Why is the Sign of Work and Energy Important?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion with determining the correct sign for potential energy and work in a system involving a rotating dipole. The formula for potential energy includes a negative sign, but it is not always clear which sign to use in calculations. The conversation expresses a need for clarity and consistency in determining the sign and an example is requested to help with understanding.
jegues

Homework Statement

There are two problems attached that illustrate my confusions, but my questions is more general than this specific example.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem where we are asked for the potential energy,

When the dipole moment is parallel to the electric field, it has 0 potential energy.

[tex]U_{i} = - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{E} = 0[/tex]

When the dipole rotates 60 degrees, the potential energy is not 0.

[tex]U_{f} = -\vec{p} \cdot \vec{E} = -pEcos\theta[/tex]

The potential enegry given from the formula is negative, but there are only positive answers as possibilities.

I know it is obvious to choose the positive one that corresponds to our answer, but sometimes both negative a positive quantities are listed as possible answers, and I am often confused on which one to choose.

Why is that negative sign in our formula for potential energy, what's its purpose?

For problem number 2 where we are asked for the work,

Initially there is 0 potential energy in the system (perpendicular),

[tex]U_{i} = 0[/tex]

but then the dipole rotates such that it is parallel to the direction of the field so,

[tex]U_{f} = -pE[/tex]

Now,

[tex]W = \Delta U = U_{f} - U_{i} = -pE - 0 = -pE[/tex]

It seems as though the work is negative, but the correct answer is that it is positive.

What am I mixing up?

What do I need to think about and be consistent with to eliminate these sign errors?

Please be as clear as possible. A good example to remember how to determine the sign would be excellent.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• UCONF.JPG
    UCONF.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 335
  • WORKCONF.JPG
    WORKCONF.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, still looking for some help on this, tests tomorrow!

1. What is the difference between positive and negative work?

Positive work refers to the process of an external force causing an object to move in the direction of the force. This results in an increase in the object's energy. On the other hand, negative work refers to the process of an external force acting on an object in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in its energy.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another. In other words, work is the process of changing an object's energy state. This can be seen in the formula for work, W = F*d, where F is the force applied and d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Thus, work is a way to convert energy from one form to another.

3. Can an object have negative energy?

No, an object cannot have negative energy. Energy is a scalar quantity that can only have positive values. However, the sign of work done on an object can be negative, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy.

4. How is work and energy related to power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in units of watts (W), which is equal to one joule per second. This means that the more power an object has, the faster it can do work or transfer energy. For example, a car with a higher horsepower (power) can do work (move) faster than a car with a lower horsepower.

5. Can work and energy be negative?

No, work and energy cannot be negative. As mentioned earlier, energy is a scalar quantity that can only have positive values. Work, on the other hand, can have a negative value if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. However, the total energy of a system will always be positive or zero, as energy cannot be destroyed or created, only transferred or converted.