1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Energy Theorem

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    I'm having trouble with where to begin with this question, if anyone has guidance I'd be grateful.

A space ship of mass 5.00 x 10^4 kg is travelling at a speed 1.15 x 10^4m/s in outer space. Except for the force generated by its own engine, no other force acts on the ship. As the engine exerts a constant force of 4.00 x 10^5 N, the ship moves a distance of 2.50 x 10^6 m in the direction of the force of the engine.
    a) Determine the final speed of the ship using the work-energy Theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The work is just a name people gave to "change in kinetic energy". If you find the work "done by the engine" in the ship going a distance of 2.50 x 10^6 m, then you've found the change in kinectic energy of the ship. And work in one dimension is simply

[tex]W =Fd[/itex]

where d is the distance traveled and F the force applied during this travel.

4. Sep 8, 2005 #3
    Thanks, so If I solve for W, I get 1.00 x 10^12, then I make this answer equal to 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv(o)^2, and plug in everything I have and solve for v, this should give me the correct answer?

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct-o-mundo!

Edit: except for the answer to W!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?