x(t)) ≠ F(t)

But then how can this derivation be explained?

How can F(x(t)) = m(a(t))? What does that actually mean?
    How come it's not: F(x(t)) = m(a(x(t))) ? Why/How does the x just cancel out?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2
    Would this question be better suited for the math section? If so, please feel free to transfer it. It seems to be bordering on a math related question within a physics derivation and I don't think I'll fully understand the derivation without understanding how the math is being work at this part.

Again, thanks.

4. Nov 28, 2015 #3
    x(t) implies x is a function of t, ie for a particular t there is a particular x.
    F(x) implies that F is a function of x
    F(x(t)) implies ... You should be able to figure that out.
    Same for a(t).

Hmmmm

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4
    The following might describe more precisely where I'm experiencing some uncertainty,

Suppose I start with some object of 5kg moving in some way described by x(t) = t^4, then:

7f70758a-b644-4a88-b672-4c6fce7a6af0_zpslqatzu2p.jpg

Why do I arrive at 60t^2 for f(t)
    and arrive at 60t^6 for f(x(t))?

It seems like f(t) = 60(t)^2
    while f(t(x)) = f(t^4) = 60(t^4)^2 = 60t^6

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. Nov 29, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

You need to fix up your formula. If x is a distance and t is time you cannot have x=t4 (the dimensions do not match). You could get away with x = Ct4, but then the dimension of C would be m/s4.

As to the rest of your questions: Of course you cannot have F(t) = F(x(t)). The dimensions do not match! If you have a well-behaved function, you can possibly invert the x(t) to t = g(x), and then you will have F(t) = F(g(x)).

7. Nov 29, 2015 #6
    Yes, x is a distance and t is time, so x≠t and x≠ [itex]t^{4}[/itex] , however, I am convinced I included parenthesis everywhere to indicate that x is a function of t. That is, x(t) = t and x(t) = [itex]t^{4}[/itex]. As a function, the dimensions don't have to match, right? That is, displacement is a function of time, then x(t) = t can be written. I do not see where I may have written x = t or x = [itex]t^{4}[/itex]

Okay, and if I cannot have F(t) = F(x(t)), then why does the formula in the original post say: F(x(t)) = m(a(t)) = m v'(t) ? <---this is what is written in my book.

So I'm ending up at a contradiction. On one hand, F(x(t)) ≠ F(t), but then my book states F(x(t)) = m(a(t)). Can this be?

Thank you

8. Nov 29, 2015 #7

Nathanael

Homework Helper

When you're speaking of an equation which is physically meaningful, the dimensions must match. With that said, there is no need to worry about dimensions when contriving a particular example like this, because you can assume a particular unit system which leaves the dimensional-constant with unit value.
    You could say F(x(t))=F'(t) where F' is some other function (not the same as F unless x=t).
    That's what I see it as saying: some function F of x of t is equal to (m times) some other function a(t).

It's really not an interesting statement (and isn't relevant to the Work-KE theorem).

It also doesn't imply a(x(t))=a(t) (which is the source of your contradiction).

P.S. (t4)2=t8 (not t6)

9. Nov 29, 2015 #8

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

In your example, you went wrong in the step where you wrote $$F(x(t)) = m(a(x(t))) = 60[x(t)^2]^2$$ The first equality is correct, the second is not. The problem is that ##a(t)## and ##a(x)## are different functions: the first is the formula you use to calculate the acceleration at a given time and the second is the formula you use to calculate the acceleration when the object is at a given position and is not equal to ##12t^2##. Whenever you see ##a(t)## you are allowed to substitute ##12t^2##, but you cannot make the same substitution when you see ##a(x)##.

The same is true of ##x##, ##v##, and ##F##; for example ##x(t)=t^4## but ##x(x)=x##.

If you work through your example again but use different names (for example ##F_x(x)## and ##F_t(t)## for the force) for the functions of time and of position it will all come out consistently.

10. Nov 29, 2015 #9

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many physics authors and teachers use a convention where, for example, ##F(x)## denotes a force as a function of distance, and ##F(t)## denotes the same force as a function of time. Strictly speaking, from a pure mathematician's point of view, this is nonsense and you should really use different names for the two functions, e.g. ##F_1(x)## to denote force as a function of distance, and ##F_2(t)## to denote force as a function of time. With this notation we have$$
    F_2(t) = F_1(x(t))
    $$

11. Nov 30, 2015 #10
    Thank you,

If I were to look at each function graphically, I have something like this:

f8114d58-f86d-4867-a951-7e260ee09e39_zpsvyhofmjx.jpg

However, I'm having some difficulty in figuring out how to express the force as a function of distance.

From starting with a displacement as a function of time: x(t) = [itex] t^{4} [/itex] and arriving at a force with respect to time: f(t) = [itex]60t^{2}[/itex]

How can I take it one step further and find a function of force with respect to displacement? F(x) or F(x(t)) ?

My first guess is something like this:

1d9bd928-e053-40e4-a07e-f3d5b0c46cae_zpsiq8gqcmg.jpg

12. Dec 1, 2015 #11

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, first we introduce a dimension-correcting factor B (with dimension m/s4), so that [itex] x(t)=Bt^{4}[/itex]. For x≥0, this is one-to-one, so [itex]t=(\frac{x}{B})^{-4} [/itex].

13. Dec 3, 2015 #12
    Thank you Svein. I've continued to look into this and have made good progress. I must go on a tangent and ask a new question regarding momentum before coming back to the topic of kinetic energy. To be continued...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook