1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Energy Theorem Question

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    This is the problem:
    You throw a 20-N rock vertically into the air from ground level. You observe that when it is 15.0 m above the ground, it is traveling at 25.0 m/s upward. Use the work-energy theorem to find a) its speed just as it left the ground; b) its maximum height.

I drew a free-body diagram with an unknown force F pointing upwards, and the mg = 20 N pointing down. I also found the mass of the object by using 20 N = mg to get m = 2.04 kg.

I know that the work theorem is W(total) = K2 - K1, with K = (1/2)m(v)^2. I figured out K2 with the given 25.0 m/s and the 2.04 kg, which came out to be 637.5 J. Because I'm trying to find the initial speed, K1 looked like this = (1/2)(2.04 kg)(v1)^2. I tried to find out what W(total) was to complete this problem, but then became stuck because, in W = Fs, I didn't know what F was. I couldn't calculate F = ma in the vertical direction because I didn't have an acceleration. How do I go about figuring out W(total) from this information?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2
    Why there should be an unknown force F pointing upwards as the rock is rising?

4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
    I was thinking there would be a force upwards because it was thrown up into the air.

Is there another way I should be looking at this?

5. Oct 14, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As soon as the rock leaves contact with your hand, the only force on it is gravity (ignoring air resistance, of course).

6. Oct 14, 2006 #5
    I see...

So then W(total) = (20 N) * (15 m)? Then W(total) would be 300 J. Then I would be able to put that into W(tot) = K2 - K1, find what K1 is and then equate that to (1/2)m*(v1)^2 to find the initial speed.

Is that right?

7. Oct 14, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but realize that the work done on the rock is negative since the force (down) and the displacement (up) are in opposite directions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?