Work problem of person pushing box

In summary: The forces doing work on the box are Ff (frictional force), Fn (normal force), gravity (mg), and Fp (force of pus). When the box is in motion it has kinetic energy. Am not getting this one sorry.
jacy
hi,
Please help me with this problem, thanks.

Harry pushes a box (that weighs 98 N) with a force of 20 N on ice. After he stops pushing the box is still in motion. The kinetic energy of the box is 20 J and the coefficient of friction is .05. Find
a) Mass of the box?
b) Force of friction on the box?
c) Magnitude of work done by friction to stop the box?
d) How far the box will slide before stopping?

I figured out the 1st part.
F= mg
98 N = m * 9.8 m/s^2
m= 10 kg

The mass of the box is 10 kg.

I don't know how to proceed further. Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part B can be solved using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.
Part C would be the same as the kinetic energy, because all of the energy must be dissipated.
Part D would be solved using the Law of Conservation of Energy.

andrewchang said:
Part B can be solved using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.
Part C would be the same as the kinetic energy, because all of the energy must be dissipated.
Part D would be solved using the Law of Conservation of Energy.

This is what am comming up for the B part

Fn - mg -Fp sin(theta) = 0
Fn = mg + Fp sin(theta)

mgcos(theta) - Ff = ma

I don't know the angle theta, what should i do know, thanks.

I don't see any angle in the original problem you posted. According to the problem, it sounds like it is just being pushed straight, so no angle should be involved. And you don't need the mgcos(theta) - Ff = ma for part B. To solve for friction you only need the normal force and the coefficient of friction.

I have solved the problem for u, For nr 2 You take Fg*m*0,05 = And you get the Frictionwork. For nr 3 its the same because all energy does not go away it transforms so it must be 20J. And nr 4 it's just to take S = W/F because the defintion for work is W= F*S

I hope this is right, this is what is what popped up for me anyway.

Izekid said:
I have solved the problem for u, For nr 2 You take Fg*m*0,05 = And you get the Frictionwork. For nr 3 its the same because all energy does not go away it transforms so it must be 20J. And nr 4 it's just to take S = W/F because the defintion for work is W= F*S

I hope this is right, this is what is what popped up for me anyway.

Thanks, but won't u think the friction force and displacement are in the opposite direction so the angle between them will be 180 degrees.
W= F*d cos 180. What do u think, thanks for looking at my problem.

Jeann25 said:
I don't see any angle in the original problem you posted. According to the problem, it sounds like it is just being pushed straight, so no angle should be involved. And you don't need the mgcos(theta) - Ff = ma for part B. To solve for friction you only need the normal force and the coefficient of friction.

Thanks for your help.

Ff = coeff of friction * Fn
= .05 * 98 N
= 4.9 N

For the work done by friction force
W(f) = Ff * d cos 180
since the friction and displacement are in the opposite direction,so the angle between them is 180. Now what should i do for W(f). I have two unknowns W(f) and d, thanks.

jacy said:
I have two unknowns W(f) and d, thanks.

Actually, you can figure out what W(f) is from the problem.

NateTG said:
Actually, you can figure out what W(f) is from the problem.

Will W(f) will be -Ff, thanks

The box starts out in motion (with 20 Joules of Kinetic Energy) and then comes to a stop. What forces are doing work on the box?

drawing a free body diagram might help

NateTG said:
The box starts out in motion (with 20 Joules of Kinetic Energy) and then comes to a stop. What forces are doing work on the box?

The forces doing work on the box are Ff (frictional force), Fn (normal force), gravity (mg), and Fp (force of pus). When the box is in motion it has kinetic energy. Am not getting this one sorry.

is there really the force of the push on the box? check the question again.

Force describes a *condition*, visible in a snapshot diagram (FBD).
Work is something that occurs (is DONE) during a process -
the process changes the starting condition into the ending condition.

The Force component *parallel to* the displacement does Work
as the displacement is accomplished (W = F.dx)
This means that Energy is transferred from one object to another
(thru the contact area) as that contact point moves.

Where does the block's KE end up?

andrewchang said:
is there really the force of the push on the box? check the question again.

The force of push is there on the box intially. After the box begins to move there is no push.

lightgrav said:
Force describes a *condition*, visible in a snapshot diagram (FBD).
Work is something that occurs (is DONE) during a process -
the process changes the starting condition into the ending condition.

The Force component *parallel to* the displacement does Work
as the displacement is accomplished (W = F.dx)
This means that Energy is transferred from one object to another
(thru the contact area) as that contact point moves.

Where does the block's KE end up?

The box's KE ends up when it comes to stop.

jacy said:
The force of push is there on the box intially. After the box begins to move there is no push.

yeah, so that means that there's 20 Joules of kinetic energy initially, and the work done by friction decreases it all to zero. So, the [itex] -W_f = KE [/itex]. You can solve for the displacement of the box by using [itex] W_f = F d cos(Theta) [/itex]

the direction doesn't matter, since the question asks for a magnitude

Last edited:
andrewchang said:
yeah, so that means that there's 20 Joules of kinetic energy initially, and the work done by friction decreases it all to zero. So, the [itex] -W_f = KE [/itex]. You can solve for the displacement of the box by using [itex] W_f = F d cos(Theta) [/itex]

the direction doesn't matter, since the question asks for a magnitude

Thanks for ur help.

1. What is the work problem of a person pushing a box?

The work problem of a person pushing a box is the amount of effort or energy needed to move the box from one location to another. It involves both the force applied by the person and the distance the box is moved.

2. How is the work problem of pushing a box calculated?

The work problem of pushing a box is calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the box is moved.

3. Does the weight of the box affect the work problem of pushing it?

Yes, the weight of the box does affect the work problem of pushing it. The heavier the box, the more force and energy is required to move it, resulting in a higher work problem.

4. Is the work problem of pushing a box different for different surfaces?

Yes, the work problem of pushing a box can vary depending on the surface it is being pushed on. For example, pushing a box on a smooth surface will require less force and energy compared to pushing it on a rough surface.

5. How can the work problem of pushing a box be reduced?

The work problem of pushing a box can be reduced by using methods such as leveraging, where a person can use their body weight and leverage to make it easier to push the box. Additionally, using tools such as a dolly or wheels can also reduce the work problem by decreasing the force needed to move the box.