How Does the Work-Energy Theorem Apply to Calculating Force on a Sled?

In summary, the problem involves a sled with a mass of 8.00 kg moving on a frictionless horizontal surface. After traveling 2.5m, its speed increases from 4.00 m/s to 6.00 m/s. Using the work energy relation, a force of -32N is calculated assuming the force is constant and acting in the direction of the sled's motion. The calculation is redone and confirms the result. The value of theta is not 180, as that would result in the force acting in the opposite direction of motion.
Jim4592
I don't really have any clue on this problem...

Homework Statement

A sled with mass 8.00 kg moves in a straight line on a frictionless horizontal surface. At one point in its path, its speed is 4.00 m/s. after it has traveled 2.5m beyond this point its speed is 6.00 m/s. Use the work energy relation to find the force acting on the sled, assuming that this force is constant and that it acts in the direction of the sleds motion.

Homework Equations

W = ∆K

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing i can think of (which isn't the work energy theorem) is Work = 1/2 MVf2-1/2MVi2

W= 1/2*(8kg)*(6m/s)2-1/2(8kg)*(4m/s)^2
W = 80 J

then use Work = FS Cos(Θ)

80J = F*(2.5m)*Cos(180)
-32N = F

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim4592 said:
The only thing i can think of (which isn't the work energy theorem) is Work = 1/2 MVf2-1/2MVi2
Why do you think this isn't the work energy theorem? What do you think is the work energy theorem?

Jim4592 said:
Work = 1/2 MVf2-1/2MVi2
W = 80 J
Redo your calculation here.

Jim4592 said:
8.00 kg
moves in a straight line on a ... horizontal surface
At one point ... its speed is 4.00 m/s
2.5m beyond this point its speed is 6.00 m/s
find the force acting on the sled
assuming ... this force is constant and that it acts in the direction of the sleds motion

Work = FS Cos(Θ)

80J = F*(2.5m)*Cos(180)
-32N = F
Why is Θ=180?

i'm still getting 80 J for that one calculation, i called theta 180 because it was moving in a straight line.

Jim4592 said:
i'm still getting 80 J for that one calculation,
Oh yeah, that's right. It never hurts to redo a simple calc, though, right? Sorry.

Jim4592 said:
i called theta 180 because it was moving in a straight line.
The value of theta has nothing to do with a straight line, it has to do with the angle between the directions of the force and direction traveled. theta is not 180. If theta were 180, then the force would be in the opposite direction from the motion, and so the object would slow down.

FAQ: How Does the Work-Energy Theorem Apply to Calculating Force on a Sled?

1. What is the Work Energy Theorem of a sled?

The Work Energy Theorem of a sled is a principle in physics that states that the work done on a sled is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on the sled will result in a change in its speed.

2. How is the Work Energy Theorem applied to a sled?

To apply the Work Energy Theorem to a sled, you must calculate the work done on the sled by all external forces and compare it to the change in the sled's kinetic energy. If the two are equal, then the Work Energy Theorem is satisfied.

3. What types of energy are involved in the Work Energy Theorem of a sled?

The Work Energy Theorem of a sled involves both kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy of position. As the sled moves, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

4. Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to a sled on a frictionless surface?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to a sled on a frictionless surface. In this case, the only external force acting on the sled is the force of gravity, and the work done by this force will result in a change in the sled's kinetic energy.

5. How is the Work Energy Theorem of a sled related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Work Energy Theorem of a sled is related to Newton's Laws of Motion in that it is based on the concept of force and its effect on the motion of an object. Specifically, it is related to the second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

Back