Work Energy Theorem Question, Relatively Easy

In summary: For your convenience, I have corrected the summary below:In summary, a massless spring of length 0.320 m is compressed to 74.0% of its relaxed length and a mass of 0.230 kg is placed on top and released from rest. The mass travels vertically and takes 1.10 s to reach the top of its trajectory. Using g = 9.81 m/s2 and assuming negligible time for the spring to reach full extension, the spring constant is calculated to be 39.39 N/m by equating the initial elastic potential energy stored in the spring to the final gravitational potential energy of the mass.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

The left side of the figure shows a light (`massless') spring of length 0.320 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 74.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.230 kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right).

The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.10 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

Homework Equations

W= Ek
W= Eg
w = F d
Eg= mgh
Ek = 1/2mv^2

W=KEfinal-KEinitial
Elastic Spring Pot (Us)=-1/2k(displacement)^2
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

first I found the displacement of the spring to be .2368, and that is my displacement squared for my Us.
Then I found the velocity (vi) to be 10.78 m/s (vi=9.8*1.10seconds)
Then i found the distance height (vi/2*t)= 5.929 m
Then I used the work energy theorem, I set the Us equation=1/2mv^2+mgh and solved for the spring constant k to get 39.39 N/m. But it is wrong, I have tried other ways but got unusually large numbers for my answer, which did not make sense. Help please? I have a test in a few hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to go through the kinetic energy calculation. Just say that the initial elastic potential energy stored in the spring is equal to the final gravitational potential energy of the mass. That might make your calculation more transparent to trouble shoot.

kuruman is correct. Also, your distance appears to be incorrect - what you used is the equation for average displacement.

What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How is the Work Energy Theorem calculated?

The Work Energy Theorem can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is a measure of the amount of force required to move an object over a certain distance, while energy is the ability of an object to do work.

Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy.

What is the significance of the Work Energy Theorem in real-world applications?

The Work Energy Theorem is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and is used in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and physics to analyze and predict the motion of objects.