Work Hardening percentage calculation

I think you have a typo in your formula. It should be ##x = \frac{Ao -Ad2}{Ao}\times100\%##. In summary, to find the total percentage of cold work, you need to use the formula %CW = (Ao - Ad2)/Ao x 100, where Ao is the initial thickness and Ad2 is the thickness after the additional cold work.
Ben James
Plate previous cold-worked 20% is 50 mm thick. It is then cold-worked further to 33 mm. What is the total percent cold work?

I know %CW= (Ao − Ad/ Ao) x 100

I know the answer should be 47.2%, but I don't get that. What are the first steps I need to take?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start with what you know. I assume Ao is initial thickness and Ad is thickness after work. If not, please provide more detail on what these variables are.
.20 = (Ao -Ad1/Ao) --- Are you sure this shouldn't be (Ao-Ad)/Ao?
Solve that to find Ao.
Then plug into find your percentage::
x = (Ao-Ad2/Ao). Or maybe (Ao-Ad2)/Ao.

I worked it out, and yes... it is clear that using the assumptions I made above, you need to use ##.20 = \frac{Ao -50}{Ao}## to find Ao. And then apply the same formula to find ##x = \frac{Ao -33}{Ao}\times100\%##.
Please be careful with your parentheses.

FAQ: Work Hardening percentage calculation

1. What is work hardening percentage calculation?

Work hardening percentage calculation is a method used to quantify the amount of hardening that occurs in a material as a result of plastic deformation. It is typically expressed as the percentage increase in the material's yield strength after undergoing plastic deformation.

2. How is work hardening percentage calculated?

Work hardening percentage is calculated by taking the difference between the material's yield strength before and after plastic deformation, dividing it by the yield strength before deformation, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Why is work hardening percentage important?

Work hardening percentage is important because it helps us understand how a material will behave under different levels of stress. It can also give valuable insights into the material's strength and ductility, which are important factors in many engineering applications.

4. What factors can affect the work hardening percentage of a material?

The work hardening percentage of a material can be affected by various factors, such as the material's composition, grain size, and temperature. The type and amount of plastic deformation also play a significant role in determining the work hardening percentage.

5. Can work hardening percentage be negative?

Yes, work hardening percentage can be negative. This occurs when the material experiences softening or a decrease in yield strength after plastic deformation. This can happen in certain materials, such as some metals, due to factors like grain growth or dynamic recrystallization.